ADVERTISEMENT

How hard is it to hire a head coach

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Who has a winning record...
Won big games...
Never been fired by another college team...
Coach offense and put lots points on the board...
And recruit players to fit their system and not worried about stars..

We have the check book, but Tanner wants to do this on the cheap...

You forgot to add if any of those coaches are interested. Also as soon as you hire someone from that list a vocal 1/3 of fans will be unhappy labeling that candidate as a retread. It is difficult..

You forgot to add if any of those coaches are interested. Also as soon as you hire someone from that list a vocal 1/3 of fans will be unhappy labeling that candidate as a retread. It is difficult..
If you hit the criteria of the OP you increase the chances of winning. Yes, a certain percentage of our fanbase don't understand the difference in high risk and low risk. They think any risk means it's all the same. They are like the Dumb and Dumber scene "so you're tellin' me there's a chance!"

Won big games...

You do not know anything about what Tanner is trying to do. He has not hired anyone or made an offer yet and cost has not been mentioned a single time by anyone associated with the search. That is completely made up. Multiple candidates connected to our search fit the criteria you mentioned.

I just think the attitude of about 1/3 of our fans has become toxic. They say shoot for the moon on candidates that have Zero interest and no chance of getting. When we don't get them then we get toxic talk on the boards and call in shows from the vocal minority. We have got to come together as the Gamecock Nation.

Won big games...

It's not hard. But, your last sentence is the bullseye. We want to hire on the cheap. There is no other logical explanation for it.

• Haha
Reactions: kidrobinski
I have to believe our next coach is very successful as a head coach in his present job and he is signed sealed and will be delivered after the season is over.

It’s not a job I would want. Hires that are empirically great at the time can become disastrous. As an AD, you’re largely judged on how the coaches perform that you hire. But it’s almost total guess work. Barring maybe 3 or 4 guys out there, it’s simply a crap shoot as to how a head coaching hire will work out.

Years ago we hired Paul Dietzel, who had won a national championship at LSU. I would guess that would look like a home run hire. Regretfully, his record at USC was not good. We will take a chance whomever we hire. There is no sure bet!
We’ve hired three coaches who won national championships at other schools before coming here. Only one finished here with a winning record. In addition to qualifications and goodness of fit, there are also external factors well beyond a coach’s control that can have as much or more to do w/how things shake out.

Spurrier is an all-time great coach, but he greatly benefitted by having a three or four-year run of special and deep talent in South Carolina that Clemson wasn’t doing a great job recruiting. He also benefitted from having a weak UNC program up the road that allowed us to pull guys like Melvin Ingram and Travian Robertson from NC, all at the same time Meyer was burning out at UF and Tennessee was cycling through a series of coaches after Fulmer was jettisoned in 2008. Had all of those factors not converged, it’s entirely possible that Spurrier never would’ve gotten over the 6-7 win hump.

Hiring a better coach certainly will improve our chances of succeeding, but it will take more than that to turn the corner and sustain success.

Last edited:
our fans make more assumptions about things they know nothing about! i get this is a message board but if you have nothing worthwhile to share i would rather you not say anything versus making crap up because you dont like someone

We’ve hired three coaches who won national championships at other schools before coming here. Only one finished here with a winning record. In addition to qualifications and goodness of fit, there are also external factors well beyond a coach’s control that can have as much or more to do w/how things shake out.

Spurrier is an all-time great coach, but he greatly benefitted by having a three or four-year run of special and deep talent in South Carolina that Clemson wasn’t doing a great job recruiting. He also benefitted from having a weak UNC program up the road that allowed us to pull guys like Melvin Ingram and Travian Robertson from NC, all at the same time Meyer was burning out at UF and Tennessee was cycling through a series of coaches after Fulmer was jettisoned in 2008. Had all of those factors not converged, it’s entirely possible that Spurrier never would’ve gotten over the 6-7 win hump.

Hiring a better coach certainly will improve our chances of succeeding, but it will take more than that to turn the corner and sustain success.
Bottom line in your post is that we recruited better players than we ever had. That is always the bottom line. It’s why Dawn Staley wins. It’s why Ray Tanner won.

Bottom line in your post is that we recruited better players than we ever had. That is always the bottom line. It’s why Dawn Staley wins. It’s why Ray Tanner won.
True, and most of those players came from our traditional recruiting footprint, where we don’t usually have a great enough density of game-changing players. Success expands a recruiting footprint, but a program with high expectations only has a limited window to improve enough to do that before fans/admin want a change (and recruits lose interest). Spurrier got a larger window because he was Spurrier, but neither his name nor his coaching would have been enough had Gilmore, Holloman, Clowney, Lattimore, Ingram, Jeffery, Swearinger, etc. not all come along in SC in a very compact time window. My point is simply that there are no sure things, either in terms of success or failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock

McGee and Hyman made the hires.. Who did Tanner hire?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Won big games...

Must be pretty hard. Tennessee has hired three duds in a row.

I wont bitch. Look at it this way, I'm sitting in a room with you, Lattimore,Swearinger and Melvin Ingram. Who would know more about Beamer, you a never has been key board warrior, or those players that played under him? Thats right

I can spot a winner a mile away without someone telling me other wise... And yes, I played under Coach Carlen.. Thank you very much...

The nouveau gamecock fan simply does not understand that, and naively just calls it “the loser mentality”, “accepting mediocrity”, etc. That was STEVE BLOODY SPURRIER, and as you point out even HE needed that perfect storm you cite to achieve any real degree of success here. And when THAT was gone, so was the success.

“South Carolina” is simply not the sexy place that the blue chip jimmys and joes grow up wanting to play for, never has been, and “demanding” this and “not accepting” that won’t change that.

What really blows their minds is while there are very many of us that by no means LIKE that landscape, we certainly understand it, and enjoy gamecock football, basketball, whatever anyway.

Saw a posting from tiger Phil Kornblutt quoting an article from Clark Johnson who writes for VoiceofMotown.com, who covers West Virginia football. Basically the article states that Neal Brown is building the WV program and would not go to a mediocre program at South Carolina. Telling WV fans not to worry, Neal is going nowhere.

Fulmer & Tanner are made out of the same mold...
Fulmer didn’t hire all 3. Hamilton, Fulmer and Hart each did. It’s hard to get a successful proven winner head coach to come for a rebuild job no matter how much you pay or what you can offer in support and facilities wise because most all other schools on this level are comparable and can pay that too. This is the toughest conference in college football and anyone not named Florida, Georgia or Alabama is gonna have a time getting a top coach. Lots and lots of Florida fans weren’t happy with the Mullen hire and I doubt many thought he’d have this early success he’s had. USC like most all SEC jobs are a great job to have and can pay lots of money but it’s hard to win in this conference and has a high probability in 3-5 years you will be fired and starting over. I wish it was as simple as just go offer so and so x amount of money and get him because he won’t turn that down. The truth is these coaches and agents are calculating and while it’s about the money it’s not totally about the money. All of them on that level are well off and know they can be very gainfully employed with a few phone calls. They are trying to maximize their futures and legacy both monetarily and financially. Their legacy and perception is very important to them. They don’t want to risk being a failure usually. There’s 2 for sure proven can’t miss coaches in my mind. That’s Saban and Urban. Everyone else is a crapshoot.

Won big games...

This is why Tanner should NEVER be an AD. He does not understand finances. Good hires, even if paid above market, pay for themselves. Look at Saban and Seinney!

If at all Raymond will hire a sure fire failure and then overpay (in the end not much in $) because no one else wants them.

Ray does know _ hit from shine and how to identify potential - Holbrook, Muschamp, and Kingston. Need I say more.

You lost all of your candidates when you said “winning record.” A coach with a winning record would not be interested in this job since he would want to go out with a winning record too. Face it, USC is a coaching graveyard. The only hope for USC is striking it big with a coach who has never had a head coaching job.

McGee and Hyman made the hires.. Who did Tanner hire?
McGee hired a national championship-winning coach in Holtz who had a lower winning percentage at USC than the coach that Tanner hired. Undoubtedly Holtz was a better coach over the course of his career than Muschamp has been. That was sort of the point: sometimes success is a matter of being in the right place at the right time, or at least being the best suited to play the cards that have been dealt (although in Holtz’s case, his lack of success was attributable to losing interest in the job after the second Outback Bowl).

lol. You've at one time or another wanted to fire just about every coach at the University. You dont know jack squat. You are a whiner and complainer and IF you did play under Carlen I bet you never saw the field.

Yes, and I was proven right... Fire Chad, Fire Muschamp, Fire Martin and Fire Tanner as AD... So far I'm 4-0....

You know why candidates are interested in Bama Michigan so cal. Notre Dame. Because they pay big money. To get the coach we need will require 5 - 6 Million a year. Not 3 like we willing to pay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT