ADVERTISEMENT

Holbrooken has done a poor job at recruiting a leadoff hitter and power hitters. *

Destino hasnt got the job done with men on base all year. Tolbert has more RBI and Cortes is catching him.

They wisely pitched around Destino in the ninth....the one guy who could tie it up in a hurry. Wish we had done that earlier against Bell...had a base open with 2 outs and a batter that hit 50 points less on deck. Just nibble at the plate, see if he gets impatient enough to swing at a couple thinking he has to make a hit.

Catch the ball with the bat...

I always thought we wasted Tanner English talents by not working with him on his bunting...

He could have been the next Brett Butler with his speed...
I remember in the "old days" we were taught to square up actually face the pitcher and just let the ball hit the bat and push the ball you wanted it to roll. I reckon that doesn't anymore work due to climate change or something.

I remember in the "old days" we were taught to square up actually face the pitcher and just let the ball hit the bat and push the ball you wanted it to roll. I reckon that doesn't anymore work due to climate change or something.
Yeah...and not lean over. Hate when I see that. "Catch the ball with the bat or the ball hits you."

Completely agree. Boy, was that a long, long time ago.
Well, the art of hitting hasn't changed. I don't recall any of the old time heavy hitters ever lifting a leg during a pitch. It would seem to me you throw yourself off balance by having to bring that leg back into play. A short well timed stride will do the job instead of the I'm going yard swing.

Well, the art of hitting hasn't changed. I don't recall any of the old time heavy hitters ever lifting a leg during a pitch. It would seem to me you throw yourself off balance by having to bring that leg back into play. A short well timed stride will do the job instead of the I'm going yard swing.
Had a coach tell me that I was not a HR hitter and he would nail my front foot to the ground if I kept on lifting it. He was also the one that introduced me to the Ted Williams' philosophy of hitting....choke up on the bat, bat vertical to the ground and short, quick, compact swings.

Had a coach tell me that I was not a HR hitter and he would nail my front foot to the ground if I kept on lifting it. He was also the one that introduced me to the Ted Williams' philosophy of hitting....choke up on the bat, bat vertical to the ground and short, quick, compact swings.
Exactly correct! Put the ball in play somewhere and hit it where they ain't.

Reactions: rogue cock
Mel Ott, Kirby Puckett and Harold Baines are the only hitters that come to mind who successfully had a leg lift and hit for both power and average.

Did you hear the TV announcer mention some of the off balance swinging? I have never been a fan of lifting that front leg. Stay down and hit the baseball.
"Squash the Bug" was my son's coach's mantra, meaning open your hips at contact and plant the back foot.
We have great looking homerun swings!
Our hitters are easily baffled. Meyers was money 5 years ago. I assume the hitters peek to the pitching coach for info. Our homerun swings and the distance missed has me perplexed. Another 1 run loss, valiant, but just short.

Last edited:
Bunt, bunt ,bunt ok what about the other 26 outs ? I think holbrooken should be gone. But, he is not telling them to hit lazy fly balls all night.

Bunt, bunt ,bunt ok what about the other 26 outs ? I think holbrooken should be gone. But, he is not telling them to hit lazy fly balls all night.

I've heard the old "He's not telling them to (fill in the blank)" excuse before. He's the head coach and gets paid pretty well to win. He's not winning. He recruuted these guys and would be getting all the praise if we were. Tanner won a bunch of 1 run games by outcoaching the other team. Chad ain't outcoaching anybody.

One thing about basics like fielding and bunting... in little league and high school, coaches teach this all the time and when they player move on to College or pro's, players get lazy and coaches too...

Coaches think they don't have to teach and remind players the basic fundamentals, that could be Chad's problem or the coaching staff...

We are a poor fundamental team...

Holbrook has done a poor job all around.
ive always thought recruiting for baseball would be tough because you pretty much have to go after the average players. The "great" players typically head to the MLB or leave school early.

They wisely pitched around Destino in the ninth....the one guy who could tie it up in a hurry. Wish we had done that earlier against Bell...had a base open with 2 outs and a batter that hit 50 points less on deck. Just nibble at the plate, see if he gets impatient enough to swing at a couple thinking he has to make a hit.
They had him played with the shortstop on the right field side and the third baseman on an island by himself. Then after a visit to the mound they threw him nothing but outside pitches. You couldn't tell by the TV, but I'm guessing they went back to play him straight up. What they knew was he'd try to pull an outside pitch which would keep the ball in the park. They ended up walking him anyway, but I'd be willing to bet that wasn't their intent.

Reactions: rogue cock
Bottom line is, none of our players are the mentioned above!! So, keep your damn leg down and follow the fundamentals of hitting!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT