ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Gamecocks

tmoreau

Jun 26, 2002
I am officially on board now as a fan of USC. We dropped our daughter off on Monday to start marching band practice. She is a freshman this year, and is really looking forward to being a student in Columbia. Any quick comments about tradition, going to games, etc. -tips on tailgating, parking for non-connected, what to do or avoid during football weekends? Much appreciated. We have been on campus a few times, but mostly without students there. Seems like there will be a lot of options on visits.

I don't know much about the team, but will try to learn quickly. I am an Illinois grad and have been a Rivals member of the University of Illinois site for 13 years now. We have a son that is a sophomore at NC State, so now we have the SEC, Big Ten and ACC covered. Thank goodness we avoided Clemson as a choice (this much I know about USC fans).

I'll let others add their tips and suggestions, but one thing you'll be interested in is the Gamecock Walk before every home game. Especially since your daughter is in the band. It starts about an hour and a half before gametime. If you'd like to sit near the band look for tickets in sections 21 and 22 (east lower stands). The higher up in rows the better view from this section, you're also near the band.

I'll let others add their tips and suggestions, but one thing you'll be interested in is the Gamecock Walk before every home game. Especially since your daughter is in the band. It starts about an hour and a half before gametime. If you'd like to sit near the band look for tickets in sections 21 and 22 (east lower stands). The higher up in rows the better view from this section, you're also near the band.
Thanks, we have ticket to the Mizzou game (Illini much hated basketball rival) so it will be fun to see USC beat them. We are pretty far from the band for that game. It is Family Weekend, so I understand the band plays at the tailgate party.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Thanks, we have ticket to the Mizzou game (Illini much hated basketball rival) so it will be fun to see USC beat them. We are pretty far from the band for that game. It is Family Weekend, so I understand the band plays at the tailgate party.
Don't worry, we can't stand Missouri either. Make sure to get into your seat early so you can watch the band during pre-game and during 2001. Then there's the halftime performance you won't want to miss.

I am officially on board now as a fan of USC. We dropped our daughter off on Monday to start marching band practice. She is a freshman this year, and is really looking forward to being a student in Columbia. Any quick comments about tradition, going to games, etc. -tips on tailgating, parking for non-connected, what to do or avoid during football weekends? Much appreciated. We have been on campus a few times, but mostly without students there. Seems like there will be a lot of options on visits.

I don't know much about the team, but will try to learn quickly. I am an Illinois grad and have been a Rivals member of the University of Illinois site for 13 years now. We have a son that is a sophomore at NC State, so now we have the SEC, Big Ten and ACC covered. Thank goodness we avoided Clemson as a choice (this much I know about USC fans).
Time for you to move to Charleston, SC now. :)

Welcome aboard

Visit Riverbanks Zoo
When it gets cooler outside, go see some movies at the Big Mo
Don't let a noon game be your first tailgating experience with the Gamecocks.
Bringing $40 if you want to park close to the stadium.
Try eating at Bernies chicken before a game for your first non-tailgating experience.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Monday? Jeez they move the band folks in early! Welcome to Carolina; hope it’s a great year

Visit Riverbanks Zoo
When it gets cooler outside, go see some movies at the Big Mo
Don't let a noon game be your first tailgating experience with the Gamecocks.
Bringing $40 if you want to park close to the stadium.
Try eating at Bernies chicken before a game for your first non-tailgating experience.
All of this! Or if you want, you can pay $20 and park directly across from Bernie's and it's not too far of a walk to the stadium.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

A simple list:

1. Hate Clempson
2. Hate Georgia
3. Tailgate early and big
4. Wear Garnet
5. Wave the white towel
6. Yell loud

Welcome to Gamecock fandom. I sit across the aisle from the band. The best advice you can give your daughter is to drink plenty of water, especially early in the season. They will be in direct sun the entire game during day games. As far as parking, I have reserved parking in the Fairgrounds, but they also have some general admission parking on gamedays for $30 or $40. The team coming out to 2001 is always a thrill and something you don't want to miss.

The Soda City Market on Main Street is fun on Saturday mornings/early afternoon and as mentioned above, the Sheraton Rooftop Bar is a good way to see the city from above. Also, the revolving restaurant atop Capstone House offers great views of downtown, the stadium, the University and Five Points. They serve lunch on Fridays and brunch on Sundays for the public and you need a reservation. The restaurant is called Top of Carolina. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-of-Carolina-Restaurant/227525490708441

599478_10151031795062351_84019742_n.jpg

380731_10151031792832351_163055807_n.jpg

528051_10151031792087351_1625027647_n.jpg

Last edited:
I sat and ate lunch with some nice people from Chicago during parent/student orientation back in June.

Carolina Band alum here! Welcome to Gamecock Nation and thanks for raising such a smart daughter! See if there is a facebook group for band parents (if not, start one!)--if so, I'd be willing to bet they will organize a tailgate party for Family Weekend. One possibility is parking at Colonial Life Arena and taking a shuttle to the stadium area. This works out great if you are joining others to tailgate.

Reactions: MAB123
Since you are a band parent, this probably goes without saying. But whatever else you do, make sure you are at (not necessarily "in") your seat in time for 2001. I'm not sure what football environments you are used to, but I've been places where the stadium isn't full until about halfway through the first quarter. Williams-Brice is not one of those places.

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167

Hello , let your daughter know I would do anything to assist her moving forward .
Little boys are afraid of me, & I want To see more women in leadership roles!

Take a guided tour of the S.C. State House and learn some of the rich history of our State.

Welcome, You will be getting Chills at 2001..Gives me chills thinking about it!! But like someone metnioned, these early games are CRAZY Hot.. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate..

Since you are a band parent, this probably goes without saying. But whatever else you do, make sure you are at (not necessarily "in") your seat in time for 2001. I'm not sure what football environments you are used to, but I've been places where the stadium isn't full until about halfway through the first quarter. Williams-Brice is not one of those places.
I went to Illinois and you ask what kind of football environment I am used to? I would buy tickets from scalpers for $5, sit anywhere I wanted to and if I didn't sing the national anthem, then the place was pretty quiet. Illinois has a good season once a decade, if that, so the stadium is pretty dead. It is a basketball school for a reason.
Thanks - we will get there early and enjoy the buzz around the stadium. We drove around the stadium with our daughter - really impressive setting.

Carolina Band alum here! Welcome to Gamecock Nation and thanks for raising such a smart daughter! See if there is a facebook group for band parents (if not, start one!)--if so, I'd be willing to bet they will organize a tailgate party for Family Weekend. One possibility is parking at Colonial Life Arena and taking a shuttle to the stadium area. This works out great if you are joining others to tailgate.
I like the shuttle idea, especially for our first experience. Any idea how early the shuttles start?

I went to Illinois and you ask what kind of football environment I am used to? I would buy tickets from scalpers for $5, sit anywhere I wanted to and if I didn't sing the national anthem, then the place was pretty quiet. Illinois has a good season once a decade, if that, so the stadium is pretty dead. It is a basketball school for a reason.
Thanks - we will get there early and enjoy the buzz around the stadium. We drove around the stadium with our daughter - really impressive setting.
We had a local kicker come play for Illinois in ~2000.
Stephen Fitts
https://fightingillini.com/sports/2015/7/18/football_alltimerosters_2000.aspx?#2000

If you haven't been to another football game other than at home for Illinois... you are in for a treat.

Especially on a gameday when the Gamecocks play an SEC team.

Ok, I was talking about the date that various brand new/first year students arrive.
Back when I was at Carolina, I don't think anyone other than football moved in early. I have to say it's probably good that they stagger it now. Although I don't like main move-in day being on a Monday. Saturday seems so much more convenient, especially for parents.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Back when I was at Carolina, I don't think anyone other than football moved in early. I have to say it's probably good that they stagger it now. Although I don't like main move-in day being on a Monday. Saturday seems so much more convenient, especially for parents.
I agree. Not sure how they got off Saturday other than they want to reduce the amount of time people are on campus with "nothing to do" because that's a "red zone" according to the student conduct folks

I agree. Not sure how they got off Saturday other than they want to reduce the amount of time people are on campus with "nothing to do" because that's a "red zone" according to the student conduct folks
The irony in that statement is that they have no problem with the Greeks being on campus early. Since Greeks "do nothing but drink and get into trouble". :rolleyes:

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
None of us can, as far as some are concerned on that campus.
They have a tough job IMO. On one hand Greek Life has been part of Carolina forever and what's gone on has gone on and it's been ok. On the other hand there are multimillion dollar lawsuits and people's safety at stake. I do not envy the people who work in that office because you'd have to have a dual mindset all day. "Come to Carolina! Greek Life is great here! Don't think about drinking though! Lights out at 10!"

They have a tough job IMO. On one hand Greek Life has been part of Carolina forever and what's gone on has gone on and it's been ok. On the other hand there are multimillion dollar lawsuits and people's safety at stake. I do not envy the people who work in that office because you'd have to have a dual mindset all day. "Come to Carolina! Greek Life is great here! Don't think about drinking though! Lights out at 10!"
Yes, it's tough. People want to say that we are terrible and do nothing but party. Yet if there is any kind of community service event, who's the first group called - Greeks, because they know we'll show up.

For instance, the article that came out this summer in The State. All it talked about is how alcohol incidents were down in Greek Life. Which is a good thing, of course. But no where did it mention that we have a higher average GPA than the entire student body GPA. That we lead the campus in community service hours, and monies raised for charity, and it has been that way for years. Why not mention ALL the good that Greeks do on campus and in the community? Oh that's right...it doesn't sell papers.

I just think FSL would do well to promote the positives of Greek Life when articles like that come out, or anytime there is a negative Greek news story, either locally or Nationally, while at the same time not condoning the negative actions of Greeks. Sadly the actions of few overshadow the good of the many.

Anyway...stepping off the soapbox now.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I was in the Carolina Band myself and it was the best four years of my life. Please encourage her to stick with it for all four years! The amount of opportunities, especially to travel all over the country for FREE, is amazing.

Also, if you need any tickets to come and watch her perform at games, I work in the ticket sales office and can assist. My direct information is (803) 777-9947 and chavisjm@mailbox.sc.edu.

Congratulations! I was in the Carolina Band myself and it was the best four years of my life. Please encourage her to stick with it for all four years! The amount of opportunities, especially to travel all over the country for FREE, is amazing.

Also, if you need any tickets to come and watch her perform at games, I work in the ticket sales office and can assist. My direct information is (803) 777-9947 and chavisjm@mailbox.sc.edu.
What a great offer, thanks. Talked with her last night and the first three days have been exhausting, but she was giddy with excitement about the whole experience so far.

Reactions: USCTicketSales
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT