ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring a South Carolina native

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
This is the first time in modern program history that USC has hired a SC native as Head Ball Coach. We have had some impressive resumes come through town - national championship coaches in the likes of Dietzel, Holtz and Spurrier. We've had "can't miss" coordinators (Scott), up and coming Southern Conference coaches (Woods), former hot prospects turned reclamation projects (Muschamp), and proven winners at similar programs (Carlen). But we have never hired a South Carolina native.

He was born in Charleston. Two of his children were born in Columbia. He considers this place home. This is no small thing. He clearly has the support of Gamecock lettermen, and can bridge the current program with its most glorious era.

I have a good feeling about this hire. I am 100% aboard the Shane Train.

Forever to thee, Coach Beamer.

Go Cocks!

Think he'll stay longer than 2 years this time? Will probably be just as memorable for him.

It is part of what makes this hire different and appealing. Many fans here clearly cannot think about these things beyond what wikipedia tells them a guys HC record is... But trying something new when what we have been doing has not worked, is a good move. Beamer will have a kore vested interest in seeing us succeed than any other candidate we considered. Not just from being born here, but because he has worked here in the past as well. He has an affinity for this school nobody else has.

This is the first time in modern program history that USC has hired a SC native as Head Ball Coach. We have had some impressive resumes come through town - national championship coaches in the likes of Dietzel, Holtz and Spurrier. We've had "can't miss" coordinators (Scott), up and coming Southern Conference coaches (Woods), former hot prospects turned reclamation projects (Muschamp), and proven winners at similar programs (Carlen). But we have never hired a South Carolina native.

He was born in Charleston. Two of his children were born in Columbia. He considers this place home. This is no small thing. He clearly has the support of Gamecock lettermen, and can bridge the current program with its most glorious era.

I have a good feeling about this hire. I am 100% aboard the Shane Train.

Forever to thee, Coach Beamer.

Go Cocks!
Outstanding Post... I am almost 70 years old, have seen everything you just wrote about a million times in my mind. Gotta say I have a good feeling about this hire as well.

The thing I'm most struck about hiring SB is how much his former players at USC wanted him. We are all just novices when it comes to coaches compared to the players. They know what we don't know.

Reactions: GandBinNC
He was born in Charleston because Frank was coaching at The Citadel. Don't know if I'd call him a native though. Probably spent more time in Virginia as a child. His sister lives in Greenville I believe.

He was born in Charleston because Frank was coaching at The Citadel. Don't know if I'd call him a native though. Probably spent more time in Virginia as a child. His sister lives in Greenville I believe.

Yes. Realize that. If he is not technically a native, he certainly has deeper ties to the state of South Carolina than any prior head coach. That is significant, and that was the point of the post.

Reactions: sclawman77
The thing I'm most struck about hiring SB is how much his former players at USC wanted him. We are all just novices when it comes to coaches compared to the players. They know what we don't know.

As long as those former players accompany him on a few recruiting trips and throw some money around I’m all for it . Words are cheap

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT