ADVERTISEMENT

How did the Lady Vols drop so far in basketball?

Jan 19, 2017
Near Rocket Scientist , AL
Actually, how did all their sports drop so badly. It seemed like yesterday they were a top basketball school for men's and women's, and a great football team. I hate their men's teams, but it is sad that the WBB team fell off as much as it did.

I expect the Lady Gamecocks to take another step closer to winning the SEC tonight. Game could get ugly, fast.

Actually, how did all their sports drop so badly. It seemed like yesterday they were a top basketball school for men's and women's, and a great football team. I hate their men's teams, but it is sad that the WBB team fell off as much as it did.

I expect the Lady Gamecocks to take another step closer to winning the SEC tonight. Game could get ugly, fast.
Their all time winning coach (Pat Summit ?) retired.

Pat Summit was to WBB what Bear Bryant was to college football back in the day. It took 35 years for Alabama to find anyone comparable and logic suggests the same for replacing Summit. Coaches like those just don't grow on trees. They only come around once in a lifetime.

So they decided to have a horrible basketball team after that? I'd hope you don't have the same views of the Lady Gamecocks after Staleys time is ip.
That's actually a concern that I have (it doesn't keep me up nights or anything, but..). When Dawn leaves, or (hopefully) retires from here, what kind of coaching hire do we make?

Coaches matter. When you have a roster the size of a basketball team, then they REALLY matter.

If you go back and look at recruiting rankings UT has a more talented team than we do. They have TWO #1 national recruits, DeShields and Russell, and two other top ten national recruits and that is just their starting five!

They were 18-12 in regular season last year and are 13-7 this year. Put Dawn on their bench and they are a top 5 team. Holly Warlick has woefully under performed

Nearly impossible to follow a legend that was one of the best in the history of the game. They may rebuild eventually as I think they have a strong recruiting class lined up for next year. But it was inevitable that someone else would grab that mantle and carry it for awhile, thus the historic dominance of UConn, plus the emergence of programs like South Carolina in the wake of Summit's retirement and passing.

Officials handed Vols this win. Regardless, we will still win SEC (4 yrs. in a row). Regarding the recruiting rankings...I disagree that Tenn. is more talented. But, regardless I'll take Staley to evaluate, develop and coach any day

Reactions: NorthAlabamaTiger
I'm still speechless and feel terrible for talking junk about the lady vols. I can't believe that happen. I still think the UCONN game will be an awesome upset. Let's hope for it! It's all we can do! I trust these lady's will rebound.

I'm still speechless and feel terrible for talking junk about the lady vols. I can't believe that happen. I still think the UCONN game will be an awesome upset. Let's hope for it! It's all we can do! I trust these lady's will rebound.
I am just curious. Are you a Carolina fan?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT