ADVERTISEMENT

How is a team that is a 11.5 point underdog to ANY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY

Beating everyone on your schedule does not necessarily make you one of the four best teams in the country.
Not when you put it like that. Fact of the matter is Oklahoma beat multiple ranked teams. Their one loss is to Texas, who finished the regular season in the top 15, and it was only by 3 points. They then beat that top 15 Texas team by 10+ at the end of their season. Jawja lost to LSwho by 20 and to Alabama in their conference championship.

You advocating for a 2 loss non conference champion to make it in over a 1 loss conference champion lacks common sense. At some point you have to punish a team for losing and reward a team for winning.

Beating everyone on your schedule does not necessarily make you one of the four best teams in the country.

What if UGA lost 3 games? Obviously still one of the best 4 teams.

I think they need to get the 4 most deserving teams. UGA got killed by LSU. They had their chances and squandered it.

Reactions: Judson1
Vegas spreads are not and should not be indicative of who goes to the playoff. Some teams match up better with others and less with others as well. It doesn't mean they are a worse team overall.

Vegas is just reacting to the teams that happen to be matched up in the CFP.

Reactions: Carolina4
Either way, we're most likely looking at Bama Clemson, part 3 (or part 4). Need Tua to be healthy. Hopefully ND defense is better than advertised.

Either way, we're most likely looking at Bama Clemson, part 3 (or part 4). Need Tua to be healthy. Hopefully ND defense is better than advertised.
One thing UND has that may give Clemson problems is big and strong WRs. They get good positioning and will out muscle you for the ball.

I think they need to get the 4 most deserving teams. UGA got killed by LSU. They had their chances and squandered it.
Then they need to say “4 most deserving teams “ because saying 4 best simply isn’t true.

Reactions: GCock47

They squandered it twice, once by the loss to LSU, but the big one was, a horribly disguised and unexplainable fake punt call on 4th and 11 from the 50.

Worst call I have seen in years.

Maybe they should select the top 4 (or 8) teams before the conference championships. If you make it to the conference champ game, you're obviously pretty damn good. Half the teams that make it that far are adding another loss. Or do you think the conference finals are basically round 1 of the playoffs, knocking out half the contenders?

Of course then there's Notre Dame...

Reactions: 92Pony
Need to go to 8, and eliminate any/all qualifiers (conference championships as a metric). Best. 8. Teams. Period.

Maybe eventually they go this route. If that's the case, there would be no need for the conference championship games. Each conference benefits greatly from it from a profit standpoint so I don't foresee that in the near future, but I do see the arguments against it (see UGA this year and Notre Dame). Clemson certainly benefited from winning a weak ACC conference and going undefeated.

I agree with other posters, UGA probably is one of the top 4 teams, but you can't discredit the current system and OU getting in ahead of them. The chips may fall in UGA's favor next year if say they lost 1 or 2 conf games, make it back to the SECCG and were to beat Alabama. The current system isn't biased (or shouldn't be) in that sense if they got in over a "more deserving" B1G team that lost their conf game and that was their only loss.

No system is perfect. Take 8 and there would be b!+ching about who is #9. The NCAA takes 68 in basketball and the sports channels and message boards spend days railing about who got left out.

Reactions: rogue cock
It just means you didn't play the best teams in the country is all. Jawga is far better than Clemson and the strength of schedule says so Jawga OL can handle the fat boys. If Clemson had to play Bama to get in where would they be or even ND for instance hell, even A&M had them and that's about the toughest game they had. We put up big numbers and showed their weaknesses and still they are considered one of the best 4 teams out there..BS and they know it. They talk about the fat boys on the DL but our guys handled them pretty well an put up huge numbers and STILL they kiss their butts in the selection process...unbelievable. Yet, the Tiger mouth breathers are blind to the fact that 12-0 only makes you 12-0 not one of the best 4 big boys playing. They hit us with "well we beat you by 21 pts) right you did but it pissed off the fans so much even Dabo had to call them out. They don't fess up to the fact they couldn't stop us and a 21 point win is all they could muster against a freshman defense?..lol Lord, let me live long enough to see them cry again. Amen

Need to go to 8, and eliminate any/all qualifiers (conference championships as a metric). Best. 8. Teams. Period.

Maybe eventually they go this route. If that's the case, there would be no need for the conference championship games. Each conference benefits greatly from it from a profit standpoint so I don't foresee that in the near future, but I do see the arguments against it (see UGA this year and Notre Dame). Clemson certainly benefited from winning a weak ACC conference and going undefeated.

I agree with other posters, UGA probably is one of the top 4 teams, but you can't discredit the current system and OU getting in ahead of them. The chips may fall in UGA's favor next year if say they lost 1 or 2 conf games, make it back to the SECCG and were to beat Alabama. The current system isn't biased (or shouldn't be) in that sense if they got in over a "more deserving" B1G team that lost their conf game and that was their only loss.
anytime a 13 man committee chooses 4 teams out of about 130 to compete for a championship, there will be bias. Div 1 football championship is and always will be a joke. Until they have an honest playoff, it will always be a MNC.

Reactions: 92Pony

Just because Georgia played Bama close does not qualify it to be in the playoffs or suggest they are one of the four best teams. First they got curb stomped by a mediocre LSU. Addressing the Bama game, yes they played Bama until the end, but there is always those games that are a fluke and the lesser team just plays out of their butts and the higher ranked team not so much. Tau has been hurt most of the late portion of the season, evident even though Saban has denied it. His playing an injured qb actually hurt their team and could have cost them the game had Hurts not stayed around or Smart made some really stupid plays. Doesn’t really matter what conference you play in a two loss, especially to LSU, doesn’t get you in the playoffs

Reactions: Carolina4
I don't get what's so hard for some to understand. If Georgia had one loss, they would have for sure been in. They lost by 20 to a LSU team that's not great. Hypothetically: they put Georgia in. They would have to put them in the 4 spot, they are not going to put them in front of a team with 0 losses. No one wanted to see a rematch in the first round of the playoffs other than dawg fans.

I don't get it, I hate Georgia only second to Clemson, as many should. Why are there so many on here trying to argue for them? b/c they are in SEC? You do realize we recruit against them a lot more than Oklahoma, right? I want no success for a school we recruit so close against every year.

So common sense says UCF should be in and Oklahoma out?
No. UCF’s atrocious schedule strength is why they’re not in. Their policy of only scheduling home and homes with P5s makes nobody want to sign up to play them. They need to agree to some road trips with nothing in return to earn that respect
Not only that, their lone loss was a close one to a good opponent, which they avenged on Saturday.
Exactly

No. UCF’s atrocious schedule strength is why they’re not in. Their policy of only scheduling home and homes with P5s makes nobody want to sign up to play them. They need to agree to some road trips with nothing in return to earn that respect
Oklahoma went 12-1, beat everyone on their schedule, and won a conference title. Jawja did not.

It’s really as simple as that. It’s common sense
UCF went 12-0.
"beat everyone on their schedule" - Check
"won a conference title" = Check

I'm not saying UCF deserved to be in the CFP but you are painfully building a straw man argument.

Given your name, I would hope you would avoid it instead of shooting yourself in the foot.

UCF went 12-0.

I'm not saying UCF deserved to be in the CFP but you are painfully building a straw man argument.

Given your name, I would hope you would avoid it instead of shooting yourself in the foot.
UCF played zero power 5 school. If they scheduled 2or more power 5 and won they would be in

UCF went 12-0.

UCF played zero power 5 school. If they scheduled 2or more power 5 and won they would be in
They curb stomped pitt. Are they not a power 5 school? If that's the case, clemson should be out, as the ACC isn't a viable conference. Js

If CFU beat 8 power 5 schools they wouldn’t be in because “deserve “ doesn’t have anything to do with it.
They are not one of the 4 best teams.
Warm fuzzy feelings and good stories should never come into consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT