ADVERTISEMENT

How bad do you want football?

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
CDC director says he believes we could end the epidemic if everyone wore face masks for the next 4-6 weeks. I know it's hard to take seriously what these people say, given that they are the same ones who told us a few months back that face masks were useless, but isn't it at least worth a shot? It's got to be a better option than shutting things down again.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
On a scale of 1-10. I’m about a 2. Not much to do with covid- but that football is more focused on politics then the game.

If k-12 and colleges can’t return to class because of covid. May as well just sit out athletics. Let the players all play x-box online and let the fans watch jumpingsmile

Last edited:
We can't even get people to do what their supposed to so kids can go back to school, and we think they'll do it for football? Oh wait...for football they would. Eyeroll

Ha. If we phrase it that way, we may get more participation.

We can't even get people to do what their supposed to so kids can go back to school, and we think they'll do it for football? Oh wait...for football they would. Eyeroll
Heading into Folly Beach there is a community sign. They have an orange background on 1 message, a garnet background on the 2nd message. Same message. WEAR YOUR MASKS SO WE CAN WATCH FOOTBALL.

Reactions: 2TimeTiger
CDC director says he believes we could end the epidemic if everyone wore face masks for the next 4-6 weeks. I know it's hard to take seriously what these people say, given that they are the same ones who told us a few months back that face masks were useless, but isn't it at least worth a shot? It's got to be a better option than shutting things down again.
I wear a mask when I go into any establishment open to the public. However, I believe this virus is going to spread even if everyone wore a mask.

Sports will not happen this fall and the only real blame should be on the Chinese government.

I would like to see a fairly normal looking college football season very much (like a 8), but that's not going to happen. My interest level in seeing a truncated, conference-only, fanless, bandless, season where every team has star players in quarantine each week is much lower (about a 2 or 3). Sometimes you just can't cram the square peg into the round hole.

It amazes me how many are willing to roll the dice with their own kids health just to see them run out on that high school field one last time....

Reactions: gcocks2011
Heading into Folly Beach there is a community sign. They have an orange background on 1 message, a garnet background on the 2nd message. Same message. WEAR YOUR MASKS SO WE CAN WATCH FOOTBALL.

Can we get a garnet sign right beside it ranking the colleges in NCAA Division 1 football with positive Covid tests?

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
My interest level in seeing a truncated, conference-only, fanless, bandless, season where every team has star players in quarantine each week is much lower (about a 2 or 3).

If it was an either or, no season, or truncated with no fans in the stands, i think I'd be okay with the truncated. Basically, it's better than nothing

Football season was ruined on Memorial Day.
No college football for another year
Hope we hired a great S&C coach

The Germans will have fans in stadiums in October.
Premiere league had 1 positive test out of 2200

We blew it

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I would like to see a fairly normal looking college football season very much (like a 8), but that's not going to happen. My interest level in seeing a truncated, conference-only, fanless, bandless, season where every team has star players in quarantine each week is much lower (about a 2 or 3). Sometimes you just can't cram the square peg into the round hole.

I think a 10-game conference only season would be pretty interesting. I don't think we'd do well though.

We blew it
Yep, the horse left the barn a while back.

Everyone should wear face coverings and social distance so football shouldn’t even be a thought.

It amazes me how many are willing to roll the dice with their own kids health just to see them run out on that high school field one last time....
Let's take High School football out of the equation...If there are no college and Pro football this year just think of the businesses that will go out of business that depend on the sport. The amount of bars and restaurants that are around the stadiums that survive on that 5 month period. You think unemployment is bad now? Wait till that happens. The Government doesn't have enough money to bail them out. So...the question is what's the value of lives versus businesses going bankrupt and the unemployment going to 20%? Just a scary situation for sure.

Let's take High School football out of the equation...If there are no college and Pro football this year just think of the businesses that will go out of business that depend on the sport. The amount of bars and restaurants that are around the stadiums that survive on that 5 month period. You think unemployment is bad now? Wait till that happens. The Government doesn't have enough money to bail them out. So...the question is what's the value of lives versus businesses going bankrupt and the unemployment going to 20%? Just a scary situation for sure.

I don’t have all the right answers but I sure hope someone isn’t calculating a price on my life.

If you don’t address the pandemic it doesn’t matter what you do economically. If the pandemic has a cure or has run its course, those businesses or others will come back. Economic cycles are temporary. Death is permanent.

Agree. The hard part is getting people to agree on that value of lives vs businesses. You can't toss away life for profit, but you can't freeze an economy until no more lives are at risk.

I don’t have all the right answers but I sure hope someone isn’t calculating a price on my life.

If you don’t address the pandemic it doesn’t matter what you do economically. If the pandemic has a cure or has run its course, those businesses or others will come back. Economic cycles are temporary. Death is permanent.
Unfortunately unemployment and bankruptcy cause death as well. No one has ever seen this kind of economic failure in their lifetime. The rate of suicide skyrockets in those situations. I think we just need Jesus to return asap...

Agree. The hard part is getting people to agree on that value of lives vs businesses. You can't toss away life for profit, but you can't freeze an economy until no more lives are at risk.
I'm not arguing one point over the other...just reality. It does look like our President and the Sec. of Education have made their stance...Profit over life.

I'm not arguing one point over the other...just reality. It does look like our President and the Sec. of Education have made their stance...Profit over life.

That's a fallacy.

Plenty of lives and livelihoods are destroyed by economic shutdowns.

Sadly, There is a price on your life and every limb on your body. Dealing with workers comp on a daily basis, everyone's life has a value Ben.

:):)

I desperately want it, so your 8 is my 10. After all, this was supposed to be our National Championship and Heisman year :). Also, I am getting a little uncomfortable agreeing with so many of you Gamecocks; we need football to argue about!! (See, I used "Gamecocks" instead of another, less flattering word that I typically use). However, I completely agree with the rest of your post. There is no reason to go through such complicated contortions, which will surely fail, just to have football.

Stay safe!

Even without the full capacity of fans, you cannot have a game without the band in the stands. At least you will be able to hear the rooster crow loudly.

We blew it
The Jürgen Klopp avatar is not authorized on this forum and it must be removed right now...Just kidding.

I think Paris Saint Germain had an exhibition over the weekend in which 5,000 fans were able to attend the match. Also i think the Champions League (resumes 7 or 8 August) has not ruled out fans being able to attend the matches at some point before the conclusion of the 2020 finals

I think a 10-game conference only season would be pretty interesting. I don't think we'd do well though.
Sure, if that were the only change, no problem. But with all the other necessary changes, and the inevitable quarantines of star players, I think what's left will be slightly less interesting than NFL pre-season games. When teams are starting their 3rd stringers and walk-ons, it will all have the feel of exhibition games. I agree, that's more entertaining than no football at all, but it's not entertaining enough to get me out of the woods or off the river.

I don't think there is a fierce debate raging about high school football in the fall, but given the toll football takes on the body, wouldn't you agree that to some extent, we "roll the dice" every year that our kids run out onto a football field? Whatever debate may exist about high school football, I'm sure it's not advanced by demonizing those who assess the various risks to their kids differently.

I think the reason things have changed in terms of protocol is because we are learning more about the disease every day. At first the thought was that a lot of the spread must have come from touching surfaces - one of the reasons being we haven't seen similar viruses that spread so quickly through just respiratory means. We now know that surface contamination spreading is way less than respiratory spreading, but you should still wash hands and try not to touch your face because it isn't impossible. We also now understand the virus load necessary to infect someone, how much of the virus infected people breathe out with each breath, and how much a mask will keep the virus at bay (up to 90% won't be able to reach someone 6 feet away).

It is confusing, but we were dealing with a complete unknown before this got here and there is still so much we don't know - why it causes the clotting all over the body and why it affects brain function in some people (even if they only have the mildest of symptoms). But we'll know more soon.

I don't think there is a fierce debate raging about high school football in the fall, but given the toll football takes on the body, wouldn't you agree that to some extent, we "roll the dice" every year that our kids run out onto a football field? Whatever debate may exist about high school football, I'm sure it's not advanced by demonizing those who assess the various risks to their kids differently.

You know the risks when you decide to play football. You do not know when you're buying green beans it could put you in an ICU or worse a coffin.

There damn well better be football - HS and college. If there isn't, they are going to see a side of my redneck azz that I rarely show and I have no reason to hold back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT