ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Gamecocks

What a great offer, thanks. Talked with her last night and the first three days have been exhausting, but she was giddy with excitement about the whole experience so far.
She will be performing for the best fans in college football! When Williams Brice is rockin' there's nothing else on earth like it!

Our family tailgate has game cock flags & pirate flags across the street from Js Place.
Y’all are welcome for a beer

I went to Illinois and you ask what kind of football environment I am used to? I would buy tickets from scalpers for $5, sit anywhere I wanted to and if I didn't sing the national anthem, then the place was pretty quiet. Illinois has a good season once a decade, if that, so the stadium is pretty dead. It is a basketball school for a reason.
Thanks - we will get there early and enjoy the buzz around the stadium. We drove around the stadium with our daughter - really impressive setting.
Lol. Well, that's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to disparage Illinois. The crowds in Williams-Brice aren't quite what they used to be due to TV and a recent change in pricing structure for season tickets, but unless the team is in a death spiral by the time of your visit, I think we'll have a pretty good crowd for the Missouri game. The prior two games are on the road, so our fans should be hungry for some football.

I agree. Not sure how they got off Saturday other than they want to reduce the amount of time people are on campus with "nothing to do" because that's a "red zone" according to the student conduct folks

After my 1st semester, my roommate and I made plans to move in and return from holidays as soon as we were allowed. Being on campus with nothing to do? We loved that! It’s the only time in my life when I had such freedom (within reason of course).

Reactions: Gaimcock
I am officially on board now as a fan of USC. We dropped our daughter off on Monday to start marching band practice. She is a freshman this year, and is really looking forward to being a student in Columbia. Any quick comments about tradition, going to games, etc. -tips on tailgating, parking for non-connected, what to do or avoid during football weekends? Much appreciated. We have been on campus a few times, but mostly without students there. Seems like there will be a lot of options on visits.

I don't know much about the team, but will try to learn quickly. I am an Illinois grad and have been a Rivals member of the University of Illinois site for 13 years now. We have a son that is a sophomore at NC State, so now we have the SEC, Big Ten and ACC covered. Thank goodness we avoided Clemson as a choice (this much I know about USC fans).

we will take all the 50's (51's), u can find!:)

Get accustomed to your daughter yelling "GO COCKS!" often. :p

Check out the State Museum to get a feel for our state's long history. The Spanish were the first Europeans here (Port Royal (on Parris Island) and Winyah Bay (Georgetown)) in early 1500's, the French after that, then the British. A lot to absorb.

Join the rest of us and get a Palmetto and Crescent Moon sticker for your car (at least her car) to fit in. You will see them everywhere here. Anybody from South Carolina instantly recognizes it as a tie to our state. It's from our state flag and is connected to the Revolutionary War. Fort Moultrie, Charleston Harbor was fortfied with palmetto trees. The moist, fibrous wood didn't splinter when hit by British cannon balls. The native palmetto defeated the "Mighty Oak" of the British fleet.

Get to know South Carolina BBQ. Great mustard based BBQ in the Columbia area. Arguably (and I do mean arguably) the best is Rodney Scott's BBQ, and other vinegar and pepper based BBQ from areas halfway towards Myrtle Beach and Charleston from Columbia. Rodney has a new restaurant in Charleston, if you make it there.

Note about band, they sit near the northeast ramp (closest corner to campus) going to the upper deck. You can get a good, close view of the band from the ramp, before exiting unto the upper deck concourse.

We had a local kicker come play for Illinois in ~2000.
Stephen Fitts
https://fightingillini.com/sports/2015/7/18/football_alltimerosters_2000.aspx?#2000

If you haven't been to another football game other than at home for Illinois... you are in for a treat.

Especially on a gameday when the Gamecocks play an SEC team.
I do remember him. Schools like Illinois are better off taking 2 star guys from the south than 4 star guys from instate. Just better players and the rating systems can't use all the 4 and 5 star ratings in the south, although they should.

I am officially on board now as a fan of USC. We dropped our daughter off on Monday to start marching band practice. She is a freshman this year, and is really looking forward to being a student in Columbia. Any quick comments about tradition, going to games, etc. -tips on tailgating, parking for non-connected, what to do or avoid during football weekends? Much appreciated. We have been on campus a few times, but mostly without students there. Seems like there will be a lot of options on visits.

I don't know much about the team, but will try to learn quickly. I am an Illinois grad and have been a Rivals member of the University of Illinois site for 13 years now. We have a son that is a sophomore at NC State, so now we have the SEC, Big Ten and ACC covered. Thank goodness we avoided Clemson as a choice (this much I know about USC fans).
welcome...

please don't slip up and wear any fighting illini urange around here

go cocks!

Reactions: vacock#
I do remember him. Schools like Illinois are better off taking 2 star guys from the south than 4 star guys from instate. Just better players and the rating systems can't use all the 4 and 5 star ratings in the south, although they should.
He was the star quarterback for my high school. Natural athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT