ADVERTISEMENT

How do you pronounce Nunez?

PerchedOnRings

Oct 1, 2001
I live out-of-State, so I only get pieces of radio coverage on the net when I can and Gameday coverage on the App. The second 'N' does not have the enye symbol over it (squiggly line that means "add a 'y sound' after the n), but I saw a post that said the broadcasters were pronouncing it wrong as "Noo-Nez" instead of "Noon-Yez". Which is correct?

I've never heard of anyone called "Noo-nez". But I don't exactly travel to Latin America very much. Maybe it's more common than I know.

I've never heard of anyone called "Noo-nez". But I don't exactly travel to Latin America very much. Maybe it's more common than I know.

Honestly, I haven't either. So I figured the announcers were specifically told to say it like that, since it sounded odd. Then I saw the post complaining about it.

I live out-of-State, so I only get pieces of radio coverage on the net when I can and Gameday coverage on the App. The second 'N' does not have the enye symbol over it (squiggly line that means "add a 'y sound' after the n), but I saw a post that said the broadcasters were pronouncing it wrong as "Noo-Nez" instead of "Noon-Yez". Which is correct?
NOON....YEZ

I still haven't figured out Dabo. DAY-BO, DAH-BO or DABB-O. Heard all three.

Reactions: usc1855
I've been trying to find an interview of Lorenzo Nunez pronouncing his own name to solve this mystery!!!

YouTube has different pronunciation videos for Nunez, Nuñez, Núñez, Nùñez...no doubt the accent marks get left off of uniforms, become forgotten over time, are hard to type, etc.

Last edited:
Todd Ellis was referring to him as Noo-nez on the radio if I'm not mistaken. But I believe its Noon-Yez.

Watch the Movie "Basic" from 2003 with Samuel L Jackson. I would post the scene from the movie but I can't find it. The way that Samuel L Jacksons character pronounces it is the way I hear it every time. When they are on the helicopter and are pairing up teams there is a person named Nunez.

When I see that name I expect to see to see a tilde over the second n, as in Nuñez. The ñez syllable is pronounced nyez.

Spurrier pronounces it properly; "Noon-yez"; Tommy and Todd pronounced it incorrectly. I suppose his family could have anglicized the pronunciation, as he is from North Georgia, but it's properly pronounced, "Noon-yez" and not "Noon-ez".

Reactions: chick75
Nunez?

It's "Neewn-Zee" ain't it?

'Course I'm from a place in South Carolina where it's legal to hunt with rifles in your backyard, the Subway counter in the new Wal-Mart is the communities first 'national chain' fast-food place and the ATM machine over by the 'help desk' is just the second one in the entire County.

The other money-machine up 'tween the gas station and the church we've always considered a 'branch bank'. That station, ATM and something ol' Lamar came up with after staying at the beach in Garden City for a month you'd have to call our 'shopping center' before Wal-Mart came.

Most people 'round here have wells and septic tanks and not all of the wells are real deep. I never thought it would work but Larmar's made a killing after digging a very deep well to the main aquifer where he sells from a self-serve building that ain't but about 10'X20' bring your own jug 'bottled spring water' for $ .50 cents a gallon and 10-pounds of ice for $ 1.50 or 20-pounds for $2.50.

It probably is the best tasting water in the County and it's also the source for his ice. From what I've seen his prices are very fair, too. People don't cheat you 'round here, at least not but once. And if you DO cheat anybody EVERYBODY knows it the same day unless they're out of town. Cheat bad enough and people won't wait for their neighbor's return to 'tell 'em' ... they'll call 'em up and warn 'em 'fore they come back home.

It sure looks like it's spelled "Neewn-Zee" to me.

Last edited:
Victory!

Nunez?

'Course I'm from a place in South Carolina where it's legal to hunt with rifles in your backyard, the Subway counter in the new Wal-Mart is the communities first 'national chain' fast-food place and the ATM machine over by the 'help desk' is just the second one in the entire County.

The other money-machine up 'tween the gas station and the church we've always considered a 'branch bank'. That station, ATM and something ol' Lamar came up with after staying at the beach in Garden City for a month you'd have to call our 'shopping center' before Wal-Mart came.

Most people 'round here have wells and septic tanks and not all of the wells are real deep. I never thought it would work but Larmar's made a killing after digging a very deep well to the main aquifer where he sells from a self-serve building that ain't but about 10'X20' bring your own jug 'bottled spring water' for $ .50 cents a gallon and 10-pounds of ice for $ 1.50 or 20-pounds for $2.50.

It probably is the best tasting water in the County and it's also the source for his ice. From what I've seen his prices are very fair, too. People don't cheat you 'round here, at least not but once. And if you DO cheat anybody EVERYBODY knows it the same day unless they're out of town. Cheat bad enough and people won't wait for their neighbor's return to 'tell 'em' ... they'll call 'em up and warn 'em 'fore they come back home.

Reactions: cemani
Spurrier pronounces it properly; "Noon-yez"; Tommy and Todd pronounced it incorrectly. I suppose his family could have anglicized the pronunciation, as he is from North Georgia, but it's properly pronounced, "Noon-yez" and not "Noon-ez".

This is the correct answer. My daughter cheers at Harrison in Cobb County where he is from. He has a little brother that is a freshman, Mario, and he is a player as well.

Nunez?

zbvsgi.jpg

Todd Ellis was referring to him as Noo-nez on the radio if I'm not mistaken. But I believe its Noon-Yez.

In these situations I find it best to listen to how Todd Ellis pronounces a name and use the exact OPPOSITE pronunciation. Todd has yet to figure out the lost art of properly pronouncing the names of our players, a very overrated part of the job apparently.

The good news is he has figured out there is not an actual 55 yard line on the field. And he has mastered the art of monosyllabic sounds that really don't add anything but seems to give him great joy, BOOM!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Nunez?

Do you just like hearing yourself type?

In Hawaii, a lot of hispanic names are pronounced as they look. And there are a lot of hispanic names via the Philippines. Example Pena is pronounced PEN-ah, not PAY-nya. Villarosa is pronounced villa-rosa, not via-rosa. So it could certainly be new-nez... if he was playing in Hawaii. But I doubt it's that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT