ADVERTISEMENT

Horns and Sooners are happening. So who for the other 2?

If, and this a big if one school would leave the ACC, then Miami would be ripe for the taking.
Although with UF the SEC has presence in the state, from West Palm south UM dominates the viewership and fan interest.
They have a national brand/following and they are not exactly enamored with being in the ACC.
I've always though Miami had a bunch of flaky fans. Even when their team is doing decent, it seems they still only put in 15-20k to the stadium.

Could happen I guess. Never say never. But don't see any ACC teams getting brought to the SEC. They all have conference media contracts that run for another 15 years. Buying out 2-3 years for UT and Texas is one thing. This is another. FSU might would take the dive if possible. But I don't see Clemson wanting any part of that. The way things currently are, Dabo pretty much can win 10 ball games a year by rolling the balls out. I doubt he wants that scenario to change.

Y'all act like these ACC teams can move to the SEC. My understanding is those schools are tied up with a binding Grant of Rights that is ironclad and impossible for any team to financially leave. It runs until 2035 or the like. I don't see how FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NC, Wake Forest, NC State or any other ACC has any chance to move, given the extreme financial penalty.

Ohio State and Michigan aren't leaving the Big Ten, they are the Big Ten.

Realistic teams are: West Virginia, Nebraska, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Tulane, etc. I don't want any of those teams, but they are available if the SEC whistles.
An Ohio school in the SEC??? HELL NO!!

Reactions: tngamecock#
I've always though Miami had a bunch of flaky fans. Even when their team is doing decent, it seems they still only put in 15-20k to the stadium.
Since I'm not exactly enamored with most fanbases in the SEC, and I know I'm not alone, I wouldn't put a lot of criteria if one thinks another fanbase if flaky. Just sayin.

What 2? Why would anyone assume we would add 2 more after these 2? For one thing if these 2 are added, if nothing else, it would finally balance out the conference geographically. Add UT and TA&M to the West, move Mizzou to the West and then move Alabama and Auburn to the East. We would finally have some geographical alignment that makes sense. Auburn is almost as far East as we are. It's never made sense for them to be in the West. Missouri in the East was ridiculous. It's the second furthest school west in the conference.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
What 2? Why would anyone assume we would add 2 more after these 2? For one thing if these 2 are added, if nothing else, it would finally balance out the conference geographically. Add UT and TA&M to the West, move Mizzou to the West and then move Alabama and Auburn to the East. We would finally have some geographical alignment that makes sense. Auburn is almost as far East as we are. It's never made sense for them to be in the West. Missouri in the East was ridiculous. It's the second furthest school west in the conference.
I could see us going to four 4-team divisions but don’t think we add another two teams yet.

I think it goes higher than 16. I've heard Sankey's goal is to break with the NCAA. 16 schools may not be enough for that. 18 teams is as bad for scheduling as 14 was. Oddly, the examples I've seen show 20 teams in four 5-Team pods schedules about as easy as 16 teams in four 4-Team pods. I look for 4 more teams besides TX and OU to get added.

If what I think is going to happen really occurs, the next 10 years or so should be really weird. And, not all of it good. But, eventually everyone will be very happy with the result. Everybody will be able to tell their grandkids some great stories how it went down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT