ADVERTISEMENT

How do you plan on spending fall Saturdays this year?

Could be playing golf and maybe watching football depending on if the team has political t-shirts or stickers on their jerseys or does kneeling.

Isn't it also stupid to say "I'm going to watch because I've always watched"?

Just don't have a lot of interest in watching an outsider play QB for us.

I tolerated it with Feaster last year b/c we didn't have any RB talent to speak of.

We've got a QB. He proved himself last year under far-less-than-ideal circumstances. He's proved himself to be a Gamecock through and through. He sacrificed his body for this team, his teammates and coaches. I want to sink or swim with Ryan this year.

I've just got no interest in seeing some gimpy grad transfer who couldn't hack it in the MWC. Throwing on a Gamecock uniform doesn't make you a Gamecock. And I could give two sh*ts about him supposedly "knowing" the system. Kid hasn't played a complete season of football since 2015 as a high schooler.

Say all you want about the best player playing. There's also a lot to be said for loyalty. Ryan has earned the right to be starter this year.
Earned a right for a shot that is all. Play the best

Reactions: king ward
Watching the gamecocks when they play, Clemson against Notre Dame, English Premiere League Soccer and playing with my grandson.

Watching college football. Able to retire this month so I'm blessed to be able to get golf in during the week. Get the grill going on Saturdays and watch the Gamecocks. Life is Good !

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I cannot wait to watch some SEC football next weekend. I'm taking care of myself between now and next Saturday because I want to be able to put in a full day of eating and drinking. The weather is supposed to be great as well - you can't ask for a better Saturday.

Isn't it also stupid to say "I'm going to watch because I've always watched"?

Just don't have a lot of interest in watching an outsider play QB for us.

I tolerated it with Feaster last year b/c we didn't have any RB talent to speak of.

We've got a QB. He proved himself last year under far-less-than-ideal circumstances. He's proved himself to be a Gamecock through and through. He sacrificed his body for this team, his teammates and coaches. I want to sink or swim with Ryan this year.

I've just got no interest in seeing some gimpy grad transfer who couldn't hack it in the MWC. Throwing on a Gamecock uniform doesn't make you a Gamecock. And I could give two sh*ts about him supposedly "knowing" the system. Kid hasn't played a complete season of football since 2015 as a high schooler.

Say all you want about the best player playing. There's also a lot to be said for loyalty. Ryan has earned the right to be starter this year.

lol.....I bet Wisconsin hated it when Russell Wilson transferred there. I want the best out on the field. Plus Hill graduated from Dorman high school. He is a South Carolinian. He was not offered by South Carolina out of high school Or he would have been here from the start. He was a three star type QB who matured and grew by leaps and bounds after HS.

I love RH, but I am 100% behind whoever starts. Guy has NFL arm by most accounts. Let’s see what happens. This might be the year we have two quarterbacks who are successful like we did during the black magic years. It may take both the way injuries seem to hit nowadays

Smoke some wings, a Boston butt, ribs, or make some chili before tuning in to a day of college football. I will watch every Gamecock game that I can because as a USC grad, that is what I do. “Here’s a health Carolina, Forever to thee”

Reactions: Jbouton2
I think it affects team morale when you toss an experienced SEC QB to the curb in favor of a relatively inexperienced no-name QB from the MWC who has a meager resume and whose only selling point is that he purportedly knows the OC's system.

Hilinski ran the gauntlet of an SEC schedule as a true freshman. That alone is worth more than any credentials Hill brings to the table.

We should be used to this by now. Champ kept running Jake out there to crap the bed game after game, even after Scar showed he was more than capable at the position.

I'll agree with you on the JB situation from the year before last.
But as far as morale this year; [IF Collin Hill were to beat out Ryan Hilinski] How about when the team sees a player (hypothetically, RH) get the start just because he started last year, even if someone (hypothetically, CH) comes in and performs better? If I'm on the team, that tells me, "Dang, even if I bust my butt to be the best, they're still going to play their favorite from last year..."
Start and play whomever performs the best and gives the best chance to win.

I'll agree with you on the JB situation from the year before last.
But as far as morale this year; [IF Collin Hill were to beat out Ryan Hilinski] How about when the team sees a player (hypothetically, RH) get the start just because he started last year, even if someone (hypothetically, CH) comes in and performs better? If I'm on the team, that tells me, "Dang, even if I bust my butt to be the best, they're still going to play their favorite from last year..."
Start and play whomever performs the best and gives the best chance to win.

I agree, but that pressuposes that Colin will be markedly better than Ryan, which simply won't be the case. If he is at all, it's marginal. His body of work from the last 4 years/3 seasons speaks for itself. He's not suddenly going to be anything more than serviceable in his 5th year. I think that combined with Ryan's team seniority, his SEC experience (which FAR outweighs Hill's MWC experience), and his longer-term future with the team gets him the start.

It's a multifaceted decision. I think it would be a bummer for the guys who played with Ryan last year to see a new QB who isn't a part of the team's long-term future and isn't markedly better than Ryan get the start just b/c he knows the OC. Past experience and contribution to the team HAS to count for something. Now, if Colin is just head and shoulders better than Ryan across the board, then so be it. But that ain't gonna be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers
I'll be watching football if they play. Still not totally convinced that this season will be completed. I don't get the issue with Hill being an outsider. The guy is from Spartanburg and went to Colorado State because we didn't really recruit him. He has played well in the times I have seen him. The kid has just had poor luck with injuries. The program appreciates Hilinski, but he is not owed a starting position because he is a fan favorite.

Reactions: bucketdad
I'll probably watch most of the Carolina games from my couch. But I have an antelope, deer, and elk tag that need to be punched, so that will be a priority. How I allot my weekends in October and November will likely depend on how successful my hunting is early on and how successful the Gamecocks are early on. For whatever reason, I don't have a lot of enthusiasm at this point for the college season in general. As somebody said above, it just feels too much like an exhibition season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT