ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Karl Ravech

No need to put anything on their jerseys. They didn't go to any classes so they cant read what it says.

Reactions: mbsurfside
Unfortunately outside of South Carolina the term Carolina belongs to UNC. This situation, similar to Southern Cal, we did not brand properly.

Reactions: midline
Unfortunately outside of South Carolina the term Carolina belongs to UNC. This situation, similar to Southern Cal, we did not brand properly.

California wasn't even a state when the University of South Carolina came to be. I refer to them as SC west.

California wasn't even a state when the University of South Carolina came to be. I refer to them as SC west.

You might, however the rest of the nation does not. We have been playing catch up in terms of branding since we started. Take your example of instance. We had a university before they had a state. Guess who is the most well known? Get it?

You might, however the rest of the nation does not. We have been playing catch up in terms of branding since we started. Take your example of instance. We had a university before they had a state. Guess who is the most well known? Get it?

Nope.... branding is a perception or an opinion & varies from person to person & by area & region, I good with mine & my university.

California can have there 40 million people and love SoCal as much as they want.

I prefer South Carolina and our 5 million (even having to accept some care for that north west college on our state line.

Population & major markets impact branding. I travel extensively for a living and love that most people I meet have no idea where Irmo or Lexington is, much less Columbia (or Pickens county ;) ) So when I tell folks I live an hour south of Charlotte & less than an hour from where the Masters is played 99.8% say ohhh . Their perception of branding could never be mine and that is ok.

Didn’t hurt having MJ lead the way. And of course all those so cal running backs. That, like the poster above said, branded those two schools in the minds of everyone outside the state of SC. ‘Carolina’ nor USC doesn’t just belong to unc or so cal but the Univ of South Carolina is not the first thought to the average Joe.

Didn’t hurt having MJ lead the way. And of course all those so cal running backs. That, like the poster above said, branded those two schools in the minds of everyone outside the state of SC. ‘Carolina’ nor USC doesn’t just belong to unc or so cal but the Univ of South Carolina is not the first thought to the average Joe.
From a national (and international) perspective, you may have a point. But from a local area or regional perspective, just as was Horseshoe's point, then your point is mute.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

Correct there are a lot more average joes in total outside of South Carolina than there are in South Carolina. But they sure do like to move here and buy homes & vacation property & then all the sudden they see (being nice here) the impact of schools to our state & see what real college rivalries look like.

The Blue schools basketball relevance and staying power boggles my mind and has taken me years to just accept , still can’t stand it but one day....... I hope humility is forced upon them, not likely to happen at the same time but one can dream.

Nope.... branding is a perception or an opinion & varies from person to person & by area & region, I good with mine & my university.

California can have there 40 million people and love SoCal as much as they want.

I prefer South Carolina and our 5 million (even having to accept some care for that north west college on our state line.

Population & major markets impact branding. I travel extensively for a living and love that most people I meet have no idea where Irmo or Lexington is, much less Columbia (or Pickens county ;) ) So when I tell folks I live an hour south of Charlotte & less than an hour from where the Masters is played 99.8% say ohhh . Their perception of branding could never be mine and that is ok.

Oh...I guess you don’t get it.

From a national (and international) perspective, you may have a point. But from a local area or regional perspective, just as was Horseshoe's point, then your point is mute.

The original post was about Karl Ravich of espn referring to unc as ‘Carolina,’ not if local fans think that. It’s ok to not like that he is doing that, just trying to explain why.

Point I was making is that the avg Joe hears ‘Carolina’ and thinks unc-ch. mainstream media caters to avg Joe, not just to the citizens of sc.

Oh...I guess you don’t get it.

More people in total impact branding

History is fact

Do I want some more trophies & rings yes.

Do I want to compete and influence LA, NY, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta other big cities, not in the least. It’s why they have more electoral votes. It’s why I’m happy to fly home & leave those places.

Please be specific in what you think I don’t get. I’m pretty certain I grasp how others view South Carolina & our school & what Their perception is, & how little they may value our brand and previous branding to this point.

The beauty is we aren’t them

Be careful they will call you a tater for speaking the truth. Crazy thing is its 60 year old men doing the name calling. That's just sad

The original post was about Karl Ravich of espn referring to unc as ‘Carolina,’ not if local fans think that. It’s ok to not like that he is doing that, just trying to explain why.

Point I was making is that the avg Joe hears ‘Carolina’ and thinks unc-ch. mainstream media caters to avg Joe, not just to the citizens of sc.

Very Correct! I’m good with that too. Avg Joe probably has no idea that UN-Carolina gave grades to young people....

Very Correct! I’m good with that too. Avg Joe probably has no idea that UN-Carolina gave grades to young people....

100% agree. They are arrogant a holes that assumed 1000s of blacks couldn’t cut it academically so they created a sham degree after K’s 2 titles in the 90s. The timeline lines up exactly. That said, MJ branded that school so well that the most successful football school is willing to put his logo on their jersey.

100% agree. They are arrogant a holes that assumed 1000s of blacks couldn’t cut it academically so they created a sham degree after K’s 2 titles in the 90s. The timeline lines up exactly. That said, MJ branded that school so well that the most successful football school is willing to put his logo on their jersey.

I would say the MJ/jump man brand is bigger than the college he attended but it certainly has helped their Basketball program

Ironically the nba logo is a guy that played hoops at West Virginia and nobody under 40 likely knows that. You certainly don’t see it incorporated in any wvu unis.

I always figure anybody who thinks USC is that school in Southern California is probably a yankee to begin with and trying to explain is not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow them up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT