ADVERTISEMENT

How long will Ray let his friendship with Chad stand in the way

Unfortunately we're better than average. That's enough for some. We were elite, and while I can see an adjustment period, Chad has proven he is not an elite coach. Not every coach is elite. I'm not upset with the Chad hire, and I can see the idea that he is successful here. We're not a bad team. We're just not back to being elite, either. And having been there, fans want to stay there. But rarely does that happen when you change coaches, in ANY sport. I'm not mad that we've slid, because Chad isn't Ray. I would like to see some effort to get back to the elite status we had though. But I would like to point out Ray spent most of his career here being just better than average. We weren't some elite team for a long time, it hit pretty fast in 2008 and built to the championships and his retirement pretty quickly.

Well said. I've been a Chad supporter. Nothing is going to happen mid-season in terms of a coaching change, nor should it. I also understand why fans are upset. Last year was a very good year - getting to Super Regionals for 2nd time in four years. For that reason, Chad is back next year. If team doesn't make postseason this year, then yes, next year is definitely a pressure year to get back to postseason (but no AD worth his salt will ever put the onus of "Omaha or bust" on a coach.) I don't see all of the problems from this season being Chad's "fault." Yeah, he's the head coach and ulitmately will carry the blame (but won't get all the credit when a team wins). At some point, the players have to make plays - get a bunt down, get a hit with two outs etc. This is not a good offensive team and will go as far as the 3 weekend pitchers and Tyler Johnson can get them (not having Tyler Johnson due to injury is the reason SC lost 2 series this year). Hoping they can get on a run.
I get the fans got spoiled during the end of Tanner's career, but if you're going to fill the football stadium when the team stinks and suppor them, then use your tickets and fill up the baseball stadium and see if the fans can't make a difference. It certainly works in basketball. Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: Gamecock 38
Well said. I've been a Chad supporter. Nothing is going to happen mid-season in terms of a coaching change, nor should it. I also understand why fans are upset. Last year was a very good year - getting to Super Regionals for 2nd time in four years. For that reason, Chad is back next year. If team doesn't make postseason this year, then yes, next year is definitely a pressure year to get back to postseason (but no AD worth his salt will ever put the onus of "Omaha or bust" on a coach.) I don't see all of the problems from this season being Chad's "fault." Yeah, he's the head coach and ulitmately will carry the blame (but won't get all the credit when a team wins). At some point, the players have to make plays - get a bunt down, get a hit with two outs etc. This is not a good offensive team and will go as far as the 3 weekend pitchers and Tyler Johnson can get them (not having Tyler Johnson due to injury is the reason SC lost 2 series this year). Hoping they can get on a run.
I get the fans got spoiled during the end of Tanner's career, but if you're going to fill the football stadium when the team stinks and suppor them, then use your tickets and fill up the baseball stadium and see if the fans can't make a difference. It certainly works in basketball. Go Gamecocks!
Bertman and Radakovich. Two pretty darned good ADs did.

of saving a sinking ship?.....Carolina baseball is painful to watch nowadays....it used to be fun.
How they finish the year is critical. Got to win some more SEC games. Get to tournament and win at least a game and get to a Regional without going 0-2. Chad has alot of pressure right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT