ADVERTISEMENT

Hope you stocked up on chicken wings

How is your standard of living? Mine is pretty good. What about yours, @ToddFlanders?
Mine is fine. But I stay out of the stock market. Used to do some commodoties trading years ago. Now, I simply do real estate, primarily ST vacation residential and a couple of commercial condos, all held in pass-through entities and liquid assets in tax-free munis.

Reactions: king ward
I was wondering why people who have excellent standards of living concern themselves with how corporations run their businesses, what taxes they pay, etc. I know I don't give it a thought.
When they ask for a "bailout" from the federal government for things they should have invested in themselves, it becomes a concern for all as it does when their lack of foresight becomes a national security issue. They benefit greatly from our laws that protect them and IMO owe a certain accountability in return. Absent that I couldn't care less. And there is a pretty simply way to get corporations to focus on the long-term as opposed to the short-term.

I was wondering why people who have excellent standards of living concern themselves with how corporations run their businesses, what taxes they pay, etc. I know I don't give it a thought.

Well unfortunately our government and our corporations are so intertwined that how they run themselves directly affects most Americans on some level. And corporations also employ 50% of all Americans (give or take given the year), which means that how they run their businesses also affects at least half of us. I'm fortunate enough to own my own business - so I don't get caught up until I see that it's going to hurt other Americans.

Well unfortunately our government and our corporations are so intertwined that how they run themselves directly affects most Americans on some level. And corporations also employ 50% of all Americans (give or take given the year), which means that how they run their businesses also affects at least half of us. I'm fortunate enough to own my own business - so I don't get caught up until I see that it's going to hurt other Americans.
I promise you I won't concern myself with your business, what it earns, or how you run it. I understand that we are not acquainted personally and your business probably has no impact on me. But my promise holds even if I turn out to be your customer or client. As long as I receive sufficient value for my money, your methods and machinations are inconsequential to me. God bless.

When they ask for a "bailout" from the federal government for things they should have invested in themselves, it becomes a concern for all as it does when their lack of foresight becomes a national security issue. They benefit greatly from our laws that protect them and IMO owe a certain accountability in return. Absent that I couldn't care less. And there is a pretty simply way to get corporations to focus on the long-term as opposed to the short-term.
I see your point, but since there seems to be no end to money now - even if it is unsupported theoretical paper money, no one should despair about the bailouts from a financial perspective. The government doesn't seem to mind spending trillions. So that leaves the question of principle. Lest you think I'm not aware of things that have happened bailout-wise, my next American vehicle will be a Ford and my credit union is my primary bank. Godspeed.

Reactions: rogue cock
I hope so....not sure how though since Intel actually needs the smaller chips to be able to produce them and have a facility to produce them in.
I predict that our government is going to throw a ton of money at this issue. With that a lot is possible.

Reactions: rogue cock
I predict that our government is going to throw a ton of money at this issue. With that a lot is possible.
I would actually agree with our government in this instance, provided it is tied to a long term concrete solid agreement the jobs have to stay within our borders.

Do you like the flaming hot cheetos or are you a 6 yo girl? 😂

Tbh, if there was a Doritos shortage I might just end my shit.
Had a friend bring a bag over. Meh. Aside from being hot, I didn't get it.
Now, the White Cheddar Simply Puffs, that stuff is just wicked addictive.

I would actually agree with our government in this instance, provided it is tied to a long term concrete solid agreement the jobs have to stay within our borders.
Odd that you mention that because Taiwan's largest producer of the smaller chips is already building a facility in the US (not far from Intel) to produce those chips. Much like BMW, Michelin and other foreign companies they are investing in the US (which investment is not reflected in the trade numbers).

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT