ADVERTISEMENT

HHI golf...

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
I am in HHI for the week, and I’m looking to play a top golf course in the area. I’ve already played Harbor Town, Heron Bay, and Atlantic Dunes. Have also played Palmetto Hall, RTJ and a few others.

Really looking to play Long Cove, Colleton River, May River or Belfair but they are all private I think. Not sure how to get on any of these.

Any recommendations?

I've played HT. It's unbelievably tight with postage stamp greens but the pros eat it's lunch.

My mother's old boss designed many of the Sea Pines courses.

On all those mentioned as private (except May River), you have to go on with a member. No other way. May River you can call and get a tee time. It's a beaufiful course. Good restaurants at Palmetto Bluff also.

Berkeley Hall is also nice course, but also private. Oldfield is also private.

Last edited:
On all those mentioned as private (except May River), you have to go on with a member. No other way. May River you can call and get a tee time. It's a beaufiful course. Good restaurants at Palmetto Bluff also.

May River is $320 with a caddie...worth it? I was going to play a warm up round at Old South as many courses are under aerification right now. Decent track?

May River wouldn't let me on unless I was staying at the Montage. Ironically, I will be staying at another Montage next week, but that didn't matter...

May River is $320 with a caddie...worth it? I was going to play a warm up round at Old South as many courses are under aerification right now. Decent track?
Played it once. Absolutely a beautiful course. I thought it was worth it, just to play it. Not something I'd do every day. I like Old South. Good course but gets a lot of traffic. Rose Hill used to be a good course. Been several years since I've played it though. They went through a lot of ownership problems. Hilton Head National was nice, but is being converted to commercial use. Not sure if they are operating anymore.

Crescent Pointe, Pinecrest, and Eagles Point are other courses. Crescent is pretty good. Not sure about the others.

May River wouldn't let me on unless I was staying at the Montage. Ironically, I will be staying at another Montage next week, but that didn't matter...
Hmmm, they've changed their policy then. Used to be able to get on pretty easily, just expensively.

I play Oldfield mostly now. They ran a special on memberships. Too good to pass up deal.

I haven’t been to HHI in years but remember Old South Golf Links (mentioned above) was a fun course. Actually off the island but an island green Par 3, and a Par 4 with island fairway and green. Front nine was ok. Back nine was fun.

The sister course was Old Carolina which I played once. Fun as well but Old South was better.

I haven’t been to HHI in years but remember Old South Golf Links (mentioned above) was a fun course. Actually off the island but an island green Par 3, and a Par 4 with island fairway and green. Front nine was ok. Back nine was fun.

The sister course was Old Carolina which I played once. Fun as well but Old South was better.
Sadly, Old Carolina is now a 9-hole dirt track. Worst shape I've ever seen a course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT