ADVERTISEMENT

High-jumping 6-4 shooting guard commits to Frank Martin

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
"Something else Gregory will bring to the table is great leaping ability.
There's a highlight video of him jumping over five teammates in a line
as he completes a ferocious dunk". Welcome Jamall Gregory!!!

Now that IS interesting... we're sitting on 12 scholarship players right now. Johnson graduates, and we currently have four commitments. That brings us up to 15 for next year that we have to trim down to 13. I feel pretty confident that Reggie Theus will transfer, but that still means one more has to go. Perhaps there is something to the "Sheppard/Henry is/are out" talk after all. Looking at the roster I'd bet on Sheppard (we'll be majorly short on big men otherwise), but heck if I know. Heck, maybe McKie will shock us all and transfer. Who the hell knows? Only thing for sure is that this changes things.

I think that's a little harsh on Lakeem Jackson. He actually turned out to be a solid, if unspectacular, player for us. With a better coach to develop him, he could have been a really great one.

A better example would have been RJ Slawson. Highly touted, and regressed every single year he played. I'm not sure a good, or even great, coach would have helped him.
This post was edited on 4/1 6:19 PM by 4thgengamecock

Great... An athletic shooting guard who can't shoot. Pros: athletic, jumping ability, and able to get to the rim. Cons: Can't shoot.

This post was edited on 4/1 6:39 PM by AgnosticTrollCock

If Theus goes and Steele goes back to walk on status, that will work.

I don't see Sheppard going anywhere. At one time I would've said Henry is gone. But the kid has been putting in a lot of work lately. And if he's out the door, his actions recently haven't shown it. That's for sure.

This post was edited on 4/1 6:29 PM by DirtyCock99

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Great... An athletic shooting guard who can't shoot. Pros: athletic, jumping ability, and able to get to the rid. Cons: Can't shoot.
It's not all about whether or not he can shoot. Frank has said he wants to add some athleticism to the team, and this guy brings that. And as I've pointed out several times, the down-tick in our shooting can be mostly attributed to Thornwell having a horrific sophomore slump (dropping form 37% from three to 26%) and Johnson having a subpar year. All we need is Thornwell to get back to his freshman form and we'll be fine.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:

Great... An athletic shooting guard who can't shoot. Pros: athletic, jumping ability, and able to get to the rid. Cons: Can't shoot.
It's not all about whether or not he can shoot. Frank has said he wants to add some athleticism to the team, and this guy brings that. And as I've pointed out several times, the down-tick in our shooting can be mostly attributed to Thornwell having a horrific sophomore slump (dropping form 37% from three to 26%) and Johnson having a subpar year. All we need is Thornwell to get back to his freshman form and we'll be fine.
Thornwell did not shoot well at all; however, the biggest reason for our down-tick in shooting was the loss of Brenton Williams. He shot 43% from 3 and 93% from the line. No player came close to replacing that level of shooting.

Looks like Jamall is more than just an athlete he's also a hard worker and pretty good shooter. Although KJ McDaniel wasn't a good shooter I don't remember that hindering his career.

Thornwell is a better shooter than people give him credit for but repeated bouts with tendinitis in both knees were a huge issue for him this year...

Great article on J Gregory

Originally posted by DarkCock:

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:

Thornwell did not shoot well at all; however, the biggest reason for our down-tick in shooting was the loss of Brenton Williams. He shot 43% from 3 and 93% from the line. No player came close to replacing that level of shooting.
Oh my goodness, I forgot about that. You're right, losing Brenton Williams was a huge blow, much bigger than I expected at the start. Still, I don't think our shooting situation is as dire as a lot of people think. Then end goal is to play a style of ball similar to the ladies: make lots of easy shots inside, break quickly when the opportunity presents itself, play good defense, and rebound the opponent to death. We've been stocking up on the personnel to let us do that, so I'm not super worried. Ought to be a good year next year, the best at least since those NIT titles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT