ADVERTISEMENT

How did Lewis and Wideman look?

Lewis looked REAL good... I mean it was a Spring game, but he mostly played in the 1st half and was ALL OVER the QBs...

Didn't hear Wideman's name once.

English had. Big Day at DE as well!

Al Harris Jr played like an all American. Big improvement in the Defense from what we saw today.

Of course you could say "maybe the O just sucks", but it looked like the scheme was simple, the guys understood what they were supposed to be doing and we had guys at every level making plays. BAW looks to have added some muscle and made some really nice plays as well. We HAVE the talent now... No excuse for sub par defensive play!

Darius English having a big day is not necessarily a good thing but I know we have some O linemen out.

I still believe English may pan out, some guys just take longer. I hate to mention a clemsucker but one of those 5 star linebackers (name?) they bought a while back didn't do much until his junior year and played pretty well his senior year. I'm not sure if the other one has done much?

English look like he might have finally put enough weight on to be an SEC caliber end. Lets all hope.
He would probably be effective if Wideman and Lewis pan out as expected.

About English. He, like the other DE's didn't stand a chance last year. When the opposing blocker (OT) knows exactly who is rushing and from where. The Off. Tackle is able to take his steps knowing exactly who he is to block and which gap. The defensive front must make the OLine think and even guess just before the ball is snapped. This causes hesitation which allows the pass rusher to get "under or past" the blocker. We were terrible at this last year.

I look for English to give us some production this year. He is not an every down player. But he has some burst and speed off the edge that should help us in obvious passing situations.

The key for our pass rush, is what we do before the ball is snapped. Assorted alignments, various blitzes, pre-snap movement etc. The entire opposing OLine, (all 5 blockers) must feel that both gaps (his left and his right) are threatened. Guessing who and which way to block as the ball is snapped causes blown assignments. Blown assignments and hesitations is the way you get sacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT