ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski to Northwestern.

Good luck to him.

Whether it was Muschamp's fault, Bobo's fault, or Beamer's fault that he is transferring, he had a rough start here and sometimes, a player just needs a fresh reset without any "baggage."

Next year is probably going to be rough, but if Beamer is "the guy" for us, then it is probably better that we cut ties with all major components of the Muschamp era sooner rather than later.

Just ‘WOW’! You must have missed last season’s dumpster fire.
Nope. I saw it. I also saw a bunch of players leave because things did not go exactly how they wanted. Why was it OK to trash Horn and the DBs who quit on the team, but not Hilinsky? They all did the same thing- Quit when things were tough. That is not a successful strategy in life. Best of luck to them all, I hope they learn from their mistakes.

Last edited:
I hope he does great. But doesn’t he first have to beat out Hunter Johnson, the former 5 star who was at Clemson? Johnson has never played to his potential, but I don’t think it’s an injury holding him back, so the potential could still be there.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Nope. I saw it. I also saw a bunch of players leave because things did bot go exactly how they wanted. Why was it OK to trash Horn and the DBs who quit on the team, but not Hilinsky? They all did the same thing- Quit when things were tough. That is not a successful strategy in life. Best of luck to them all, I hope they learn from their mistakes.
Horn and the other DBs all saw the field and were given a chance to prove their abilities. The coaches quit on Hilinski and kept trotting out failure game after game.

I hope he does great. But doesn’t he first have to beat out Hunter Johnson, the former 5 star who was at Clemson? Johnson has never played to his potential, but I don’t think it’s an injury holding him back, so the potential could still be there.
He could not beat out Colin Hill or true freshman Luke Doty here. I don’t think that bodes well for him at whatever school he goes to.

Nope. I saw it. I also saw a bunch of players leave because things did bot go exactly how they wanted. Why was it OK to trash Horn and the DBs who quit on the team, but not Hilinsky? They all did the same thing- Quit when things were tough. That is not a successful strategy in life. Best of luck to them all, I hope they learn from their mistakes.
Sorry don’t see this as comparable. Ryan rarely got an opportunity even when games were long over. I find it hard to believe that someone who started as a freshman in the SEC was not given more of an opportunity. He needed to move on as long as Bobo stayed- hoped he would reconsider when he left. Not even close to Horn’s situation.

Horn and the other DBs all saw the field and were given a chance to prove their abilities. The coaches quit on Hilinski and kept trotting out failure game after game.
That is making excuses for him. We were not at practice, all we know is he did not win the job. It makes no sense that a coach on the hot seat would start a lesser option at QB just out of what? Spite? Do some of ya’ll really think they just “did not like Hilinsky”, and that is why he sat all year? Or maybe, just maybe he was not as good as the guys who played. That makes a lot more sense...

Hilinski was a good face, but I never saw a real chance at winning. I was frankly relieved when Hill was named opening game starter, and said so.

Although I was no superstar I played qb myself and I have always observed the other players interaction with their qbs; it’s not usually hard to see who they think should be out there. I have not noticed a lot of backlash by the players at not playing Hilinski. Just saying.

I may be mistaken but I thought Ryan rode it out and unlike the other guys he was obviously crapped on day 1 of Bobo coming to town. Again, maybe I missed something. He didn’t publicly leave until Bobo was retained and Colin said he was coming back.

How much crap can one guy eat?

WWYHD?

Sorry don’t see this as comparable. Ryan rarely got an opportunity even when games were long over. I find it hard to believe that someone who started as a freshman in the SEC was not given more of an opportunity. He needed to move on as long as Bobo stayed- hoped he would reconsider when he left. Not even close to Horn’s situation.
It is not close to Horn’s position. Horn is likely to be drafted in the top 1-2 rounds of the NFL draft because he won the starting job and got the attention of pro scouts. RH’s position is almost identical to many other players who transferred from our school this off season though. Back up DL, rotational DBs... I see tons of whinning and crying over our third string QB leaving, and everyone rolled their eyes and scoffed at the other quitters. Those guys were “part of the culture WM instilled here and getting rid of them helps purge that culture”, but RH “is a good guy from a good family and we all wish him well”..? Would you like me to say the unspoken reason so many of ya’ll TRULY treat him differently? Should I say the quiet part out loud?

Reactions: SCexpat38
I may be mistaken but I thought Ryan rode it out and unlike the other guys he was obviously crapped on day 1 of Bobo coming to town. Again, maybe I missed something. He didn’t publicly leave until Bobo was retained and Colin said he was coming back.

How much crap can one guy eat?

WWYHD?
If it was Bobo that was the whole problem, why did he not pull his name from the portal when Bobo left? Hill is not coming back... I see everyone blame Bobo for forcing Hill as the starter no matter what, yet THE VERY FIRST GAME BOBO COACHED after WM left, BOBO PULLED HILL OUT AFTER TWO QUARTERS, and never played him AGAIN. How does that theory hold water? It doesn’t. WM was the anchor around our offense’s neck. He was too conservative and starting the fifth year senior who knew the offense, knew the check downs and could read a defense was the conservative play.

If RH was truly so much better as some of our fans seem to think, they would have played him. He had pedestrian stats (at best) when forced into action as a freshman, he HAD poor mechanics and there was never any indication he had advanced a great deal from year one to year two. The reason he is leaving is that he knows we have better QB(s?) on the roster than him now. He found himself in a tough situation, he was faced with two options- honor your commitment and fight like Hell to win the starting job back, or quit and go somewhere else. He chose to quit. That is how it played out. I am not attacking him or exaggerating the truth to slander him. That is what HE DID, and people treat many kids who left our team this offseason under similar circumstances completely different because they didn’t come from a “good family”? IE, they are not of proper genetic makeup?... 🤷‍♂️ OK, if a’ll want to play that game? Seems like a slippery slope to me... 😬

I am a GAMECOCK fan, not a Ryan Hilinsky fan club member, I don’t like a kid more or less because of their “genes”.. I pull for the ones who want to stay here and help us win. The ones who quit and leave all get about the same send off: “bye Felicia”. Best of luck, but quitting when the going gets tough will not get you far in life.

Reactions: bdblack
That’s seemed like his destination for a while now. Delayed reward for Northwestern as they offered him very early on as a recruit.

Hope he tears it up and makes us look foolish.
Why would you wish ill will on anything gamescocks? Are you really a fan?

Reactions: SOSUSC
It is not close to Horn’s position. Horn is likely to be drafted in the top 1-2 rounds of the NFL draft because he won the starting job and got the attention of pro scouts. RH’s position is almost identical to many other players who transferred from our school this off season though. Back up DL, rotational DBs... I see tons of whinning and crying over our third string QB leaving, and everyone rolled their eyes and scoffed at the other quitters. Those guys were “part of the culture WM instilled here and getting rid of them helps purge that culture”, but RH “is a good guy from a good family and we all wish him well”..? Would you like me to say the unspoken reason so many of ya’ll TRULY treat him differently? Should I say the quiet part out loud?
Quitting in middle of season and transferring at the end are two different things.
Insinuate what you will—does not make it true—in fact as far as I’m concerned it has nothing to do with your unfounded accusations. I understand in today’s culture truth is often fabricated
Insinuate what you will—does not make it true. In fact, far from it as far as I’m concerned .

Reactions: BlueCord86
Quitting in middle of season and transferring at the end are two different things.
Insinuate what you will—does not make it true—in fact as far as I’m concerned it has nothing to do with your unfounded accusations. I understand in today’s culture truth is often fabricated

Insinuate what you will—does not make it true. In fact, far from it as far as I’m concerned .
Yes- opting out mid season is different... Every situation is different. I have a ton more respect for guys who opted out and stayed around to be on the team again this year. Ortre is a good example... Apparently Roderick is another:

This is the guy we should be cheering on and wishing “the best” to.

Reactions: Gaimcock
If it was Bobo that was the whole problem, why did he not pull his name from the portal when Bobo left? Hill is not coming back... I see everyone blame Bobo for forcing Hill as the starter no matter what, yet THE VERY FIRST GAME BOBO COACHED after WM left, BOBO PULLED HILL OUT AFTER TWO QUARTERS, and never played him AGAIN. How does that theory hold water? It doesn’t. WM was the anchor around our offense’s neck. He was too conservative and starting the fifth year senior who knew the offense, knew the check downs and could read a defense was the conservative play.

If RH was truly so much better as some of our fans seem to think, they would have played him. He had pedestrian stats (at best) when forced into action as a freshman, he HAD poor mechanics and there was never any indication he had advanced a great deal from year one to year two. The reason he is leaving is that he knows we have better QB(s?) on the roster than him now. He found himself in a tough situation, he was faced with two options- honor your commitment and fight like Hell to win the starting job back, or quit and go somewhere else. He chose to quit. That is how it played out. I am not attacking him or exaggerating the truth to slander him. That is what HE DID, and people treat many kids who left our team this offseason under similar circumstances completely different because they didn’t come from a “good family”? IE, they are not of proper genetic makeup?... 🤷‍♂️ OK, if a’ll want to play that game? Seems like a slippery slope to me... 😬

I am a GAMECOCK fan, not a Ryan Hilinsky fan club member, I don’t like a kid more or less because of their “genes”.. I pull for the ones who want to stay here and help us win. The ones who quit and leave all get about the same send off: “bye Felicia”. Best of luck, but quitting when the going gets tough will not get you far in life.

OK. Some very good points you made. Check my previous post on Horn and others, I never said they should keep playing once the wheels came off. I actually said the opposite bc of potential injury. I also know there is an ‘undercurrent’ in some FGFs opinion. However, whether Ryan is an All-America or some fifth stringer; after having your backside nailed to the bench all season for an eventual 2-8 team and someone (Northwestern) show any interest...WWYD?

Also, what insinuation are you referring to specifically?

Not at all if you think NW is all that just saying. Sounds like you mad RH is gone.

Nope. I just think being thrown in the deep end as a true freshman (took some hits) then being third string the next year and getting a call from Northwestern...I would leave too. Someone posted earlier that he probably didn’t improve from fresh to soph, if so that’s on coaching or evaluation to offer in the first place.

OK. Some very good points you made. Check my previous post on Horn and others, I never said they should keep playing once the wheels came off. I actually said the opposite bc of potential injury. I also know there is an ‘undercurrent’ in some FGFs opinion. However, whether Ryan is an All-America or some fifth stringer; after having your backside nailed to the bench all season for an eventual 2-8 team and someone (Northwestern) show any interest...WWYD?
I understand why he might want to transfer. It does not change the fact it is quitting on my team and honestly, if he is not playing here... I don’t get why so many fans seem to be so enamored with him. I do not wish him ill, I don’t wish him well. I just don’t much care about him at this point and am confused why so many seem to.

I understand why he might want to transfer. It does not change the fact it is quitting on my team and honestly, if he is not playing here... I don’t get why so many fans seem to be so enamored with him. I do not wish him ill, I don’t wish him well. I just don’t much care about him at this point and am confused why so many seem to.

I think we violently agree on this once discussed.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
ADVERTISEMENT