ADVERTISEMENT

How did Tanner become so fond of CH?

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
What was the nature of their relationship before Tanner hired him as an assistant? When and how did they become acquainted? What was CH doing so well at NC that Tanner wanted him as an asst. coach? Why was/is he so enamored with CH?

Holbrook proved to be a great assistant to Tanner..He is a terrific recruiter...Chad was loyal to Ray and totally dedicated to helping Tanner build and maintain a rare standard of excellence...Despite how this is going right now, giving Holbrook his shot was a sound choice by Ray...Sometimes things go wrong unexpectedly...I never saw this coming...Had no idea Holbrook would allow the program to slide down so far

Reactions: rogue cock
Holbrook proved to be a great assistant to Tanner..He is a terrific recruiter...Chad was loyal to Ray and totally dedicated to helping Tanner build and maintain a rare standard of excellence...Despite how this is going right now, giving Holbrook his shot was a sound choice by Ray...Sometimes things go wrong unexpectedly...I never saw this coming...Had no idea Holbrook would allow the program to slide down so far

Chad came in and helped coached the team in 2009, we won our first National Championship in 2010, again in 2011 and runners up in 2012..

I doubt that in that one year, Chad brought in great talent in a short time of 2009. I think Chad came in at the right time to take credit for helping Carolina win a National Championship and Tanner just got caught up in the good feels at the time...

Thinking with his heart and not with his head...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Holbrook

They first became friends when Tanner was coaching at NC State and Chad was playing for North Carolina.

Reactions: nikolas22
I agree. Chad at the time of his hire was seen as a great hire, not just locally, but around baseball circles. It's been up and down since he got on board - 3 NCAAs, 2 Supers - which is good, but of course missing the postseason once and in danger of missing it this year has obviously angered many.

Regardless of whether or not it has worked, it was a very good hire at the time. CH was a great recruiter at UNC and built our two national championship teams. He was the "hot" assistant that was drawing interest from several programs including Tennessee.
They don't all turn out well though. If we do make a change, Ray is an AD that most hot candidates will want to work for.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Regardless of whether or not it has worked, it was a very good hire at the time. CH was a great recruiter at UNC and built our two national championship teams. He was the "hot" assistant that was drawing interest from several programs including Tennessee.
They don't all turn out well though. If we do make a change, Ray is an AD that most hot candidates will want to work for.
i don't know if CH can right the ship or not. If Ray determines that he can't, it's his call as to when that time is. I'd think a top notch coach would want to work for a guy who coached two national championship teams. However a prospective coach would I think, want to sense that his predecessor was given every opportunity to succeed. How else would he believe that he would be given the same courtesy? Jmho

Reactions: atl-cock
I disagree with the statements that Chad was universally seen as a great hire. I think most USC fans understood why he got the job, after his years as a top assistant and ace recruiter at two top programs. There was reason for optimism, but also plenty of concern with hiring a first-time head coach. There is a big difference between Tennessee expressing interest in Chad and us.

i don't know if CH can right the ship or not. If Ray determines that he can't, it's his call as to when that time is. I'd think a top notch coach would want to work for a guy who coached two national championship teams. However a prospective coach would I think, want to sense that his predecessor was given every opportunity to succeed. How else would he believe that he would be given the same courtesy? Jmho

Do you not think that Chad has been given enough opportunity? It's not like he took over a team in the dumster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT