ADVERTISEMENT

High school kids aren't dying to go to...

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Miami, nebraska, or Texas anymore. This isn't the 70s or 80's.

that's because they have no coaching but don't kid yourself 2 of those teams will be back.
nebraska not so much
I disagree, miami will not be back . Who wants to play in front of 15000 people.

The new kids on the block seem to be the choice. The young coaches with personality and showmanship along with innovative offenses are thriving and traditional teams are falling or trying to come back. The next generation is going to remember these flash teams because that's who's winning and getting their attention. It's going to be harder for the old traditional teams to come back unless they are willing to revamp the programs...take a chance....like we need to.

Miami, nebraska, or Texas anymore. This isn't the 70s or 80's.

Well, I was watching a special about the University of Miami football program several years ago and Howard Schnellenberger stated (and his interview was cut from an interview while he was the Head Coach at Miami) that the Canes recruited what they called the State of Miami, which was all of South Florida all the way up into the mid section of Florida. And for the most part then that was almost all they had to recruit.
So, there is a lot of talent still in that area but the Canes just need to find a way to revamp their recruiting territory. But, I hate the Canes and hope they never find that lust pipe line of extremely talented players again from the State of Miami.

Well, I was watching a special about the University of Miami football program several years ago and Howard Schnellenberger stated (and his interview was cut from an interview while he was the Head Coach at Miami) that the Canes recruited what they called the State of Miami, which was all of South Florida all the way up into the mid section of Florida. And for the most part then that was almost all they had to recruit.
So, there is a lot of talent still in that area but the Canes just need to find a way to revamp their recruiting territory. But, I hate the Canes and hope they never find that lust pipe line of extremely talented players again from the State of Miami.
Those players would not get into Miami today. They were thugs and not very literate. They could play football...but they had a criminal mindset and background. Things are so much different today.

I personally think TV has been the biggest part of it. With ESPN to ESPN 8 (the Ocho) there are way more game options than there ever was when I was in HS, and that wasn't that long ago. Smaller schools, especially in FL and throughout the SE have taken at least some bite from some of the big schools. Look at Miami, FSU, and UF in 1993, and then what UCF did in 2013. It can't all be bad coaching. Of course, the big schools still get theirs, but there are a lot more options for a big fish in HS to go somewhere else to get playing time

I was talking to a Clemson friend of mine (he's a good dude) today and we agreed that Miami went to hell once the Luke Campbell and/or Nevin Shapiro pipeline shutoff. It's also no accident it coincides with their entry into the ACC

Texas will be back. Charlie Strong is too good of a coach for them to stay down forever (assuming the boosters don't force him out, obviously). Nebraska is in a good spot to be a mid-tier team, and will likely be good every once in a while, but probably won't ever be dominant again.

As for Miami... like I said in another thread, their student and alumni body just isn't big enough to compete. They're in a similar spot to SMU: a small private school in a talent rich state that was able to compete with their larger, richer neighbors by cheating. The only difference is that SMU got the death penalty and Miami didn't. They'll have a good team once every twenty years or so, like Duke and Vandy, but that's about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT