ADVERTISEMENT

Hope springs anew with Bobo offense

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
Take it all with a grain of salt, considering it's the preseason, but the reports we've been seeing from spring practice indicate a total overhaul of the offense. One article from The Athletic simply stated "It looks like a real offense." One article quoted T-Rob as saying it was a very hard offense to defend b/c of the different looks, formations, groupings and personnel. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but on the surface it sounds promising. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, but maybe, just maybe, Bobo brought an offense to town. I won't even really be looking for crazy offensive production this year, given it's the first year of the system. But I will be looking to see if: 1: it looks like have a clue what we're doing on offense and 2: if it looks like we have a philosophy on offense. For a while, our offense has basically been throwing crap at the wall to see what would stick.

One thing is for certain, Bobo has plenty of SEC offense experience - and relative success at that. Save for the WR position, he has decent talent at his disposal. I'm optimistic.

Reactions: MowerDave
All of this sounds great but we must remember one thing.. Muschump is still the HC

True. But, Bobo and Champ have known each other a long time. Longer than Champ knew any of the previous OCs. Bobo is, hands-down, the most experienced OC Champ has brought on board. That combined with their long-standing friendship leads me to think Champ is going let Bobo do his thing on offense.

DO NOT MAKE ME DRINK THE KOOL-AID!!! Laughing I'm trying to be more pessimistic and curmudgeonly these days and I'd rather be surprised than disappointed. I've had enough of the latter and I've drank so much damn Kool-Aid over these years I should have the sugarfoot by now. So I see 2 wins. Surprise me Cocks.

Anything would be better than the predicable, conservative, plain vanilla offense we had last year.

Like all of us, I've watched us be behind but close in games and get that glimmer of hope whenever we get the ball on O..."OK, just a couple first downs and a shot into the end zone and we're right back in this game." Gets you on the edge of your seat and puts that little fire in your belly.

Last year is the first year in my life that whenever we got the ball, I'd just watch for amusement to see if we perhaps got one first down before a 3-and out, or just go straight 3-and out. Or fumble or throw an interception. It's got to be the worst I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
True. But, Bobo and Champ have known each other a long time. Longer than Champ knew any of the previous OCs. Bobo is, hands-down, the most experienced OC Champ has brought on board. That combined with their long-standing friendship leads me to think Champ is going let Bobo do his thing on offense.

Didnt Muschamp hire a superbowl winning OC at one point?

Didnt Muschamp hire a superbowl winning OC at one point?

Yeah, bad move. Weis wasn't successful in the college game. Bobo has had far more success in the college ranks than Weis. And he didn't have a relationship with Weis. Good point!

We had ave talent last year and the same players this year at most positions. I wouldn’t expect things to change much unless we brought in some stud receivers and o lineman that are game ready

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Something tells me our offense needs more then a position coach change. We will KNOW if they are hard to defend against or not when they are up against an opposing SEC defense.

Then I see them cancelling practices to have a social justice kumbayas instead.

Last edited:
We had ave talent last year and the same players this year at most positions. I wouldn’t expect things to change much unless we brought in some stud receivers and o lineman that are game ready

Hard to say. I dunno. Anyone who watched our offense last year knows we had no coherent offensive philosophy. I hope having an OC who knows what he's doing and has confidence in his system will, in turn, instill confidence in the players to run the offense. If the offense was frustrating for us as fans, think about how frustrated the players were. If the OC doesn't know what he's doing, the players won't know what to do either.

Yeah, bad move. Weis wasn't successful in the college game. Bobo has had far more success in the college ranks than Weis. And he didn't have a relationship with Weis. Good point!

Weis did fail as a head coach, like Bobo, but was florida Weis's only OC job in college? If so, hard to judge since it was under Muschamp.

Take it all with a grain of salt, considering it's the preseason, but the reports we've been seeing from spring practice indicate a total overhaul of the offense. One article from The Athletic simply stated "It looks like a real offense." One article quoted T-Rob as saying it was a very hard offense to defend b/c of the different looks, formations, groupings and personnel. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but on the surface it sounds promising. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, but maybe, just maybe, Bobo brought an offense to town. I won't even really be looking for crazy offensive production this year, given it's the first year of the system. But I will be looking to see if: 1: it looks like have a clue what we're doing on offense and 2: if it looks like we have a philosophy on offense. For a while, our offense has basically been throwing crap at the wall to see what would stick.
Bobo was a great hire. I'm not sure who the playmakers on the offense will be but Bobo will get the most out of what's on the roster. Things are looking up for SC.

All of this sounds great but we must remember one thing.. Muschump is still the HC
Yep. He may let Bobo call most of the plays and "run" the offense. But Muschamp will still be the one making the call to slow things down, to punt in 4th and 1 on our own side of the field and to run out the clock at the end of the half, even though you have all your timeouts and plenty of time left on the clock and the other team gets the ball back to start the 2nd half.

I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
New plays, new scheme. Get excited if you want, but it really doesn't matter. Its all about talent. Remember Ellis Johnson? When he was DC in Columbia he was considered a genius guru. Went to So. Miss with little talent and suddenly he was an idiot. It's about talent. Always has been, always will be.

New plays, new scheme. Get excited if you want, but it really doesn't matter. Its all about talent. Remember Ellis Johnson? When he was DC in Columbia he was considered a genius guru. Went to So. Miss with little talent and suddenly he was an idiot. It's about talent. Always has been, always will be.

Yes and no. It’s first coaching, then it is talent. You give Muschamp a team of 5 stars and they will be reduced to no stars.

Like Muschamp, EJ proved at multiple stoos that he's a better DC than a HC.

Muschamp's comment last year that this was his best team he fielded since he has been the coach and the fact the Gamecocks went 1 - 5 after beating UGA in their own stadium has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I take anything said from Muschamp and the athletic department with a grain of salt.

USCALUMNI

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT