ADVERTISEMENT

Hillinski vs Hill

JComp

Sep 11, 2020
In 11 career games (in the SEC as a true freshman), Hilinski completed 58.7% of his passes for 5.8 yards/attempt with a 11 TDs and 5 INTs (2.2 TD:INT). That was against one of the toughest schedules in the entire nation.

In 18 career games scattered across 3 seasons (in the Mountain West Conference) Hill completed 60.7% of his passes for 7.7 yards/attempt with 23 TDs and 11 INTs (2.1 TD:INT).

Statistically, they are a wash. Maybe Hill has a slight edge, but it has to be considered that he put up his stats in the Mountain West. Before being injured against Arkansas last year, he went
13/33 for 99 yards. For comparison, Portland State's QB went 10/21 for 81 yards against Arky last year. Otherwise, the Arkansas D was regularly carved up last year. They had the worst D in the league and 113th in the nation.

Beyond that, Hill has torn the ACL in his left knee 3 (THREE!) times. I question the morality of putting a non-mobile QB under center in the SEC when that player has suffered 3 torn ACLs in the same knee. He IS going to get hit worse than he ever get in the MWC. I can't even think of players who have torn the same ACL three times. He played in 5 games as a freshman and injured the ACL. Rehabbed it and tore it again playing basketball before he could get back on the field. Last year he played in 3 games before tearing the same ACL. Obviously, something isn't right.

Anyway.

giphy.gif

To me if there is no clear separation in practice you go with Hilinski. He’s younger, has more time left in the program and has already earned the respect of every player in the locker room. Hill seems like a great kid too, but I’ll never forget Hilinski in Athens cheering with the ice on the knee and the training staff having to stop him from moving around to cheer on his teammates.

To me the reasons to play Hill can only be:
1. If he is light years ahead of Hilinski (doubtful)
2. Hilinski struggles and we need a spark (Win today)
3. If Hilinski gets injured, the drop off isn’t as severe. (Insurance)

The thing is none of Us have seen them practice this year, nobody knows except the coaches which is better.

This is a fallacy. I’m not a Tater fan but in Watson’s first year the first few games he was splitting time with Cole Stoudt. Watson was a better QB at 13 than Stoudt ever will be. It was obvious. Hate using a Tater example but can’t think of one right off the bat here. I do know Scarneccia should have gotten more snaps after the Missouri win. Bentley didn’t win a game from that point on Scarneccia would not have as well. Alvin Kamara comes to mind at Tennessee. He’s a coach and had one of the best talents in football and barely let him touch the ball against us.

This assumes coaches are perfect and never make mistakes. They are human and screw up. Even if you don’t want to label it a coaching screw up some guys just choke when you put on the game jerseys and cut on the lights and put butts in the stands.

This is a fallacy. I’m not a Tater fan but in Watson’s first year the first few games he was splitting time with Cole Stoudt. Watson was a better QB at 13 than Stoudt ever will be. It was obvious. Hate using a Tater example but can’t think of one right off the bat here. I do know Scarneccia should have gotten more snaps after the Missouri win. Bentley didn’t win a game from that point on Scarneccia would not have as well. Alvin Kamara comes to mind at Tennessee. He’s a coach and had one of the best talents in football and barely let him touch the ball against us.

This assumes coaches are perfect and never make mistakes. They are human and screw up. Even if you don’t want to label it a coaching screw up some guys just choke when you put on the game jerseys and cut on the lights and put butts in the stands.
Certainly with coaches there can be politics involved in player selection but I tend to think they know which player is better, they still might choose to play the other one that is not as good for other reasons.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I haven't seen him play but hear he throws a real nice, "catchable" ball. i would assume he has an advantage with his experience in Bobo's system. IMHO, who starts the season isn't that important.

Reactions: searooster
Certainly with coaches there can be politics involved in player selection but I tend to think they know which player is better, they still might choose to play the other one that is not as good for other reasons.

I hope so. As a Braves fan though you’re going to have to tell my why Robbie Erlin, Luke Jackson, Touki Touissant, etc...get as many chances as they get. Snitker can’t think those are his best options. I know it’s a different sport but man those are head scratching decisions.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
[/QUOTE]
In 11 career games (in the SEC as a true freshman), Hilinski completed 58.7% of his passes for 5.8 yards/attempt with a 11 TDs and 5 INTs (2.2 TD:INT). That was against one of the toughest schedules in the entire nation.

In 18 career games scattered across 3 seasons (in the Mountain West Conference) Hill completed 60.7% of his passes for 7.7 yards/attempt with 23 TDs and 11 INTs (2.1 TD:INT).

Statistically, they are a wash. Maybe Hill has a slight edge, but it has to be considered that he put up his stats in the Mountain West. Before being injured against Arkansas last year, he went
13/33 for 99 yards. For comparison, Portland State's QB went 10/21 for 81 yards against Arky last year. Otherwise, the Arkansas D was regularly carved up last year. They had the worst D in the league and 113th in the nation.

Beyond that, Hill has torn the ACL in his left knee 3 (THREE!) times. I question the morality of putting a non-mobile QB under center in the SEC when that player has suffered 3 torn ACLs in the same knee. He IS going to get hit worse than he ever get in the MWC. I can't even think of players who have torn the same ACL three times. He played in 5 games as a freshman and injured the ACL. Rehabbed it and tore it again playing basketball before he could get back on the field. Last year he played in 3 games before tearing the same ACL. Obviously, something isn't right.

Anyway.

giphy.gif
What they done in previous seasons is irrelevant right now. What they've done the past few weeks and the rest of this week will determine who the starter is.

Bringing in Grad transfers is an act of desperation. It shows that you can’t develop your own talent.
Really ? So Lincoln Riley can’t develop QB talent at Oklahoma?? WOW
I’m shocked. Lol
Since he took a grad transfer and other QB transfers I guess their offense is bad and can’t develop talent ?
Some posters on here do provide lots of comedy

Really ? So Lincoln Riley can’t develop QB talent at Oklahoma?? WOW
I’m shocked. Lol
Since he took a grad transfer and other QB transfers I guess their offense is bad and can’t develop talent ?
Some posters on here do provide lots of comedy
Let me know at the end of the season how this works out. Muschamp isn’t Lincoln Riley. If I’m wrong, I’ll admit it.

What they done in previous seasons is irrelevant right now. What they've done the past few weeks and the rest of this week will determine who the starter is.
[/QUOTE]

That's a fine and dandy response, but why should we have an expectation that Hill is going to be any more than he's been over the past 4 seasons? Kid hasn't even played a full season of football since high school.

Hilinski played a full SEC slate as a true freshman and took a beating. Apparently if you look at Hill, he tears an ACL.

That's a fine and dandy response, but why should we have an expectation that Hill is going to be any more than he's been over the past 4 seasons? Kid hasn't even played a full season of football since high school.

Hilinski played a full SEC slate as a true freshman and took a beating. Apparently if you look at Hill, he tears an ACL.
[/QUOTE]
It was actually the correct response.
call it fine and dandy if you choose but the poster is correct in what he said

It was actually the correct response.
call it fine and dandy if you choose but the poster is correct in what he said
[/QUOTE]

Well, of course what he said was right. Everyone knows that. Duh. His comment just wasn't relevant to the point that was being made.

But one would have to be a fool to think Hill has magically transformed into an SEC QB after 4 injury-riddled years in the MWC in which he put up ok numbers.

1. Not sure LSU would agree with you.
2. Not many teams would turn away a transfer, who completed 67% of his passes last year.

You talking about the 3 games he played last year? One of which was against Western Illinois? Against an Arkansas team with the worst defense in the league, he went 13-23 (56.5%) for 99 yards.

You talking about the 3 games he played last year? One of which was against Western Illinois? Against an Arkansas team with the worst defense in the league, he went 13-23 (56.5%) for 99 yards.

Yes, 56.5% against Arkansas, 77.4% against WIU and 66% against Colorado. Pretty sure Arkansas was dead last due to their rushing defense but whatever.

It amazes me how many people want to give RH3 a free pass last year because he was a true freshman. Let me know how the kid from UNC did as a true freshman last year. How about TL from Clumson as a TF? You can either make the simple throws consistently or you can't. Oh yeah, lets bring up how he performed against Alabama... we were in the game for one half. Take away the TD with 15 sec left in the game against Bama's D we lose by 30+ points and a majority of his yards were in mop-up duty against Bama's 2/3 strings. He played a solid half against UGA before getting hurt. Then the crowd that gives excuses for failure aka the "wait until next year crowd" found a way to always make excuses the rest of the year for him. Below are all his stats last year... How does that QBR look? Or his Comp percentage as a whole? Yes there were drops last year, but they weren't dropping that many and going 16-41 against TA&M. or 28-51 against Tennessee.

Let's not act like he was Tom Brady last year. If Collin Hill has won the job, then so be it. I want the guy back there regardless of it was RH or CH or ABC123 back there that is going to win us ball games.

2019 REGULAR SEASONPASSINGRUSHING
DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%TDINTLNGSACKRTGQBRATTYDSAVGTDLNG
Sat 11/30vs3CLEML
38-3
162710559.30130284.528.22-13-6.500
Sat 11/16@TA&ML
30-6
Sat 11/9vsAPPL
20-15
325732556.111293106.349.05-13-2.609
Sat 11/2vsVANW
24-7
Sat 10/26@TENNL
41-21
285131954.910753113.961.24-14-3.5010
Sat 10/19vs9FLAL
38-27
173517048.61041398.816.95-24-4.803
Sat 10/12@3UGAW
20-17 2OT
Sat 9/28vsUKW
24-7
152714055.60023399.156.65-1-0.2011
Sat 9/21@MIZL
34-14
133016643.31175294.123.13-10-3.305
Sat 9/14vs2ALAL
47-23
365732463.221313119.062.95-5-1.0011
Sat 9/7vsCHSOW
72-10
TOTAL2364062,35758.11157519113.456.033-55-1.7114

Reactions: Brace1
It amazes me how many people want to give RH3 a free pass last year because he was a true freshman.
I was initially excited about Ryan because he had such a quick release and threw some nice balls. But season long, he was too inconsistent, especially when it counted.
I hope he can up his game and become something special....but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets beat out.

Reactions: Brace1 and Cocky4SC
I was initially excited about Ryan because he had such a quick release and threw some nice balls. But season long, he was too inconsistent, especially when it counted.
I hope he can up his game and become something special....but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets beat out.

I agree. There are a lot of holes in his game. Footwork, consistently throwing a catchable ball downfield. At the end of the day I want the guy who can make the simple plays consistently. And move the dang chains!

It amazes me how many people want to give RH3 a free pass last year because he was a true freshman. Let me know how the kid from UNC did as a true freshman last year. How about TL from Clumson as a TF? You can either make the simple throws consistently or you can't. Oh yeah, lets bring up how he performed against Alabama... we were in the game for one half. Take away the TD with 15 sec left in the game against Bama's D we lose by 30+ points and a majority of his yards were in mop-up duty against Bama's 2/3 strings. He played a solid half against UGA before getting hurt. Then the crowd that gives excuses for failure aka the "wait until next year crowd" found a way to always make excuses the rest of the year for him. Below are all his stats last year... How does that QBR look? Or his Comp percentage as a whole? Yes there were drops last year, but they weren't dropping that many and going 16-41 against TA&M. or 28-51 against Tennessee.

Let's not act like he was Tom Brady last year. If Collin Hill has won the job, then so be it. I want the guy back there regardless of it was RH or CH or ABC123 back there that is going to win us ball games.

2019 REGULAR SEASONPASSINGRUSHING
DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%TDINTLNGSACKRTGQBRATTYDSAVGTDLNG
Sat 11/30vs3CLEML
38-3
162710559.30130284.528.22-13-6.500
Sat 11/16@TA&ML
30-6
Sat 11/9vsAPPL
20-15
325732556.111293106.349.05-13-2.609
Sat 11/2vsVANW
24-7
Sat 10/26@TENNL
41-21
285131954.910753113.961.24-14-3.5010
Sat 10/19vs9FLAL
38-27
173517048.61041398.816.95-24-4.803
Sat 10/12@3UGAW
20-17 2OT
Sat 9/28vsUKW
24-7
152714055.60023399.156.65-1-0.2011
Sat 9/21@MIZL
34-14
133016643.31175294.123.13-10-3.305
Sat 9/14vs2ALAL
47-23
365732463.221313119.062.95-5-1.0011
Sat 9/7vsCHSOW
72-10
TOTAL2364062,35758.11157519113.456.033-55-1.7114

To be completely fair it was obvious he got hurt at the end of the Alabama game, got seriously injured in the Georgia game, yet still gutted it out and played. The stats also seem to show that too.

I’ll also say this, if it’s Hill we might as well throw a going away party for Hilinski. No chance he stays and rides pine this year knowing that he would have one year left before Gunner arrives.

I’ll also say this, if it’s Hill we might as well throw a going away party for Hilinski. No chance he stays and rides pine this year knowing that he would have one year left before Gunner arrives.
Hearing there was big separation between Hill and Ryan going in before scrimmage this past weekend. Ryans not going anywhere because he know hes one injury away from starting. Look what happen last year with Jake. Am expecting both to play in the Tenn game.

Hearing there was big separation between Hill and Ryan going in before scrimmage this past weekend. Ryans not going anywhere because he know hes one injury away from starting. Look what happen last year with Jake. Am expecting both to play in the Tenn game.

If there was “big separation” then only one should play, not both. Not sure but it seems to suggest Hill was the one on top.

You are right that he’s one play away from starting but that’s true of any backup and a highly recruited QB doesn’t pack up and cross the country to be one injury away from playing. That’s the cold hard truth too.

I'm not giving a RH a free pass for last year, but he performed well under less-than-ideal circumstances. Comparing him to the UNC QB is ludicrous. Going up against ACC competition is nothing like going up against the SEC on a weekly basis. Ryan was a true freshman, played behind a porous OL, had shitey play-calling, little help from the backfield, and WR who didn't perform. He really got no help from anyone. And he was playing injured on top of all that. Even with all that, his stats from one year are basically about the same as what Hill has done in parts of 3 seasons (covering 4 years) playing in the MWC.

I can't fathom why anyone thinks Hill is going to be any better here than he has been in the MWC since 2016. He was HORRIBLE against a HORRIBLE Arkansas defense last year. Literally, one of the worst defenses in the country and they shut Hill down. And that was his 4th year in Bobo's system, so you people can cram all this "he knows the system" junk. Knowing the system didn't help him against the worst defense in the SEC.

Ryan, realistically, should improve from Year One to Year Two (thought Jake really didn't...most do). Assuming/Hoping our OL is improved this year, that helps him out.

I'm not giving a RH a free pass for last year, but he performed well under less-than-ideal circumstances. Comparing him to the UNC QB is ludicrous. Going up against ACC competition is nothing like going up against the SEC on a weekly basis. Ryan was a true freshman, played behind a porous OL, had shitey play-calling, little help from the backfield, and WR who didn't perform. He really got no help from anyone. And he was playing injured on top of all that. Even with all that, his stats from one year are basically about the same as what Hill has done in parts of 3 seasons (covering 4 years) playing in the MWC.

I can't fathom why anyone thinks Hill is going to be any better here than he has been in the MWC since 2016. He was HORRIBLE against a HORRIBLE Arkansas defense last year. Literally, one of the worst defenses in the country and they shut Hill down. And that was his 4th year in Bobo's system, so you people can cram all this "he knows the system" junk. Knowing the system didn't help him against the worst defense in the SEC.

Ryan, realistically, should improve from Year One to Year Two (thought Jake really didn't...most do). Assuming/Hoping our OL is improved this year, that helps him out.

Spot on. The only thing you held back on was calling it less than ideal. It was about as bad of a situation as you could put a freshman in.

Ludricrous to compare going up against ACC competition... we were 0-2 last year, and 1-6 under Mushcamp. We don't have any room to speak about someones schedule when we can't handle ours (App St).
Unless I missed it, nobody is touting Hill as the savior of our football program. But if he is the best option at QB play him.

Ludricrous to compare going up against ACC competition... we were 0-2 last year, and 1-6 under Mushcamp. We don't have any room to speak about someones schedule when we can't handle ours (App St).
Unless I missed it, nobody is touting Hill as the savior of our football program. But if he is the best option at QB play him.

I didn't use our performance against the ACC as a measuring stick. But you're insane if you thing playing an ACC conference schedule compares in any way to playing an SEC conference schedule.

Spot on. The only thing you held back on was calling it less than ideal. It was about as bad of a situation as you could put a freshman in.

You're right. It was horrible. In every way. And he performed admirably.

I don't give a rip how Hill is performing in practice under controlled conditions. We have a 3 season/4 year body of work to look at from his time in the MWC. He hasn't magically transformed into something different. No way.

And, just think about this...WHY would Hill have transferred HERE? Could it be that he knew he wouldn't be the starting QB at CSU next year under a new head coach? I can GUARANTEE you that's why. And because he knew the only shot he had getting a starting gig in FBS was to follow his former head coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT