ADVERTISEMENT

How many trees do you have.???

No idea. A lot less since the tornado came through back in February.

Anybody know what Tree of Heaven or "Heaven Tree" is? Highly invasive. From China (of course Laughing). I had three in our wooded area but the tornado took out one, I had the tree guy take out the other two while he was out here. I've been obsessed with finding all of the suckers popping up everywhere, up to 50-75 yards away from where the original trees were. I was amazed at how many tree-work people I spoke to that had never heard of it.

edit: to list the ones that I'm aware of: Longleaf Pine, magnolia, tulip tree, bunch of oaks (water, pin, something else), dogwoods, maple, i think some kind of poplar, japanese maple, crepe myrtle (one is like 40 feet tall so I'm counting it as a tree), weeping cherry, saucer magnolia, carolina cherry laurel, some sort of pears that pop up, variegated privet, camellia, hawthorne and we planted some japanese yews to replace some of the trees we lost and provide some privacy but they're tiny now.

Last edited:
Live oak, post oak, cedar elm, crepe myrtle, wax myrtle, lavender tree (vitex).

Reactions: december2209
Pine
Oak
Dogwood
Maple
Elm
Japanese Maple
Hickory
Redbud
Fig
Wild cherry
Cedar
Sweet Gum

Edited to add Sweet Gum. We’re on 5.4ac. I’m sure I’m forgetting/missing something still.

Last edited:
I have two wild cherries, one live oak, one sweet gum, one maple, one poplar, one cedar, four pecan, and one I can't remember.

I have far too many trees to count. I've had to have a number cut down over the years because a storm could have caused some to fall on the house.

I would love to have a pecan tree though. I wish I had planted one when we first moved into this particular house 26 1/2 years ago.

White oak, crape myrtle, ginko, elm, sweet gum( I cut down as many as I could afford)

That I know of, or can identify, I have pine, three really huge old oaks, sweet gum, pear, dogwood, cedar, eastern redbud, pecan, and a few others I can't name.

I feel you on the sweet gum. I've got three of them that I've just learned to live with.
Let me brag on my sweet gum . Yes. It's messy, but it saved my house in April when my neighborhood took a direct hit from a tornado. I heard it get hit when I was crouched in the hallway scared shitless. It lost a huge limb, but it stood. The tornado winds clocked at 140mph. I will never complain about it again.

Backyard-
1 Live Oak with a single 45 degree bent trunk resembling a giant bonzi tree.
1 Pindo palm tree

Front yard-
1 hot pink Crape Myrtle
1 Maple
2 Sabal Palmetto palm trees
1 Loquat tree

After having around 50 or so cut down, still too many to count. Dogwood, post oaks, birch, magnolia, poplar, apple, cherry, plum.

Pine, hickory, oak, dogwood, poplar, magnolia, Japanese maple and some I don’t know what they are. Too many to count.

Last edited:
1 oak
2 pine
3 fig
4 bartlet pear
5 pomegranate
6 cypress
7 dog wood
8 maple
9 pecan
10 wild cherry
Kumquat
4 Myers lemon
Variegated pink lemon
Limequat
Key lime
Mission olive
Bartlett pear
Peach (variety slips my mind)
Many, many blueberries-
Brown Turkey fig
Mission fig
Several varieties of oak
Sarah's favorite crepe myrtle
Natchez crape myrtle
Japanese red maple
Red twig dogwood
Several white dogwood
Several palm trees

Last edited:
4 oaks
3 scrub oaks
1 live southern oak
3 pines
1 fig
1 bartlet pear
1 Red maple
1 magnolia
13 crape myrtles trees
13 Wax Myrtles (as a privacy hedge)
15 leyland cypress trees (as a privacy hedge)

I love having bunch of trees for birds making their homes and do some bird watching..

Red Maple
Striped Maple
Paperbark Maple
Peach
White Oak
Sweetgum
Loblolly pine
Tulip Poplar

Pine
Oak
Dogwood
Maple
Elm
Japanese Maple
Hickory
Redbud
Fig
Wild cherry
Cedar
Sweet Gum

Edited to add Sweet Gum. We’re on 5.4ac. I’m sure I’m forgetting/missing something still.
After living on our acreage for 3-4 years - I cut down 9 Sweet Gums, split them with a log splitter and ended up burning all the split wood the next two years. There's still Sweet Gums on the acreage but those are not so close to the house. Never have missed those trees I cut down (they were just too close to my house) but still enjoy the others - they're beautiful hardwoods.

I think we have just about all those trees on your list, except the Japanese Maple and Fig. I hated to but had to cutup a Sugar Maple last week because it was damaged and had partially fallen. I cut it down to a point where young branches were - hoping it will make a comeback. I also have Sourwoods and Yellow Poplar (Tulip) trees that are not on your list.

It bothers me a lot where "rogue developers" cut down every single tree on their land in order to squeeze in every single housing unit.

I get a tax break from our acreage of timber.

Last edited:
I have a very small lot but it accommodates a big palmetto (one of my bad judgements), 2 lovely crepe myrtles, and what the guy who cuts my grass calls a "weeping myrtle". I think it is some kind of gum. My dogwood gave up its last 2 days ago. Has been going for about 3 years...sad to see.

After living on our acreage for 3-4 years - I cut down 9 Sweet Gums, split them with a log splitter and ended up burning all the split wood the next two years. There's still Sweet Gums on the acreage but those are not so close to the house. Never have missed those trees I cut down (they were just too close to my house) but still enjoy the others - they're beautiful hardwoods.

I think we have just about all those trees on your list, except the Japanese Maple and Fig. I hated to but had to cutup a Sugar Maple last week because it was damaged and had partially fallen. I cut it down to a point where young branches were - hoping it will make a comeback. I also have Sourwoods and Yellow Poplar (Tulip) trees that are not on your list.

It bothers me a lot where "rogue developers" cut down every single tree on their land in order to squeeze in every single housing unit.

I get a tax break from our acreage of timber.
Smart to cut down those sweet gums. They’re fairly soft and often don’t fair well in storms.
My figs are small yet - grown from cuttings from trees that my Dad had.
I have a couple of different Japanese Maple varieties. We have some beautiful, old ones at work. I’ve snagged seeds and seedlings over the years and grown them.

Yeah, I hate when a nice tree gets damaged or has to come down. Maples (as most hardwoods) seem to be real good at surviving after losing a top or other large part of the tree. They’ll usually put out new shoots from the base also to keep going/growing.

I am into Bonsai... Which means I have literally hundreds of trees of all types- dozens of varieties, too many to name! From Juniper to Maples and elms. I even have local varieties like Bald Cypress and Water Elm...

Last edited:
There is a tree I noticed the other day in a neighborhood we go for a walk sometimes. It is what we use to call a tree that grows Cigars". I haven't noticed one of those trees in over 50 years. There use to be one on my college campus. But I remember seeing one or two of them in a neighborhood I use to live in when I was a kid. We kids would pick the "Cigars" and smoke them as kids. The "Cigars" were hollow in the middle and one could actually smoke them. I don't know of anyone that actually smoked them except us kids.

Just wondering if any of you know the type of tree I'm talking about?

Last edited:
Many people are looking for tree service in San Diego. Find the service that is looking forward to helping you. Tree removal san Diego will have high-quality professionals willing and able to remove all branches and limbs from your tree regardless if they are diseased or threatening in any way. They should specialize in tree removal, including tree removal, tree trimming, pruning, and stump removal. Get in touch with them today to see if they can help you with any tree removal project in San Diego.

Last edited:
9 pine trees, 2 fig trees, 2 dogwoods, 1 oak and 1 hickory (or possibly a walnut tree)

I've taken down 3 pine trees because of beetles.

2 Bradford pear and a choke cherry on my quarter acre of suburbia. Wanted to replace the Bradford pears this year with the DNR program, but just didn’t have the time.

Dreaming of the day I can have enough land for the number of trees some of yall have

Just counting in the yard area where I cut grass

Front yard
5 water oaks
2 sweet gum (hate 'em and should cut them)

Back yard
2 water oaks
1 sweet gum

In the woods where I don't cut grass
oaks
pine
cedar
dogwood
plum
sweet gum

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts