ADVERTISEMENT

How is a team that is a 11.5 point underdog to ANY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY

Seems like we've said that about the team in Athens a lot over the past decade or so. So far, Kirby has as many national titles at UGA as Richt had.
laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

UCF went 12-0.
"beat everyone on their schedule" - Check
"won a conference title" = Check

I'm not saying UCF deserved to be in the CFP but you are painfully building a straw man argument.

Given your name, I would hope you would avoid it instead of shooting yourself in the foot.
They are intrinsically unsuited. They are the wrong kind of entity.

UCF went 12-0.

I'm not saying UCF deserved to be in the CFP but you are painfully building a straw man argument.

Given your name, I would hope you would avoid it instead of shooting yourself in the foot.
UCF is not in the power 5. Their strength of schedule is abysmal

Need to go to 8, and eliminate any/all qualifiers (conference championships as a metric). Best. 8. Teams. Period.

If they go to 8 the only way that would happen (for all conferences to agree) would be for all power 5 champs get in automatically, then the highest ranked non power 5 gets in, then 2 at large bids.

anytime a 13 man committee chooses 4 teams out of about 130 to compete for a championship, there will be bias. Div 1 football championship is and always will be a joke. Until they have an honest playoff, it will always be a MNC.
I beg to differ. The whole season was about 6 or 7 teams nobody else, UCF was never taken seriously for instance. JMO

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
They squandered it twice, once by the loss to LSU, but the big one was, a horribly disguised and unexplainable fake punt call on 4th and 11 from the 50.

Worst call I have seen in years.
Tater's were begging for Bama to win, did not want anypart of UGA or Bama in the 1st round of the playoffs. So they will continue with their soft schedule all the way to the finals.

anytime a 13 man committee chooses 4 teams out of about 130 to compete for a championship, there will be bias. Div 1 football championship is and always will be a joke. Until they have an honest playoff, it will always be a MNC.
I beg to differ. The whole season was about 6 or 7 teams nobody else, UCF was never taken seriously for instance. JMO
That's my whole point. Can you imagine if the nfl picked 4 teams to play for the superbowl? Div 1 football is the only sport that does this. The system is a money making scam.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
UCF is not in the power 5. Their strength of schedule is abysmal
UCF went 12-0.
UCF went 12-0.
UCF went 12-0.
UCF went 12-0.

Holy crap. It's like having a discussion with a 5 year old. Read your original post.

Oklahoma went 12-1, beat everyone on their schedule, and won a conference title. Jawja did not.

It’s really as simple as that. It’s common sense

You gave specific points on why Oklahoma deserved to get into the CFP.
UCF can match those same points but even better since they haven't lost.
I repeat, I did NOT say UCF deserved to go.

If you are going to discuss why something should or should not happen you should give specific examples that explain why.

Strength of schedule is exactly why... but your first post didn't mention anything about it.
Flimsy points like this is why UCF has ammo in these stupid conversations.

but the poster is wrong.. okla. didnt beat everyone on their schedule

You are correct, but look at the teams in the Big 12. The Big 12 is not a very good conference. Do you believe that if OK would have won all of their games playing in the SEC. If one wants to use that logic then UCF should have been in the playoffs for the past two years.

Media keeps lecturing about P5 schools not scheduling UCF. Well, as I recall we did, went down there and won. Then the same media dropped us four spots in the polls! So while UCF has their arguments, I won't listen to them from the media.

As for the eight team playoff (which is coming, btw, the next step as I predicted years ago) if you think that "removes flaws" you're sadly mistaken.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Media keeps lecturing about P5 schools not scheduling UCF. Well, as I recall we did, went down there and won. Then the same media dropped us four spots in the polls! So while UCF has their arguments, I won't listen to them from the media.

As for the eight team playoff (which is coming, btw, the next step as I predicted years ago) if you think that "removes flaws" you're sadly mistaken.

I wish the committee would have put UCF in the playoffs to end their argument once and for all.
They remind me of Hawaii in 2007, undefeated, played a similar schedule to UCF, brakes beat off them by Georgia.
I hope Coach O and LSU take them behind the woodshed.

I think 6 is the right number for the playoffs.

I think we were one of their only losses that year too. Screen Passes to Mike Davis saved the day that day.

You are correct, but look at the teams in the Big 12. The Big 12 is not a very good conference. Do you believe that if OK would have won all of their games playing in the SEC. If one wants to use that logic then UCF should have been in the playoffs for the past two years.

Well, they actually did beat everyone that was on their schedule? They just didn't win every game. lol

As for the eight team playoff (which is coming, btw, the next step as I predicted year ago) if you think that "removes flaws" you're sadly mistaken.

Well your prediction "year ago" hasn't come true and isnt "coming" anything soon.... the 4 team contract runs until 2026.
Here's hoping in 2026 they make the right decision, for reasons i've stated in previous post and stay at 4
So hunker down and get use to a 4 team playoff

Reactions: king ward
Just because Georgia played Bama close does not qualify it to be in the playoffs or suggest they are one of the four best teams. First they got curb stomped by a mediocre LSU. Addressing the Bama game, yes they played Bama until the end, but there is always those games that are a fluke and the lesser team just plays out of their butts and the higher ranked team not so much. Tau has been hurt most of the late portion of the season, evident even though Saban has denied it. His playing an injured qb actually hurt their team and could have cost them the game had Hurts not stayed around or Smart made some really stupid plays. Doesn’t really matter what conference you play in a two loss, especially to LSU, doesn’t get you in the playoffs
You gonna upset Clemson fans by calling LSU mediocre as they are much higher ranked than anyone Clemson played.

I do agree however that the LSU loss rightfully caused UGA being left out of the CFP ....despite a good performance against a tough schedule.

Not when you put it like that. Fact of the matter is Oklahoma beat multiple ranked teams. Their one loss is to Texas, who finished the regular season in the top 15, and it was only by 3 points. They then beat that top 15 Texas team by 10+ at the end of their season. Jawja lost to LSwho by 20 and to Alabama in their conference championship.

You advocating for a 2 loss non conference champion to make it in over a 1 loss conference champion lacks common sense. At some point you have to punish a team for losing and reward a team for winning.

Not necessarily. It depends on what the goal is. Is the goal to have the BEST 4 teams in the playoffs, or to have the 4 teams with the best records in the playoffs? I don't think there is any sane individual with any football sense at all that would say UGA is not a better football team than OK, and could beat them in a head to head matchup.

Not necessarily. It depends on what the goal is. Is the goal to have the BEST 4 teams in the playoffs, or to have the 4 teams with the best records in the playoffs? I don't think there is any sane individual with any football sense at all that would say UGA is not a better football team than OK, and could beat them in a head to head matchup.
That may be true, but Georgia has not proven it with their body of work

Reactions: Jpcooper
That may be true, but Georgia has not proven it with their body of work
I think their body of work was pretty convincing last Saturday when they physically whipped the consensus #1 team in the country and only lost the game due to bone headed coaching decisions. Again, what is the goal? BEST 4 teams or best 4 records?

Other than Alabama who did Ga play that is really a good team. They lost to LSU but is Ky really that good if a team? When they played anyone with a pulse they lost and one game was given to them in the last seconds

Other than Alabama who did Ga play that is really a good team. They lost to LSU but is Ky really that good if a team? When they played anyone with a pulse they lost and one game was given to them in the last seconds

Good question. Let's compare:
Per the final NCAA rankings UGA beat #10 Florida, #14 Kentucky, and #23 Missouri. They lost to #11 LSU and #1 Alabama (although they were the better team on the field Saturday)
On the other hand Oklahoma beat (but also lost to) #15 Texas and beat #24 Iowa St.
Clearly, UGA has the better resume.

Good question. Let's compare:
Per the final NCAA rankings UGA beat #10 Florida, #14 Kentucky, and #23 Missouri. They lost to #11 LSU and #1 Alabama (although they were the better team on the field Saturday)
On the other hand Oklahoma beat (but also lost to) #15 Texas and beat #24 Iowa St.
Clearly, UGA has the better resume.
I’m not talking about where they are ranked. I’m talking about whether you think those three schools you mentioned are really all of that. Didn’t say ok had a tough schedule just asked about the teams ga beat.

I’m not talking about where they are ranked. I’m talking about whether you think those three schools you mentioned are really all of that. Didn’t say ok had a tough schedule just asked about the teams ga beat.
Apparently the polls think so. If you go down the list of the teams they play vs the teams OK plays I think you'd have a very difficult time arguing that the OK plays are better than the teams UGA played.

Also, UGA has the #1 ranking in Strength of Schedule vs #16 by OK:
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Is your head hurt yet? I agree and furthermore Okla. would be at best a touchdown dog against Georgia
I dont want to ever hear some member of the playoff committee say they are looking for the 4 best teams

Well your prediction "year ago" hasn't come true and isnt "coming" anything soon.... the 4 team contract runs until 2026.
Here's hoping in 2026 they make the right decision, for reasons i've stated in previous post and stay at 4
So hunker down and get use to a 4 team playoff
Let off an "s". Sue me.

Let off an "s". Sue me.

my response has nothing to do with whether you meant year ago ... or years ago. that makes zero difference in my response. i didnt even notice....Sooooo i wont sue you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT