ADVERTISEMENT

Horns and Sooners are happening. So who for the other 2?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Looks more and more like the league is trying to go beyond 16.

I am sure there are lots of options but who would you rather see?

Clempson and FSU?
Louisville and Clempson?
FSU and Miami?
Ohio State and Michigan?

Also, was hoping the league would add schools that compete in men's soccer. UT and OU do not. OU does have men's gymnastics and wrestling teams.

Ohio state and Michigan are longs shots due to the money loss. I could see any of the acc teams making the jump depending on what the ACC plans to do.

I would say NC State and West Virginia. They are two geographical schools that fit in states and markets we have not touched. Maybe Va Tech instead of WVa but that would be my guess if this did in fact happen.

There's no guarantee those 2 schools get in. A&M voting no, rumor has it Mizzou voting no, and I can see Arkansas voting no. Just need one more and it's blocked. Yes money is huge but A&M, Mizzou, and Ark came to the SEC to get out from under Texas' shadow.

• Haha
Reactions: king ward
There's no guarantee those 2 schools get in. A&M voting no, rumor has it Mizzou voting no, and I can see Arkansas voting no. Just need one more and it's blocked. Yes money is huge but A&M, Mizzou, and Ark came to the SEC to get out from under Texas' shadow.
Its been widely reported A&M is the only possible no vote and even that is unlikely. The announcement today from OU and UT shows this is a done deal.

Reactions: jerryusc
Could you elaborate on that?
I have seen lots of reporting over the last two days that the league is thinking 18 or even 20 to facilitate a move in college athletics to just 3 super conferences.

Lots of reporting like this......

Reactions: gamecock stock
I have seen lots of reporting over the last two days that the league is thinking 18 or even 20 to facilitate a move in college athletics to just 3 super conferences.

Lots of reporting like this......

Ohio State and Michigan? WOW. The SEC would definitely then be College Football, if it's not already.

Thanks.

Reactions: paladin181
Two routes to take for further expansion. The first would be take what is available and this could happen quickly what is left of the Big 12. In this option I would add Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. The second method would be to poach from other conferences which who knows how long that would take. I sense after last weeks bombshell breaking news, the other conferences was likely asking their members if they have been approached by the SEC. I can see down the road a lot of cussin and carrying on and conferences spouting conspiracies toward each other. Maybe next summer part two of the drama of super conference wars will happen.

WVU and VT. They already have a pretty strong rivalry and seem to fit the culture of the conference pretty well

It does not look more and more like the league will go beyond 16. Texas, OU, that's it. Where are you getting that impression?

All of this is ruining college football. Unwieldy conferences, the CFP, etc.

We need to do something to reverse this horrible trend and start retracting these conferences. I say we reignite the Metro Conference. We need to sweet talk FSU, VaTech, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc., to come back home to the Metro. That'd be a pretty good football conference. Memphis and Southern Miss would be in there. Tulane, too. Then get Miami to join and we're set! Don't be dumb or liars. You know you'd be excited about that conference.

The Metro Conference: It just means....something.

Its been widely reported A&M is the only possible no vote and even that is unlikely. The announcement today from OU and UT shows this is a done deal.
Yes, I'm pretty all of the SEC Presidents had calls over the last few weeks to make sure this would happen. Apparently this has been in the works for the past 6 months. Texas and Okla would not have made that call today if this wasn't a done deal.

It does not look more and more like the league will go beyond 16. Texas, OU, that's it. Where are you getting that impression?
Because of $. Eyes in front of the TV is the reason why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Joining the SEC is the second step. Back when Texas A&M and Missouri left; there was talking of Texas, Oklahoma, and OSU going to the Pac12.

I don't agree with it because of how Texas A&M has been a great new member and have meld very well into the SEC. But hopefully is about forward thinking and it's better to get Texas and Oklahoma under the fold and adding to the SEC contracts than them going to the Pac12.

And without a doubt the SEC WILL eventually go beyond 16 if it makes sense to do so.

Even though i would not like it, but would Cincinnati and Memphis add any dollar value to the SEC?

Last edited:
WVU and VT. They already have a pretty strong rivalry and seem to fit the culture of the conference pretty well
If those two join, leaving a NC hole in the footprint would be weird.
I would think it would be more likely that NC State and VT to join before WVU and VT.

Or maybe some other weird combination like Clempson and NC State or FSU and Wake Forest.

App State has a better chance to join the SEC than WVU simply because of location.

Even thought i would not like it, but would Cincinnati and Memphis add any dollar value to the SEC?
With all the talk of football money, geographical location is still going to be a big priority.

The only other teams outside of Texas and Oklahoma that makes sense because of $ and location would be; (order of likely hood of each state)

State of Florida - Miami, UCF, FSU

State of North Carolina - NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, UNC (I put UNC low on this list because already their sites are saying it would never happen because of Olympic sports and already showing how much of a wine and cheese crowd they are)

State of Virginia - VT, Virginia

ANNNNNNNNNNND South Carolina - Clempson.... if Texas A&M are allowing Texas to join and not pulling any strings; I doubt nothing would stop the SEC if they actually wanted Clempson to join.

Out of the teams above; the highly likely candidates would be NC State, Wake Forest, and VT. I couldn't see any other team unless it was some package deal to bring a total of 4 not including Texas and Oklahoma.

If those two join, leaving a NC hole in the footprint would be weird.
I would think it would be more likely that NC State and VT to join before WVU and VT.

Or maybe some other weird combination like Clempson and NC State or FSU and Wake Forest.

App State has a better chance to join the SEC than WVU simply because of location.
Wake Forest? 😄 Dorman High School would be a better fit. And App State would never get in over WVU.

You aren't listening to Arkansas at all. They are extremely happy about the additions and actually asked to be in the pod with Texas and OU as they want more games in Texas for recruiting purposes. OU and Arkansas will play some games in Jerryworld, plus games with Texas and A&M, they are going to average a couple of games in Texas now. Arkansas is probably the strongest proponent of OU and Texas to the SEC. There is a reason that Arkansas is already on the Texas schedule this year, they want to play us (unlike cowardly Aggies). When asked if they hated Texas (UT-Austin), one Arkansas fans said "Of course we hate them, we want to play them every year so we can show them just how much we hate them."

Y'all act like these ACC teams can move to the SEC. My understanding is those schools are tied up with a binding Grant of Rights that is ironclad and impossible for any team to financially leave. It runs until 2035 or the like. I don't see how FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NC, Wake Forest, NC State or any other ACC has any chance to move, given the extreme financial penalty.

Ohio State and Michigan aren't leaving the Big Ten, they are the Big Ten.

Realistic teams are: West Virginia, Nebraska, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Tulane, etc. I don't want any of those teams, but they are available if the SEC whistles.

You aren't listening to Arkansas at all. They are extremely happy about the additions and actually asked to be in the pod with Texas and OU as they want more games in Texas for recruiting purposes. OU and Arkansas will play some games in Jerryworld, plus games with Texas and A&M, they are going to average a couple of games in Texas now. Arkansas is probably the strongest proponent of OU and Texas to the SEC. There is a reason that Arkansas is already on the Texas schedule this year, they want to play us (unlike cowardly Aggies). When asked if they hated Texas (UT-Austin), one Arkansas fans said "Of course we hate them, we want to play them every year so we can show them just how much we hate them."
See, this post is the reason why all the snakes that have rurnt college football need to be hung...or is it hanged? A&M wants to keep Texas out of the SEC for it's own advantage, and probably spite. BattleshipTexas calls A&M "cowardly," even though he knows it isn't true. But he hates A&M, so he says it anyway. Hate like that needs to be playing one another every year, but no...idiots and their empty headed cheerleaders had to bring in A&M and Mizzou to the SEC. It's not right. Texas and Texas A&M should've been forced to stay in the same conference and kill each other, like a Cobra and mongoose in a cage.

Wake Forest? 😄 Dorman High School would be a better fit. And App State would never get in over WVU.
It would be funny to see an SEC school go play at App State and realize the town can't hold more than 20k people.

Yeah, probably shouldn't even put Wake Forest on the list. It might be NC State or bust for NC if the SEC really wanted a footprint in North Carolina. I don't see UNC leaving Duke like Oklahoma is leaving Oklahoma State.

Y'all act like these ACC teams can move to the SEC. My understanding is those schools are tied up with a binding Grant of Rights that is ironclad and impossible for any team to financially leave. It runs until 2035 or the like. I don't see how FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NC, Wake Forest, NC State or any other ACC has any chance to move, given the extreme financial penalty.

Ohio State and Michigan aren't leaving the Big Ten, they are the Big Ten.

Realistic teams are: West Virginia, Nebraska, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Tulane, etc. I don't want any of those teams, but they are available if the SEC whistles.
If they get a hint of the $ that this new TV contract is going to bring... I could see a lot of wine and cheese fan bases try to convince us drinking 3 buck Chuck is the same as a case of Coors Light.

On your list; I don't see any more teams from Texas coming; MAYBE Oklahoma State if it's packaged with another footprint school that's in North Carolina or Virginia. UCF adds nothing to the $ equation as that's the same footprint as Gainesville. Absolutely no way WVU gets invited unless it's packaged with a school from Virginia. No $ sense for Memphis. I don't see Nebraska leaving the B1G unless there's a HUGE restructure between B1G and the ACC.

See, this post is the reason why all the snakes that have rurnt college football need to be hung...or is it hanged? A&M wants to keep Texas out of the SEC for it's own advantage, and probably spite. BattleshipTexas calls A&M "cowardly," even though he knows it isn't true. But he hates A&M, so he says it anyway. Hate like that needs to be playing one another every year, but no...idiots and their empty headed cheerleaders had to bring in A&M and Mizzou to the SEC. It's not right. Texas and Texas A&M should've been forced to stay in the same conference and kill each other, like a Cobra and mongoose in a cage.
The team Texas hates is Oklahoma, and vice versa. If any metaphor has a Cobra and a Mongoose that should be Texas and Oklahoma. We fully intend to play each other every year and try to kill each other every year. That is the fun of it. The memory of Arkansas has dulled over the years, but I don't doubt we will learn to hate them as well as we play every year. What I call cowardly on A&M is first opposing our move, but not as much that as when Texas gets here, trying to hide in a different pod to have to play us less often. That just looks scared.

The team Texas hates is Oklahoma, and vice versa. If any metaphor has a Cobra and a Mongoose that should be Texas and Oklahoma. We fully intend to play each other every year and try to kill each other every year. That is the fun of it. The memory of Arkansas has dulled over the years, but I don't doubt we will learn to hate them as well as we play every year. What I call cowardly on A&M is first opposing our move, but not as much that as when Texas gets here, trying to hide in a different pod to have to play us less often. That just looks scared.
Deer lowered, don't say pods. It's bad enough this is happening, but now these two conferences that are pretending to be one might go to four mini-conferences. They got something for all of you in favor of this. It's called the NFL.

If they get a hint of the $ that this new TV contract is going to bring... I could see a lot of wine and cheese fan bases try to convince us drinking 3 buck Chuck is the same as a case of Coors Light.

On your list; I don't see any more teams from Texas coming; MAYBE Oklahoma State if it's packaged with another footprint school that's in North Carolina or Virginia. UCF adds nothing to the $ equation as that's the same footprint as Gainesville. Absolutely no way WVU gets invited unless it's packaged with a school from Virginia. No $ sense for Memphis. I don't see Nebraska leaving the B1G unless there's a HUGE restructure between B1G and the ACC.
I certainly don't see any low hanging fruit that would be obvious takes. You didn't mention Cincinnati, but they are openly lobbying for conferences to offer them.

https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin

Sources at the University of Cincinnati tell us that the school has been proactive and assertive in conference realignment discussions since last week, and that the university is committed to securing the #Bearcats best interests moving forward.

RRyJ852w

https://t.co/222dD2YVL4?amp=1

Deer lowered, don't say pods. It's bad enough this is happening, but now these two conferences that are pretending to be one might go to four mini-conferences. They got something for all of you in favor of this. It's called the NFL.
This is already shaping up to renaming the SEC 'Minor League NFL'.

Reactions: Bad seed

Bad news then, everything I am hearing is four pods.

Reactions: Bad seed
I would try for Notre Dame and BYU. Seriously.
BYU never got a Big 12 invite because they won't play baseball or basketball on Sunday. That screws up three game weekend baseball, conference basketball tourneys, etc. It is a pretty big "ask" as an accommodation.

I certainly don't see any low hanging fruit that would be obvious takes. You didn't mention Cincinnati, but they are openly lobbying for conferences to offer them.

https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin

Sources at the University of Cincinnati tell us that the school has been proactive and assertive in conference realignment discussions since last week, and that the university is committed to securing the #Bearcats best interests moving forward.

RRyJ852w

https://t.co/222dD2YVL4?amp=1
I think this Texas and Oklahoma move has surprised a lot of people.
I don't think you follow it up by having teams like Cincinnati and WVU join after Texas and Oklahoma.

Either this expansion is done again for a few more years or you see one more dive into the deep end with addition of another two major schools that create a huge footprint.

Latest numbers I could find for 2020; hopefully didn't mix up some dates....

Bearcats football revenue $10.4 million
Wake Forest was $26,722,457
WVU was 24,692,746

It's hilarious with how big of a football school Wake Forest had a larger football revenue than WVU.

You are right, there's no low hanging fruit to be taken.
But when when something is ripe, you don't let it fall to the ground.

IF the SEC were smart...they would go after the flagship schools in NC and Va. Obviously that would be UNC and UVA....I personally would rather see NC State and Va Tech BUT...The SEC goes after flagship universities....

Now looking at the way things are going and watching the UNC boards....THEY WOULD SCREW NC State and DUKE to get into the SEC...

I think this Texas and Oklahoma move has surprised a lot of people.
I don't think you follow it up by having teams like Cincinnati and WVU join after Texas and Oklahoma.

Either this expansion is done again for a few more years or you see one more dive into the deep end with addition of another two major schools that create a huge footprint.

Latest numbers I could find for 2020; hopefully didn't mix up some dates....

Bearcats football revenue $10.4 million
Wake Forest was $26,722,457
WVU was 24,692,746

It's hilarious with how big of a football school Wake Forest had a larger football revenue than WVU.

You are right, there's no low hanging fruit to be taken.
But when when something is ripe, you don't let it fall to the ground.
Wow. Those are some big Demon Deacons dollars. Over two million dollars better than West Virginia.

Reactions: vehemon
IF the SEC were smart...they would go after the flagship schools in NC and Va. Obviously that would be UNC and UVA....I personally would rather see NC State and Va Tech BUT...The SEC goes after flagship universities....

Now looking at the way things are going and watching the UNC boards....THEY WOULD SCREW NC State and DUKE to get into the SEC...
I went checking on UNCs forums and a lot of people are stuck on 'Olympic' sports and how they are a better fit with the B1G. I've got some UNC friends here in Charlotte and I personally don't go out of my way to watch a football game with them. They are just as bad as the UVA fans I tailgated with back when we last played @Charlottesville. Stereotypical wine and cheese crowd.

UNC's stadium capacity is only 51k and the last time I was there I felt like I was in a glorified high school stadium.
Before the move was made with Texas A&M and Missouri though... I personally was hoping that UNC/NC State/UVA/VT would come.
Expansion with the SEC in 'tobacco row' isn't going to be easy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT