ADVERTISEMENT

How did our momentum fade?

DeepfriedCock

Jan 30, 2017
We just had a 4 star offensive linemen decommit. In the last 2 weeks you would've thought we finished 4-8.

Welcome to the NEW college football. Lots have changed.
But we’re not the only ones. It’s literally everybody.

We just had a 4 star offensive linemen decommit. In the last 2 weeks you would've thought we finished 4-8.
Could it be possible they decommited as a result that Adkins may not be retained? Below is a section of an article about coaching staff contracts

Offensive line coach Greg Adkins’ contract is set to expire on Dec. 31, a matter that did not come up during the meeting. His current expiring salary is at $550,000 annually. Almost the entire remainder of the coaching staff is going into next season with one year left on their respective deals as of now.

As for Shane Beamer's contract, and what this could mean for his own raise and possibly contract extension? Stay tuned on that front, according to Tanner.

"Ongoing conversations," he said. "I can't comment on that at this time, but certainly there's conversations to be had with Coach Beamer. There are cerainly ongoing conversations to be had about Coach Beamer and his future."

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/ne...ract-pete-lembo-raise-approved-at-bot-meeting

Because while the two upsets to end the season were a lot of fun, we were really a 4-8 team that got lucky this year.

I have a feeling in 2025 or 2026 we'll look back and think, "Wow.Beamer was the luckiest coach in the world in 2021 and 2022 to have so many opponents fall apart against him."

Reactions: gcockwin
Simple. The players. Its a new era. Its 100% selfishness at all times. The regular season ended and the players immediately ditched all loyalty and began shopping for something different. Its tearing teams apart everywhere not just USC.

Every coach, and every business that players ask for NIL from, should remember they have absolutely no loyalty to the team or fans. Make your decisions regarding their requests accordingly

Because while the two upsets to end the season were a lot of fun, we were really a 4-8 team that got lucky this year.

I have a feeling in 2025 or 2026 we'll look back and think, "Wow.Beamer was the luckiest coach in the world in 2021 and 2022 to have so many opponents fall apart against him."
Maybe but in fairness teams change as seasons go especially with a new coaching staff as players get better grasps of the playbook. We easily could have been 4-8. But, we also could have played better vs Arkansas and Mizzou and been 10-2 as well.

Seems like that's what you are hoping for. Does being right about someone mean that much to you, that you would wish for that for the program? Pretty sad. I hope Beamer's recent success continues. I think he will be a really good head coach, but if not that will play itself out.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Seems like that's what you are hoping for. Does being right about someone mean that much to you, that you would wish for that for the program? Pretty sad. I hope Beamer's recent success continues. I think he will be a really good head coach, but if not that will play itself out.

I think the immediate future for all FBS teams is unless you’re in the playoffs, your team will be in a period of selfish chaos immediately at regular seasons end. The NIL + portal has created the most selfish, uncommitted pool of athletes anywhere in American sports. Just imagine if the NFL has instant 100% free agency at the end of every regular season, AND no salary cap!! It would destroy the NFL. Thats what CFB now has

I think the immediate future for all FBS teams is unless you’re in the playoffs, your team will be in a period of selfish chaos immediately at regular seasons end. The NIL + portal has created the most selfish, uncommitted pool of athletes anywhere in American sports. Just imagine if the NFL has instant 100% free agency at the end of every regular season, AND no salary cap!! It would destroy the NFL. Thats what CFB now has
True...people skewered Dablow for predicting the chaos that would result in an unregulated system but turns out he was right...

As Gamecock fans we really have no basis to think successful momentum will continue. Lucy will continue to yank the success football from our kicking foot.

Why do you guys always resort to this type of thinking? Why would I want Beamer to fail?

I want him to prove me wrong, I just don't think he will. I'm scared of where we are heading the next 2-3 years and will leave us an even bigger hole to dig ourselves out.

Why do you guys always resort to this type of thinking? Why would I want Beamer to fail?

I want him to prove me wrong, I just don't think he will. I'm scared of where we are heading the next 2-3 years and will leave us an even bigger hole to dig ourselves out.
No one wants Beamer to fail. Unfortunately the way college football and sports in general are today success is pretty much out of the control of coaches. It is based on NIL money.

Maybe but in fairness teams change as seasons go especially with a new coaching staff as players get better grasps of the playbook. We easily could have been 4-8. But, we also could have played better vs Arkansas and Mizzou and been 10-2 as well.

My 4-8 comments were based on the quality of coaching. I think we're easily a 10 win team this year if we had adequate coaching.

Everyone likes to bash Muschamp, but he left a lot of quality on the roster. Beamer deserves credit for adding in Rattler and Wells but he inherited a good core like McElwain did. We shall see if Beamer survives when that core is gone. McElwain did not.

No one wants Beamer to fail. Unfortunately the way college football and sports in general are today success is pretty much out of the control of coaches. It is based on NIL money.

Well the other poster was accusing me of wanting Beamer to fail. And while NIL is obviously a big deal right now, the pressure of NIL makes it even more important that your coaches are Xs and Os guys who can scheme around the talent.

We're not going to outspend Alabama or UGA. We need coaches that can out scheme them.

Well the other poster was accusing me of wanting Beamer to fail. And while NIL is obviously a big deal right now, the pressure of NIL makes it even more important that your coaches are Xs and Os guys who can scheme around the talent.

We're not going to outspend Alabama or UGA. We need coaches that can out scheme them.
Agreed. Why does Dowell Loggains not inspire my confidence that he is the guy to do that? Until he calls a game where we score more than 30, he will be known as Kenny Loggins. TNGamecock accuses me of being too negative, I always think, it would be nice to not have to hope for the best in a new coaching hire. It seems like that is the qualification we most look for in a new coordinator. Satterfield included.

Reactions: uscwatson21

You are correct but a lot of people are blinded by the last two wins. We were a dumpster fire most of the season. Some sort of change was made obviously for the last two games, although we'll never know exactly what. And according to Beamer this morning we have arrived and are making history with every step we take. We should be going to the Hyperbowl not the Gator Bowl.

You are correct but a lot of people are blinded by the last two wins. We were a dumpster fire most of the season. Some sort of change was made obviously for the last two games, although we'll never know exactly what. And according to Beamer this morning we have arrived and are making history with every step we take. We should be going to the Hyperbowl not the Gator.
Well considering the number of starters who opted out or transfer portaled out we really returned to dumpster fire status quickly. I get that we are not the only school suffering due to transfers, but holy hell it was our best players, because depth wise nobody wants the others. On paper, Notre Dame should beat us by 20. Their JV were higher rated recruits than our JV Team.

Agreed. Why does Dowell Loggains not inspire my confidence that he is the guy to do that? Until he calls a game where we score more than 30, he will be known as Kenny Loggins. TNGamecock accuses me of being too negative, I always think, it would be nice to not have to hope for the best in a new coaching hire. It seems like that is the qualification we most look for in a new coordinator. Satterfield included.

The biggest issue next year, is all of our hard games are front loaded. If Loggains doesn't come out hot, we're in for a very rough start.

The biggest issue next year, is all of our hard games are front loaded. If Loggains doesn't come out hot, we're in for a very rough start.
I don't think the fanbase understands the amount of talent that just portaled themselves out. There are rumors that Nick Emmanwori is soon to ba bye himself through the portal. We have never had depth so we may take a total reversal. If Rattler leaves, I don't even know where that leaves us... Even if he stays, who blocks for him?

I don't think the fanbase understands the amount of talent that just portaled themselves out. There are rumors that Nick Emmanwori is soon to ba bye himself through the portal. We have never had depth so we may take a total reversal. If Rattler leaves, I don't even know where that leaves us... Even if he stays, who blocks for him?
You're absolutely right with this post.

Beamer claimed Clayton White was a great hire today but he walked into the team with two NFL corners in Rush and Smith. He won't have those next year. He had Pickens who is gone. He loses both linebackers without any real semblance of a replacement.

Everyone is talking about the offense, but next year we will see if White is actually a good hire or not.

While our OL was not great by any stretch, they were incredibly experienced. They blocked for a bunch of yards when Bobo was here. They seemed to regress a bit the past two years but were still serviceable. I really wonder for Rattler next year. He can obviously make a lot of NIL money to stay, but he has to be worried about who is going to protect him in the pocket next year.

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
Damn! I hate to agree with you re: such a bleak outlook for college football, but . . . . you're right. The NIL brain fart was ill conceived from the start, and I don't see a solution in the future. What were those assholes thinking!!!

True...people skewered Dablow for predicting the chaos that would result in an unregulated system but turns out he was right...
He was right. In fairness to the coaches, yes they (coaches) make probably WAY too much, but, they already worked 80-90 hour weeks and spend months on the road recruiting. NOW their job includes re-recruiting all 85 players and having to shop around for NIL deals to feed their players egos. Its an impossible job now

Seems like
He was right. In fairness to the coaches, yes they (coaches) make probably WAY too much, but, they already worked 80-90 hour weeks and spend months on the road recruiting. NOW their job includes re-recruiting all 85 players and having to shop around for NIL deals to feed their players egos. Its an impossible job now
and the parents egos!!!! Now I see why Dabo simply just uses the youth church pastor personae.

Maybe you and Clemwatson could enlighten the rest of us dumba$$es. I'm sure USC is the only college having issues with the portal (see aTm) and it's all Beamer's fault. Some of you people kill me. We win the last 2 big games, and we all know that was just luck and had nothing to do with coaching. We lose to Georgia nd it was all coaching. You are miserable freaking people. I watch this board to get information and talk Gamecocks, but you make it hard. Maybe that's your intention. freudenschade- look it up

Maybe you and Clemwatson could enlighten the rest of us dumba$$es. I'm sure USC is the only college having issues with the portal (see aTm) and it's all Beamer's fault. Some of you people kill me. We win the last 2 big games, and we all know that was just luck and had nothing to do with coaching. We lose to Georgia nd it was all coaching. You are miserable freaking people. I watch this board to get information and talk Gamecocks, but you make it hard. Maybe that's your intention. freudenschade- look it up
It is schadenfreude, but thanks for playing. Also, it isn't that other schools aren't having issues losing talent to the portal. As you may well have observed, South Carolina can't absorb the losses to the portal like a UGA or Bama, so when we lose our best talent we don't have as deep a bench. I didn't blame Beamer in the least. Don't get upset when facts don't support your fandom.

Well by rule, Beamer cant have anything to do w NIL. NIL has to be separate from the university. Coaches cant go to businesses and ask for NIL for players (im sure some do). The NIL IS UP TO THE FANS. How many USC fans own a business? Manage a big company? Time to pony up Gamecocks. Thats the world the players and advocates wanted, and we all cheered it on. “Good for tbem”, “the players deserve to be paid”.

Well here it is. USC itself isn’t allowed to pay players. Only NIL from private sector can. I wont bc I dont like NIL. But how many Gamecock fans are sponsoring a Gamecock FB player w NIL? Break out those checkbooks or accept 3-9 seasons

It is schadenfreude, but thanks for playing. Also, it isn't that other schools aren't having issues losing talent to the portal. As you may well have observed, South Carolina can't absorb the losses to the portal like a UGA or Bama, so when we lose our best talent we don't have as deep a bench. I didn't blame Beamer in the least. Don't get upset when facts don't support your fandom.
Maybe smart guy you should actually look up the definition. Thanks for playing

ask Clemwatson, I'm sure he has an answer for you. Maybe he can help you with a dictionary too. If you need me to "spell" it out to you. My word is the distress caused by someones else's success. Your word is the feeling of Joy caused by someone elses failure. Of course, you may have interpreted our winning those last 2 games as a failure. or here you go:

freudenschade

noun

• a feeling of sadness brought on by the good fortune of others. From the German "Schaden" (damage) + "Freude" (joy). The inversion of Schadenfreude.
    His freudenschade was obvious when he learned of my winning the lottery.
    Last edited on Nov 13 2010. Submitted by n0661n on Nov 12 2010.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShannonL
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Never underestimate Beamer's recruiting.

The one thing Beamer is excelling at is convincing people this is an elite class. But when I look at the class rankings we're barely in the top 20 and our highest player is outside the rivals 150.

It will be interesting to see how this class shakes out in 3-4 years. Seems like we're excelling on the fringe 4 star players and not really making an impact with the higher rated prospects.

The one thing Beamer is excelling at is convincing people this is an elite class. But when I look at the class rankings we're barely in the top 20 and our highest player is outside the rivals 150.

It will be interesting to see how this class shakes out in 3-4 years. Seems like we're excelling on the fringe 4 star players and not really making an impact with the higher rated prospects.
Can you elaborate?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT