ADVERTISEMENT

Hey uscg1984....

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I just watched Rock the Park which features a National Park every week. This week's feature was the Black Canyon in Colorado. Man, I'm so glad you put me on to that park. It showed the road we traveled and a couple of other places we saw and stopped.

However, it showed a couple of places we didn't visit in the park that I wished we had. For example, it featured a kayak trip down a slow moving river with beautiful huge mountain rock formations and a cool camp site. Also, a hike up a steep rock type formation to reach a breath taking overlook of the canyon. But my wife isn't going to do any camping so that was out for us. LOL! But she would have done the kayak ride down the river.

I'm glad you were able to work the Black Canyon into your Colorado trip, Freddie. I really believe it has to be the most underrated (and least advertised) national park in the entire system. It's other-worldy.

As for the show highlighting some great things that you didn't get to see, that doesn't surprise me. In my trips to western parks, I've found that you can never spend enough time in a park to see it all - no matter how much time you spend there. In the last couple of years, I guess I've spent about 30 days in Yellowstone and every time I go back, I discover something spectacular that I've somehow managed to overlook on all those previous trips. During the same span, I've spent about 6 days in Glacier and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of that park. The Black Canyon is a much smaller park, but I'd love to have the time to thoroughly hike those trails.

I'm glad you were able to work the Black Canyon into your Colorado trip, Freddie. I really believe it has to be the most underrated (and least advertised) national park in the entire system. It's other-worldy.

As for the show highlighting some great things that you didn't get to see, that doesn't surprise me. In my trips to western parks, I've found that you can never spend enough time in a park to see it all - no matter how much time you spend there. In the last couple of years, I guess I've spent about 30 days in Yellowstone and every time I go back, I discover something spectacular that I've somehow managed to overlook on all those previous trips. During the same span, I've spent about 6 days in Glacier and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of that park. The Black Canyon is a much smaller park, but I'd love to have the time to thoroughly hike those trails.

You just echoed my thoughts verbatim about National Parks. We visited Yellowstone in 2013 and spent five days inside the park and boy do I ever want to visit again. We also saw the Grand Tetons and I didn't get nearly all of the sight seeing in I wanted there. Plus, I spent about two and a half days in Glacier National Park. Loved that place. There was one trail I found in the park that I would love to hike, Huck Finn or something like that was the name of the trail. It was six miles one way. I would only want to hike it with someone just in case of running into bears. LOL!

But man oh man, I've got to get back out West soon.

EDIT: The two host of the show basically said it was one of the most underrated parks in the entire world. I can't speak for the entire world but it is definitely one of the most underrated parks I've ever visited.

I didn't know this until I researched some information about the movie The Shining. At the start of the movie it shows this car driving up to the hotel where the Torrance's were going to be the winter caretakers with that ominous theme song playing. That scene was shot at Glacier National Park.

No, I did not know that. It sure would be a very interesting course.

It's taught through the Geography Department and focuses on the major resource, managerial, and recreational components of the National Park system. For the final project, students develop an itinerary and budget for a National Parks-oriented field trip that involves at least 3 NPS units and is centered around a specific theme or topic (e.g., Four Corners geology, dark skies viewing, lighthouses of the NPS, fishing, diving in the Parks, Alaska back country, and so on). The end product is a portfolio that includes an overview of the trip along with documentation of the route, daily activities, and logistics, including expenses.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It's taught through the Geography Department and focuses on the major resource, managerial, and recreational components of the National Park system. For the final project, students develop an itinerary and budget for a National Parks-oriented field trip that involves at least 3 NPS units and is centered around a specific theme or topic (e.g., Four Corners geology, dark skies viewing, lighthouses of the NPS, fishing, diving in the Parks, Alaska back country, and so on). The end product is a portfolio that includes an overview of the trip along with documentation of the route, daily activities, and logistics, including expenses.

Boy, that definitely would be my kind of trip and my type of course.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT