ADVERTISEMENT

How busy will Columbia be with the Eclipse

People are losing their minds over this.

It's nice to see but would I book a room a couple hundred miles away if that were the path it took and travel a couple hundred miles to see it.....no.

Ok...

I'm going to say it... No one has mention it...

How many couples will try to have a baby during the total Eclipse moment and have an epic event for less than 2 minutes?????

Not really knocking it. I just think it is a bit silly to travel for something that will last a few minutes.
I hear ya.

If I stay in Atlanta, I'll see 97%+ sun coverage. If I go to Columbia, I get to see total solar blockage for probably the only time in my life, and spend time with family and friends too. It's the spending time with family and friends that makes it worthwhile for us to go to Columbia.

Any excuse to party?:)

Reactions: Jpcooper
Can you get glowing balls? :)
giphy.gif

Reactions: Golden Cock
No damn way? Is that an accurate estimate? I thought I heard like 150k
Unfortunately, the estimates are 500K-1 million. It seems there aren't very many major metropolitan areas that are on the true center path, but Columbia and Charleston are. According to some app my wife found, the center of the eclipse will go right down Longs Pond Road in Lexington. Lexington High School is supposedly one of the absolute best places to see this thing. Personally I wish it were happening somewhere else. I have not interest in 2 hours of darkness in the middle of a Monday afternoon...

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I had a large business in Columbia ask me to reschedule a meeting for that day to another day because of the eclipse and concerns about parking.

I rescheduled.

I live in the area but I plan to be at home and watch from there. I dont want to be stuck in traffic.

Unfortunately, the estimates are 500K-1 million. It seems there aren't very many major metropolitan areas that are on the true center path, but Columbia and Charleston are. According to some app my wife found, the center of the eclipse will go right down Longs Pond Road in Lexington. Lexington High School is supposedly one of the absolute best places to see this thing. Personally I wish it were happening somewhere else. I have not interest in 2 hours of darkness in the middle of a Monday afternoon...

My drive back from Charleston on that Sunday is going to be rough

I hear ya.

If I stay in Atlanta, I'll see 97%+ sun coverage. If I go to Columbia, I get to see total solar blockage for probably the only time in my life, and spend time with family and friends too. It's the spending time with family and friends that makes it worthwhile for us to go to Columbia.

Any excuse to party?:)
ATL - did you hear that Beaufort County School District purchased eclipse glasses for ALL students? I think that is awesome, and they aren't even in the path of totality. They start on the 17th, but planned a "staff development day" for the 21st.

Gonna travel down Sat from ATL and spend a few days in town to visit and stay for the eclipse Monday. I think its fun and a good thing that people are getting excited about something not sports or politics related.

Reactions: DC-99 and atl-cock
Batgirl. Don't want to be stuck in 4 hours of traffic going back north on 77. Any guesses on how that will be?

ATL - did you hear that Beaufort County School District purchased eclipse glasses for ALL students? I think that is awesome, and they aren't even in the path of totality. They start on the 17th, but planned a "staff development day" for the 21st.
Didn't know that, Batgirl; that is cool. I know that the Beaufort County Library is hosting an eclipse lecture.

While Chas is certainly the closest totality location to Bft, If I was in Bft and didn't have friends in Chas or Cola and wanted to see totality, I think I would go to St. Matthews, and take US 21/601 to get there. Stay away from the cities and major highways. McClellanville and Moncks Corner are a little closer, but I couldn't avoid Chas to get there.

Reactions: DrMickey
Wow. If I had a nickel for every time I worried about two minutes living up to expectations :)
There's a difference between significant disappointment and total lack of fulfillment. This has the potential to be neither or either one. It's all about the weather.

Last edited:
thinking of coming down there
This was a topic of conversation on Tony Kornheiser's podcast today. One of his companions, producers or whatever plans on jumping in the car & heading to Columbia from DC if that lends any perspective. Several on the show commented about their previous eclipse viewings, one of which included "there were more weirdos out for that than I can describe".

We just vacationed in the Smokys. There are concerns about too many people arriving. We're about 30 minutes to the path of totality in western KY. Still debating about driving as far as we can until we hit traffic just to see it. Hotel rooms normally $80 in small towns where n path are reportedly $400/ night here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT