ADVERTISEMENT

Honeymoon phase for Beamer is over.

capngamecock

Apr 11, 2019
Upper Deck - West
I'm not one of those "fire Beamer" people half of a season in to his first year. Obviously it's going to take a few years to turn this shit show around. But it's clear that our offensive scheme, play calling just isn't going to work. Satterfield was a "buddy" hire. Hopefully Beamer learns from this mistake and cans him at the end of the year. But judging by his post game pressers, this isn't going to happen. He seems to think Satterfield is doing a great job...somehow. Unless our offense has a drastic turn around, we need to find a OC sooner rather than later.

• Wow
Reactions: briceisbest
You ever thought that they don’t have the talent and players with good enough football IQ to run the scheme they want.
If that's the case, coaches need to dumb down the offense and figure out something that can help us be competitive. You have to coach the players you have. If it's not working, you have to change it up. Can't just run the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

You ever thought that they don’t have the talent and players with good enough football IQ to run the scheme they want.
When defensive ends are throwing passes near the goal line with an offensively challenged team and it fails miserably, I tend to question the football IQ of those with the headsets on then the ones with the helmets.

When defensive ends are throwing passes near the goal line with an offensively challenged team and it fails miserably, I tend to question the football IQ of those with the headsets on then the ones with the helmets.
So if it worked, you wouldn't have questioned it.

I'm not a fan of Beamer, but this is an illogical position.

Reactions: Robhawk29

Yes, I would have questioned it. I told my son when we had 1st and goal at the 1 that if we do anything other than hand the ball off to Harris 4 straight times, I'll be pissed. I was pissed when I saw Joyner in the backfield before the first play was even snapped, and we know how that and the next play went. This one was a no-brainer. You line Trai Jones up at FB and give the damn ball to Harris, 4 times, period, the end.

That was quick!
So much for that welcome home.....

get-out-leave.gif

Nothing illogical about questioning letting your defensive end throw a pass 5 yards away from the end zone. It opens yourself up to a ton of criticism.

Burch never gave the play time to develop, which allowed the defender to recover. Burch underthrew the pass, which is a huge no no in this situation. Of course, having someone throw that has no experience doing so leads to these kinds of issues.

I can see what they were trying to do, but that does not mean I agree with it.

There are a million reasons to question it:
1. What does it tell your RBs that you have no faith in them to get the one yard per carry per play to cross the goal line.
2. What does it tell your OL with the same…
3. What does it tell your QB when you put the ball in the air in the end zone with your DB.

There are a ton of things this play call signaled to a lack of confidence in so many other areas.

If that's the case, coaches need to dumb down the offense and figure out something that can help us be competitive. You have to coach the players you have. If it's not working, you have to change it up. Can't just run the same thing over and over and expect a different result.
At the same time, you can't just change the play calling with the same 2 and 3 stars and expect different results. At the end of the day, they are calling they plays for the talent they have.

See Arkansas after 2. We give too many bad coaches too many unnecessary years. Learn your lesson.
Sorry, NOT gonna happen in 2 years. Probably not gonna happen again for many years. With the probable expansion of the SEC, Vandy and USC will probably always be the bottom feeders.

Quick!

You should alert Beamer.

His current recruiting class is no different (on any level)?than the great, I mean terrible, classes Muschamp had.

LOL.

There is literally nothing that sheeple won’t make up or create to rationalize and/or excuse mediocrity and failure.

l guess it’s reflexive, borne from a lifetime of personal experience.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I’m confused. What game of the 3 we lost should we have won?

I'm not one of those "fire Beamer" people half of a season in to his first year. Obviously it's going to take a few years to turn this shit show around. But it's clear that our offensive scheme, play calling just isn't going to work. Satterfield was a "buddy" hire. Hopefully Beamer learns from this mistake and cans him at the end of the year. But judging by his post game pressers, this isn't going to happen. He seems to think Satterfield is doing a great job...somehow. Unless our offense has a drastic turn around, we need to find a OC sooner rather than later.
Did Beamer have a honeymoon phase? Many people on this board having been clamoring for a new coach since Beamer was hired.

A lot of fans claimed South Carolina did not win because Muschamp failed to recruit SEC talent, now many of these fans are suggesting that the Gamecocks are not winning because Beamer and his staff cannot coach.

Which is it? Coaching or recruiting? How quickly did you expect South Carolina, a team that won 2 games in 2020 and 4 games in 2019, to become competitive?

A lot South Carolina fans always want someone else: Gregg Marshall or Jeremy Chadwell. In college basketball, Duke fans wanted Mike Krzyzewski fired after a lackluster start and North Carolina fans hung Dean Smith in effigy.

I do not know if Beamer will become the football equivalent of Krzyzewski or Smith, but some fans' impatience seems unreasonable.

I coached little league football many moons ago, one year we went undefeated and scored at will, the next year I had completely different players, ran the same offense and scored one touchdown all year. I agree the play calling has been questionable at times but I do not think that's the major issue. We have an offensive line that absolutely cannot block, it will take time to get that fixed. My biggest question is why are certain lineman who constantly give up sacks or allow pressure not being replaced. At least allow the second string guy to try, they constantly preach competition but I don't really see it.

A honeymoon doesnt last a year. I'd say since the most improvement in one year is usually made between game one and two, the honeymoon ends after game two... so yeah, the honeymoon is over and good or bad, life with Beamer has started. Lol

A honeymoon doesnt last a year. I'd say since the most improvement in one year is usually made between game one and two, the honeymoon ends after game two... so yeah, the honeymoon is over and good or bad, life with Beamer has started. Lol

This is literally one of the worst offenses in college football and worse than any Chump offense.

I’m not sure anyone believed he could pull that off.

And, yet, the sheeple doth protest.

😂

If he does a 180 on that incredibly stupid and short-sighted buddy hire, then there may be some hope for him longer term.

Otherwise, it’s simply tick tock.

There never was a honeymoon to me because he never should’ve been hired in the first place. Many see this, and they know what’s coming the next 3, 4, 5, years. And I get the lack of talent, but you can’t even remotely mask all of the coaching inexperience. With Ray staying for another 3 years, and the likely avoidance of another buyout, when do you honestly pull the plug?

You're right - they don't.
But...have you ever thought that the HC and OC don't have the football IQ to install a system that can be effective and exciting? The choice to go this route was disappointing to say the least.

Beamer came from a situation like that (exciting/effective). Usually you see guys in this situation bring a GA, a WR coach, somebody. He brought nobody from that offensive system....which worried me from the get-go.

Did Beamer have a honeymoon phase? Many people on this board having been clamoring for a new coach since Beamer was hired.

A lot of fans claimed South Carolina did not win because Muschamp failed to recruit SEC talent, now many of these fans are suggesting that the Gamecocks are not winning because Beamer and his staff cannot coach.

Which is it? Coaching or recruiting? How quickly did you expect South Carolina, a team that won 2 games in 2020 and 4 games in 2019, to become competitive?

A lot South Carolina fans always want someone else: Gregg Marshall or Jeremy Chadwell. In college basketball, Duke fans wanted Mike Krzyzewski fired after a lackluster start and North Carolina fans hung Dean Smith in effigy.

I do not know if Beamer will become the football equivalent of Krzyzewski or Smith, but some fans' impatience seems unreasonable.
I literally said "it will take 3 or more years to turn this dumpster fire around". I understand how bad we are. But the playcalling is shit, whether we have the players to execute it or not.

You're right - they don't.
But...have you ever thought that the HC and OC don't have the football IQ to install a system that can be effective and exciting? The choice to go this route was disappointing to say the least.

Beamer came from a situation like that (exciting/effective). Usually you see guys in this situation bring a GA, a WR coach, somebody. He brought nobody from that offensive system....which worried me from the get-go.
Yep nothing like an assistant offensive line coach to lead your team to success in the SEC. typical buddy hire

We're not talking about running the triple option here man! How do you expect any coach to succeed if they can't coach the players they have. It's not like they're guaranteed to get the players they want, this is South Carolina.

Let's see how the season plays out.

But, Beamer does need to show he has the coaching chops. The good news is that he has not lost to anyone he was supposed to beat. The bad news is that he has not beat anyone he was supposed to lose to. His recruiting is about the same as Muschamp's was. That won't get it done unless he can get the players to overachieve on the field, which has not yet happened. If he can do THAT, then his recruiting will greatly improve. Don't misunderstand; his recruiting thus far is good. But, it's not great. Show you have the coaching chops; then even better players will come to play for him.

3-4 year rebuild minimum. Not a lot of SEC talent on this team. Some coaching changes will inevitably occur also. Gonna be a bad couple of years. Hopefully we see improvements every year.
It’s a difficult challenge for Beamer to win anytime soon. It’s obvious USC’s talent is towards the bottom of the SEC. Recruiting is critical, and now USC is another year behind because of Beamer’s decision as TE coach to stick around Norman instead of recruiting for 10 days before early signing day. Tanner should have required him to immediately take the position, or keep looking. He wasn’t the OC or DC.

To make matters worse, Beamer took his time hiring assistants when supposedly his phone was ringing off the hook. Then he ends up with group of 5 coaches in the toughest league in CFB. Did Tanner not ask him who he was bringing with him at DC and OC because that was critical for an inexperienced coach? You typically let the OC and DC make position coach hires not hire coordinators last. If it was Bobo for OC, then you sure as hell don’t let him leave for more money unless you had a very experienced high level coach in the wings.

Beamer does not have the head coaching experience to win against more talented teams with more experienced coaching staffs that have coached in the SEC and NFL. If USC does not finish in the top half of the SEC in recruiting each year, then the writing is on the wall. If he can’t go to the portal and grab guys with major college experience (not St Francis), then the writing will be on the wall after signing day 2023. Can’t fire him now, but I think you will know by February 2023 whether he is the right guy.

Last edited:
If the players are supposed to coach themselves up sure, but I think the coaches we hired are expected to raise the "football IQ" of the teenagers a little higher than it was when they arrived from high school.

No, just a large number of people who never gave him a chance to begin with. Can’t claim the honeymoon is over when you never recognized the marriage.
As was discussed in another thread, even the guys on 107.5 today were really calling out the bone headed coaching decisions. And they were totally in the tank for Beamer when he was hired. They typically defend HCs until it becomes painfully obvious that a change needs to be made.

In all seriousness, Beamer has this year as a freebie. What people are wanting to see -- besides wins -- is steady improvement, disciplined and being well-coached. I don't see how anyone can honestly say we've seen marked improvement in any of those phases so far.

No, just a large number of people who never gave him a chance to begin with
I never said anything critical about Beamer when he was hired. I was so sick of muschamp I was excited to see what a new coach could do. I did prefer Chadwell, especially after last season but Shane did promise homerun hires for his staff. And someone said his offense would have defenses not knowing what was coming next. Now that I've seen him in action I feel like I've been intentionally lied to. He has no business being our head coach much like Richard Bell. He needs to be fired after one year much like Richard Bell. We need Chadwell and his entire staff asap. Failure to do so will be the death of our program. And it will be by suicide.

I never said anything critical about Beamer when he was hired. I was so sick of muschamp I was excited to see what a new coach could do. I did prefer Chadwell, especially after last season but Shane did promise homerun hires for his staff. And someone said his offense would have defenses not knowing what was coming next. Now that I've seen him in action I feel like I've been intentionally lied to. He has no business being our head coach much like Richard Bell. He needs to be fired after one year much like Richard Bell. We need Chadwell and his entire staff asap. Failure to do so will be the death of our program. And it will be by suicide.
Lololol I forgot about that offense quote. That’s great. None of the fans (or O players) know what’s coming next either……

It’s a difficult challenge for Beamer to win anytime soon. It’s obvious USC’s talent is towards the bottom of the SEC. Recruiting is critical, and now USC is another year behind because of Beamer’s decision as TE coach to stick around Norman instead of recruiting for 10 days before early signing day. Tanner should have required him to immediately take the position, or keep looking. He wasn’t the OC or DC.

To make matters worse, Beamer took his time hiring assistants when supposedly his phone was ringing off the hook. Then he ends up with group of 5 coaches in the toughest league in CFB. Did Tanner not ask him who he was bringing with him at DC and OC because that was critical for an inexperienced coach? You typically let the OC and DC make position coach hires not hire coordinators last. If it was Bobo for OC, then you sure as hell don’t let him leave for more money unless you had a very experienced high level coach in the wings.

Beamer does not have the head coaching experience to win against more talented teams with more experienced coaching staffs that have coached in the SEC and NFL. If USC does not finish in the top half of the SEC in recruiting each year, then the writing is on the wall. If he can’t go to the portal and grab guys with major college experience (not St Francis), then the writing will be on the wall after signing day 2023. Can’t fire him now, but I think you will know by February 2023 whether he is the right guy.

The Dawg gets it.

It truly isn’t rocket science.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT