ADVERTISEMENT

Hotel Booked in Atlanta - SECCG 12/1/2018

PokerCock

Jan 6, 2016
I went ahead and booked a room at the Ritz Carlton downtown for the weekend of 12/1/2018.

This is the year we put it all together and make our return to Atlanta for the first time since 2010.

Coastal - W
Georgia - W
Marshall - W
@Vandy - W
@Kentucky - W
Mizzou - W
A&M - W
Tennessee - W
@Ole Miss - W
@Florida - L
Chattanooga - W
@Clemson - L

The schedule sets up beautifully, but I do think we will have one slip-up in conference on the road.

Georgia has to travel to Williams-Brice and to LSU in addition to Auburn at home.

Mark it down. This is the year. We will be favored in every game except for Georgia and Clemson. The stars will align. Someone save this post for the first weekend in December.

I went ahead and booked a room at the Ritz Carlton downtown for the weekend of 12/1/2018.

This is the year we put it all together and make our return to Atlanta for the first time since 2010.

Coastal - W
Georgia - W
Marshall - W
@Vandy - W
@Kentucky - W
Mizzou - W
A&M - W
Tennessee - W
@Ole Miss - W
@Florida - L
Chattanooga - W
@Clemson - L

The schedule sets up beautifully, but I do think we will have one slip-up in conference on the road.

Georgia has to travel to Williams-Brice and to LSU in addition to Auburn at home.

Mark it down. This is the year. We will be favored in every game except for Georgia and Clemson. The stars will align. Someone save this post for the first weekend in December.

Your W-L scenario is unacceptable & I hope it doesn't happen.

I think it's possible, PokerC, but I'll wait on making any predictions until that Georgia game. Good measuring stick for this team early in the season. If we win that game then holy shit look out the sky is the freakin limit!

Let's go Cocks!

TGF - I think you will realize in Week 2 that the sky is the freakin limit! Just like Weezy F Baby said on that Da Drought 3 mixtape!

I hope I'm wrong, but this probably isn't the year we snap the streak. I have to see the new offense/Junior year Bentley before making that prediction.

I'll take an Atlanta appearance over a Clemson win.
The tater game will be within a touchdown this year. It should have been closer last year but we had a horrible offensive gameplan. Btw, you know who's going to be waiting in Atlanta. Roll Tide most likely.

The tater game will be within a touchdown this year. It should have been closer last year but we had a horrible offensive gameplan. Btw, you know who's going to be waiting in Atlanta. Roll Tide most likely.

So because Bama would be the likely opponent, you'd rather just avoid competing in the SEC title game? That's baffling.

Just playing on Championship Saturday leads to much more exposure than a win over Clemson. Not to mention, playing in Atlanta would allow us to put up a 3rd banner in the stadium. Right now, we have a 1969 ACC Championship and a 2010 Eastern Division Champions banner. I'd say it's time to add to the vault.

So because Bama would be the likely opponent, you'd rather just avoid competing in the SEC title game? That's baffling.

Just playing on Championship Saturday leads to much more exposure than a win over Clemson. Not to mention, playing in Atlanta would allow us to put up a 3rd banner in the stadium. Right now, we have a 1969 ACC Championship and a 2010 Eastern Division Champions banner. I'd say it's time to add to the vault.
Your thinking is old and I'll tell you why. Beating Clemson use to not mean much to people outside of this state. Then they won a second NC, played in the playoffs 3 times, and have been ranked in the top 5 the past several years. Yeah, a win over that wouldn't do a thing for us. Nobody would care. Beat the 1 or 2 team in the nation and knock them out of the playoffs? Pshhh, peanuts. The tater game has become GINORMOUS but we refuse to rise to their level. You think if Clemson breaks their foot off in us that we will walk into Atlanta and slap Alabama around? Us and what Army? We must beat clemson. Getting to Atlanta was fun the first time but nobody wants to go back and be there just because.

Your thinking is old and I'll tell you why. Beating Clemson use to not mean much to people outside of this state. Then they won a second NC, played in the playoffs 3 times, and have been ranked in the top 5 the past several years. Yeah, a win over that wouldn't do a thing for us. Nobody would care. Beat the 1 or 2 team in the nation and knock them out of the playoffs? Pshhh, peanuts. The tater game has become GINORMOUS but we refuse to rise to their level. You think if Clemson breaks their foot off in us that we will walk into Atlanta and slap Alabama around? Us and what Army? We must beat clemson. Getting to Atlanta was fun the first time but nobody wants to go back and be there just because.

I understand what you're saying and somewhat agree with you, but why don't we just focus on our trophy case for a minute. We've never won an SECCG and you can't win it if you don't play in it. We've beaten Clemson a few dozen times. Let's just beat Clemson and our West opponent so everyone can be happy.

Sorry for discussing football. Would you rather if we discuss Women's Basketball??
I'm on your side ITT. Was more responding to robertfootball. Or just saying, who cares, let's try to win every game we can! Kinda amounts to a hill of beans which one us fans sit here and say is the must win

Reactions: PokerCock
It is truly amazing what an beneficial schedule can bring you. We squandered an incredibly easy schedule for several years, but really took advantage of it last year. This may be the last year that A&M, UF and UT are down and the SEC West opponent is about to go into hyper-drive after this year. 2018 is the best chance to take advantage.

This team could win 10-11 games this year and the exact same team could win 7-8 in 2019

Must seize the day

Coastal - W
Georgia - W
Marshall - W
@Vandy - W
@Kentucky - W
Mizzou - W
A&M - W
Tennessee - W
@Ole Miss - W
@Florida - L
Chattanooga - W
@Clemson - L

I applaud your optimism

I see you're from the booming town of Lancaster. I know staying at a premier hotel isn't something you're accustomed to, but don't take it out on me.

“Premier” lol. You should travel more. Let me guess, you like Caymus and Silver Oak as well. Rube.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I see you're from the booming town of Lancaster. I know staying at a premier hotel isn't something you're accustomed to, but don't take it out on me.
I reside in Lancaster, but I don't STAY in Lancaster, Partner. Around this time last year, I was on family vacation in New York City. Put up some pictures when you make this "trip" you're planning.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
It is truly amazing what an beneficial schedule can bring you. We squandered an incredibly easy schedule for several years, but really took advantage of it last year. This may be the last year that A&M, UF and UT are down and the SEC West opponent is about to go into hyper-drive after this year. 2018 is the best chance to take advantage.

This team could win 10-11 games this year and the exact same team could win 7-8 in 2019

Must seize the day
The schedule sets up nicely for a scenario like in 2011, where you were obviously the better team, but we won the division. I do think that there is a wider talent gap between us right now and those two teams in 2011. It certainly wouldn't be shocking for you to win every game sans Clemson and UGA. Considering the schedule, losing to you guys would really make me nervous about our chances of recovery. About as important a game early on as it's been in some time. Mainly due to the fact that it's unlikely anyone else could win the division.

Consider the audience...King ward is from Lancaster. Days Inn is premier...
What did I just tell you? You started this thread wanting to display some kind of bravado. Anyone can say he's going to do this or going to do that. Show me what you've done after you do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSpears5
What did I just tell you? You started this thread wanting to display some king of bravado. Anyone can say he's going to do this or going to do that. Show me what you've done after you do it.

Are you that insecure that you have to accuse someone of lying about a hotel reservation on the internet? The point of the post was to discuss my outlook on the 2018 Gamecocks. I am confident so I booked a room. Why is that so far-fetched?

I think we will be better and I think 10-2 is a real possibility, assuming several of our opponents don't improve significantly. But if UGA and Clemson are as good this year as they were last year, I don't see us beating them.

HOWEVER, to OP's prediction, if we are good enough to beat UGA in week 2, then we are good enough to beat Clemson in game 12. UGA was a legit national champion contender last year and they will be this year too. I do worry about that road game in Gainesville, though.

As for the never-ending debate among FGFers about whether you'd rather beat Clemson or win the SEC East, please stop. It's not an either-or scenario. If we are good enough to win the SEC East this year, we are good enough to beat freaking Clemson.

Did we have a good offensive gameplan in any games last season?

Reactions: ddw1263

Coastal - W
Georgia - W
Marshall - W
@Vandy - W
@Kentucky - W
Mizzou - W
A&M - W
Tennessee - W
@Ole Miss - W
@Florida - L
Chattanooga - W
@Clemson - L

You waste your money.

“Premier” lol. You should travel more. Let me guess, you like Caymus and Silver Oak as well. Rube.
Ironically, I find this the most ridiculous post in the thread. For several reasons actually. Hopefully, it's just s joke.

Are you that insecure that you have to accuse someone of lying about a hotel reservation on the internet? The point of the post was to discuss my outlook on the 2018 Gamecocks. I am confident so I booked a room. Why is that so far-fetched?
No, if I were insecure I wouldn't challenge you on it. And if you were secure, you'd just hold your water and send the proof after you follow through. And as far as your "outlook" is concerned, your belief that we could win the East but not be able to beat UPC strains credulity to an even greater extreme than your stated travel plans..

Reactions: rogue cock
There are so many layers to this post:

1. Great confidence in our team winning all but two games...FL and Clem

2. Would love it to happen but we will lose at least three games.

3. We won the East in 2010 with three Conference losses.

4. We all hate Clemson as true Gamecocks and want to beat them at everything they do!!!

5. All of us as posters on this site do not live in SC. This is a huge factor in why most of us living out of state now grow to hate another team. For example, I went to Carolina in the early 90’s and moved back to Florida for a job opportunity. I can tell you I dislike UF now as much as Clem. I’m sure there are others like my situation in TN, GA, KY...

6. With that said...and I am speaking for myself...I miss the Rivalry because I don’t see the Orange on a consistent basis. What I see is the next opponent and I live through your posts because once in the day I pissed all over Clem.

7. I’ll take a win over Clem or a win over The Cit...I know that still stings.

We are on the right direction and have to focus on winning no matter the opponent!

Sorry this was long! Go Cocks!

4. We all hate Clemson as true Gamecocks and want to beat them at everything they do!!!

5. All of us as posters on this site do not live in SC. This is a huge factor in why most of us living out of state now grow to hate another team. For example, I went to Carolina in the early 90’s and moved back to Florida for a job opportunity. I can tell you I dislike UF now as much as Clem. I’m sure there are others like my situation in TN, GA, KY...

6. With that said...and I am speaking for myself...I miss the Rivalry because I don’t see the Orange on a consistent basis. What I see is the next opponent and I live through your posts because once in the day I pissed all over Clem.

We are on the right direction and have to focus on winning no matter the opponent!

That's a good, balanced, well-reasoned post. Did we beat UPC in 2010? Alrighty, then.

Last edited:
Look, if we can beat Jawga then Klempson ain't a problem we are going to be a good football team in 2018 that's all I need to know. We can beat anyone on our ledger.

Look, if we can beat Jawga then Klempson ain't a problem we are going to be a good football team in 2018 that's all I need to know. We can beat anyone on our ledger.
How about getting me a room in Atlanta next to yours. I'll pay you on Monday.;)

In regards to hating teams, here is an example of what we live with here in Greenville. I picked my daughter up from a prominent middle school early today. As we were leaving I see the resource officer’s car in the parking lot with an orange tiger paw front plate. Now this is an official Greenville County Sheriff deputy’s car, not his personal car! I told my daughter we don’t live in Greenville. We live in Orangville. I would say Orangeburg, but that name is already taken. I wonder if he flies orange flags too!

How about getting me a room in Atlanta next to yours. I'll pay you on Monday.;)
I didn't mention Atlanta...lol. I believe too many of us are underestimating this team and still love to compare them to Fla. etc. We ain't Fla, UT or Jawga let them worry about their guys because from a coaching aspect they're worry about our game. We have to get past the Citadel loss it was that loss that got us our new coach. I hate it when our fans say "We could be good, that is if the other teams don't get better". One year soon those teams will be hoping to get to our level in the East. Just watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT