ADVERTISEMENT

HOW does Alabama get so much more

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
production out of their 310 lb offensive line compared to the rest of the leagues line of similar size?
Mentality? Coaching? Strength? Doesn’t seem as if talent should play a large role in opening up a hole. And it’s not like they have a great pass game to open up the run. It just amazes me they can seemingly get much more from a group of guys the same size as the other 13 SEC teams.

production out of their 310 lb offensive line compared to the rest of the leagues line of similar size?
Mentality? Coaching? Strength? Doesn’t seem as if talent should play a large role in opening up a hole. And it’s not like they have a great pass game to open up the run. It just amazes me they can seemingly get much more from a group of guys the same size as the other 13 SEC teams.
Bama has 7-8 top notch OL every year where most other teams have a combination with the next best being around of 3-6 top notch and some good back ups. Then you add in a top notch S&C coach and OL coach and it's not hard to see why.
It always starts with talent, and Bama gets the creme de la creme every season.

Bama's OL in 2012 was the best college line in recent memory, but their O lines under Kiffin dipped in quality. It's one of the reasons that Saban decided to go with a dual-threat QB the last two seasons. The O line under the new coordinator appears to have improved. The incredible stable of 5 star running backs helps as well.

Honestly it's coaching and development. They do get tremendous recruits but true 5 star OLine prospects are EXTREMELY rare . Every year if you look at every recruiting service there are never more than 3 or 4 five star OLine during each signing class . It's coaching . Why does Wisconsin ALWAYS have a dominant OLine ?? You never see them in the top of recruiting rankings . It's coaching philosophy that makes toughness and effort a priority.

Reactions: Judson1
Kids with great ability stand in line hoping for an offer. They go deep on the depth chart with tons of quality lineman. We get one of this caliber and we do back flips.

Bama's ability to national recruit should not be underestimated. The strength of their line is the left side, one kid from California and another from Iowa. The SE produces a ton of blue chip prospects, but O line talent in the region is just ok.

Some of those players only wanted to go to Alabama since they were 5. Sort of like Rudy wanting to play for Notre Dame but better players. We have had only a few of those players. When you get to chose from the top of 600 recruits or so you get some great players.

Wisky and other B1G teams get those massive Scandinavian bred farm boys. They are huge and mobile. That's what Beliema is missing at Arky.
True, they interviewed one of those boys a few years ago and he sayed that playing football was easy compared to working on his dads farm.

Another factor with Bama has to be that they have a more complex run game which makes it harder to predict the play even when everyone expects them to tun.

But even Bama, with all those great O linemen and 5 star backs, still features a running threat at QB in the red zone.

I'll say great coaching of 5* athletes beats great coaching of 3* athletes. Those stars for lineman usually have to do with maturity, quickness, and technique of those huge guys BEFORE they set foot on a college campus. It's crazy how consistently great their recruiting is. As long as Saban has that train rolling, the most any other SEC team can hope to do is win the conference in an upset.

Power P= (F) force x ( V) velocity

Reactions: Judson1
But how then do you explain the earth movers at Wisconsin. Every year they are just overwhelmingly able to run. They are not signing 5* OL.

How do you explain Bielema not being able to duplicate the O lines he had at WIS at ARK?

The people in the Wisconsin area are large compared to much of the rest of the nation. Big German / Scandinavian folks.
Yep. They are as thick as they are wide....like a huge block of granite. Not fat at all. And growing up on skates during the winter doesn't hurt their footwork at all.

Our line would look a lot better if we had Marcus Lattimore in the backfield. Honestly, I think just having the designed running plays with Bentley did more to help our offensive line in the second half than anything this year. Basically teams are bringing pressure on Bentley to force us to beat them with our running game. While we have some decent running backs, they aren't all-SEC type backs. However just by having the threat of Bentley breaking off a run was enough to open up the running lanes for those guys. Suddenly they had to account for a different facet of our offense and it was enough to make our Oline look a lot better.

As for Alabama, they have top notch O line at every position and 5 star backs in the backfield. There really isn't a weakness on the team. While our O-line wouldn't perform at their level, if we had their running backs and a QB that could run.....our guys would look a lot better.

Reactions: DrMickey
I~N~T~E~N~S~I~T~Y ! The one thing that has not been mentioned. It's a combo of 1) Talent, 2) Size, 3) Footwork, 4) Student of lineplay as a unit, 5) Coaching...... and most important I~N~T~E~N~S~I~T~Y . You have to go out there with all the intangibles, but when you strap the helmet and cleats on....something comes over the dominators, and that is a true desire to destroy the other guy !

Reactions: andypants
But, but, stars don't matter. /sarcasm :p
I agree stars don't matter. It's future srars!
Character
Intelligence (able to think quickly on their feet :) )
Agility and speed (go together)
Now if we have those 3 then power can be developed
Add a WOLF with a pink boa and future stars will rise

Kids with great ability stand in line hoping for an offer. They go deep on the depth chart with tons of quality lineman. We get one of this caliber and we do back flips.
I have to do funny looking cartwheels as back flips are out.

I have to do funny looking cartwheels as back flips are out.
Careful there, too. I did a bunch of cartwheels a few months ago at the age of 40. I woke up extremely bruised and sore.

I believe in the phrase "stars don't matter," but I also believe in the phrase "a whole roster full of 4 and 5 stars does matter," assuming you properly develop them.

Reactions: andypants
I~N~T~E~N~S~I~T~Y ! The one thing that has not been mentioned. It's a combo of 1) Talent, 2) Size, 3) Footwork, 4) Student of lineplay as a unit, 5) Coaching...... and most important I~N~T~E~N~S~I~T~Y . You have to go out there with all the intangibles, but when you strap the helmet and cleats on....something comes over the dominators, and that is a true desire to destroy the other guy !
I coached some guys that really enjoyed doing that. A couple of DL guys (different years) in particular would laugh loudly after a big hit.
Offensive guys had to be somewhat sly too. Make them think they were blocking someone else then lower the boom.
In highschool we were so much better than one team the right side if the OL told them who they were blocking and the snapcount. The tackle laying on top of the defensive guy, arm across his chest looks him in the eye and said. I told you I was blocking you.

Careful there, too. I did a bunch of cartwheels a few months ago at the age of 40. I woke up extremely bruised and sore.

I believe in the phrase "stars don't matter," but I also believe in the phrase "a whole roster full of 4 and 5 stars does matter," assuming you properly develop them.
So true! The big thing is some kids (I'm an old goat) mature at different ages. Thus a guy that's a 1* who has good speed and agility will have a high upside once he can shave. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT