ADVERTISEMENT

hey bat, 4 the luv of the game...

I just don't get the "baseball is too long" thing. How many people sat and watched golf for 4+ hours yesterday? You can NEVER have too much baseball.
Although I do prefer a 2-1 pitchers' duel over a hitters' fest every day and twice on Sunday.

Me too. What I love most about baseball is watching the game within the game.
If they want to speed it up, eliminate warm up pitches for incoming relievers(from the mound). Every time there's a change it's 10 minutes, at least. If each team changes 3 times, that's an extra hour. And no more stepping out of the box to unwrap and rewrap the gloves.

Reactions: SCexpat38
You can't can the warm up throws from the mount for relievers because not all mounds are exactly the same the pitcher has to get a feel. There ain't too many ways to speed up baseball but I don't like a pitcher having to throw 4 pitches to an intentional walk.

You can't can the warm up throws from the mount for relievers because not all mounds are exactly the same the pitcher has to get a feel. There ain't too many ways to speed up baseball but I don't like a pitcher having to throw 4 pitches to an intentional walk.

well, u'd have a spot n bid d's heart:)

"don drysdale would consider an intentional walk a waste of 3 pitches. ....if he wants 2 put u on base, he can hit u w/ one pitch." ~ mike shannon

Baseball takes time. It’s an experience if you’re there and more commercials for tv.

Have had to explain this to my family a few times this week. Baseball isn’t for everyone, but it’s more of a day out at the park. You can’t call it a good day or a bad day based on the results. It’s about being outside, watching the game, and eating hotdogs and all kinds of other stuff.

Heck, they should write a song about it...

Reactions: rogue cock
That's a trivial issue. I would bet that the home teams pen mound is the same. So, just pass a rule that at a given ball park, pen an field mounds have to be the same. Heck is just a little dirt.

Didn’t one of our pitchers throw a wild pitch on an intentional walk attempt which scored a run vs Clemson during game 3 at Founders Park in 2017? If you don’t have to throw 4 balls, that would eliminate a possible scoring opportunity for teams facing a really crappy pitcher.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Didn’t one of our pitchers throw a wild pitch on an intentional walk attempt which scored a run vs Clemson during game 3 at Founders Park in 2017? If you don’t have to throw 4 balls, that would eliminate a possible scoring opportunity for teams facing a really crappy pitcher.

its the first basic thing we ever do, it called pitch & catch

Reactions: DrMickey

MLB has eliminated the 4 pitch intentional walk. Now they just go straight to 1st like little league. It’s kind of weird, but probably better than watching a pitcher throw 4 balls. Though it is strangely entertaining when a pitcher has the yips and struggles making that throw. Well...unless it’s my team’s pitcher.

Right. I was a pitcher in high school and college and the hardest thing to do is lob four balls intentionally. It'd kinda nuts to have to.

Interestingly, when MLB approved the change to do away with the 4 pitch walk before the 2017 season, that following weekend college ball opened play. That weekend alone there were two (?) walk-offs, thanks to a wild pitch on an IBB.

Yes. It ended up being the winning run.

Reactions: wallycock
I just don't get the "baseball is too long" thing. How many people sat and watched golf for 4+ hours yesterday? You can NEVER have too much baseball.
Although I do prefer a 2-1 pitchers' duel over a hitters' fest every day and twice on Sunday.
i agree, then Disagree... I think the Baseball "Experience" is more about just being outside with Friends and Family (IMO only). You can afford to miss a few plays by going to grab a beer and a hot dog, with the Wife and daughter. I will disagree on the Golf, I love watching golf, Will watch the Masters, British Open, etc over the Super Bowl, World Series or NHL Playoffs any DAY!!..

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
What level? There's a reason you see pitchers shuffling dirt etc. on mounds.

While I agree with this I would also say sometimes that just becomes ritual. I noticed one of Mississippi States pitchers shuffling the dirt during the Super Regional at Vanderbilt. But that’s an artificial mound so it literally did nothing.

i agree, then Disagree... I think the Baseball "Experience" is more about just being outside with Friends and Family (IMO only). You can afford to miss a few plays by going to grab a beer and a hot dog, with the Wife and daughter. I will disagree on the Golf, I love watching golf, Will watch the Masters, British Open, etc over the Super Bowl, World Series or NHL Playoffs any DAY!!..
I was just using the golf as an example for people who say baseball is boring and lasts too long, yet have no problem watching the other "boring" sport that lasts even longer. :D

My son plays golf, competitively, so I'm VERY familiar with watching golf for LONG hours regularly.

Baseball is a chess match on grass. Speeding it up is only dumbing it down. Sad to see the attention span of todays "fan" has shrunk to this level.
Those that find it boring or "too slow" just dont understand all thats going on. Its kind of like me and soccer. Dont get it, never will.

Reactions: rogue cock
Baseball is a chess match on grass. Speeding it up is only dumbing it down. Sad to see the attention span of todays "fan" has shrunk to this level.
Those that find it boring or "too slow" just dont understand all to hitthats going on. Its kind of like me and soccer. Dont get it, never will.
The game within the game. That's what's fun watching. I still think there is some dead time that could be eliminated. Carolina4 mentioned all the ritual stuff. Batters stepping out, unwrapping the gloves, wrapping the gloves, looking at the bat, take a deep breath, sigh, shuffle some dirt, step in, Strike out looking on 3 pitches. Cripes in you ain't ready to hit coming off the bus, all that stuff isn't gonna help. Major waste of time. 30 seconds, each at bat, minimum of 54 at bats, that's another 27 minutes right there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT