ADVERTISEMENT

How much are these guys squatting?

This is an article about Marquette Smith who was a high school junior at the time and weighed 181 pounds. He was benching over 400 and before he graduated his squat was up to 740 pounds. He was the top offensive player in the US his senior year and went to Florida State...
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...252874_1_emmitt-smith-weight-room-lake-howell

one of our (USC) weight lifting coaches dan austin squatted 700.....he weighed 148!

he was actually my weight lifting coach in high school....

Then I guess it's a good thing the players are working to get stronger and not competing in an official weight lifting competition.
I think that partials do a disservice to the hips which is what the exercise is intended for. That one squat was done onto a high box. Not sure who told Dillman to spot squatters by holding their tits

Then I guess it's a good thing the players are working to get stronger and not competing in an official weight lifting competition.
The most clueless thing I have read on here. Their form will eventually kill their knees. This is ego lifting. We apparently hire crappy coaches in the SC department. And yes I squat, sometimes 3x a week. Squat is my favorite.

I think that partials do a disservice to the hips which is what the exercise is intended for. That one squat was done onto a high box. Not sure who told Dillman to spot squatters by holding their tits
Glad someone else realizes how bad this makes us look. I saw one maybe two that even hit the depth to require the hips. I cringed watching it. I honestly would fire him...today.

The most clueless thing I have read on here. Their form will eventually kill their knees. This is ego lifting. We apparently hire crappy coaches in the SC department. And yes I squat, sometimes 3x a week. Squat is my favorite.

I lift as well, so no, I'm not clueless.
You're right... Dillman is completely clueless and you know more than he does. Feel better? Doesn't it seem a little nitpicky to criticize the form after watching a hype video? It was a one time max lift, so it's not necessarily indicative of the form used for every lift for the entire offseason.

No, it doesn't seem nitpicky because that form is doing a disservice to their knees and ego lifting for a hype video is bs anyways. I'm just saying to call those squats is a disservice. Now Joyners 400+ was legit and kids in high school. Maybe he should coach em lol

Reactions: BigTomE
Are there videos of the squats? Or are you basing this off the pictures?
videos. No one who lifts would count Sawyers. The funny thing is that one of the strongest guys to ever live is less than 300 yards from our stadium. Combined lifts greater than 3,000 lbs.

videos. No one who lifts would count Sawyers. The funny thing is that one of the strongest guys to ever live is less than 300 yards from our stadium. Combined lifts greater than 3,000 lbs.

Got ya. I never saw the videos. I will admit that's pretty worrisome. I was a track/cross country runner in high school and our weightlifting coach would destroy me if I didn't hit parallel on squats... hard to imagine that not being enforced at an SEC football program.

Care to elaborate on the superhuman lifter in Columbia? 3000 lbs is just absurd. I can't even fathom how that is possible

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
A lot of those squats would never count. A quarter squat is death to the knees.

Glad someone else realizes how bad this makes us look. I saw one maybe two that even hit the depth to require the hips. I cringed watching it. I honestly would fire him...today.

No, it doesn't seem nitpicky because that form is doing a disservice to their knees and ego lifting for a hype video is bs anyways. I'm just saying to call those squats is a disservice. Now Joyners 400+ was legit and kids in high school. Maybe he should coach em lol

Donnie Thompson. Clemson graduate. His gym is right behind our stadium.

You must be real fun at parties.

And what part of this was a max lift day do you not understand? These pics/videos are NOT indicative of how the guys lift on a consistent basis.

Some of our "fans" truly amaze me sometimes with the lengths they will go to in order to bash, denigrate, downplay or otherwise be negative about players, coaches and/or administration they supposedly claim to support.

Well, I would say I am more concerned than anything. Knees are something you dont mess around with. In one of the videos one of our players knees almost goes straight in but hell what do I know. Maybe that's some of this cool stuff people do now. Might help ligaments and tendons.

You know that we had Donnie Thompson right down the street to at least do consulting. Look him up, he knows a thing or two. This may have been a rah rah session. Florida was happy they got rid of Dillman

You know that we had Donnie Thompson right down the street to at least do consulting. Look him up, he knows a thing or two. This may have been a rah rah session. Florida was happy they got rid of Dillman
Well, I heard some of our coaches visited his gym last year. Not sure what all it entailed though. He has some pretty cool stuff he is working on. I could have swore he graduated Clemson but I could be wrong (appears I am lol). I honestly haven't been a fan of any of our recent S&C coaches. I know for a fact several of our top players used to have their own training sessions 2010-2013.

I honestly had no clue his gym was behind our stadium until last year. It's small but it's a powerlifters place.

Last edited:
I've never heard a fan say after a solid tackle or sack that was fantastic but I hear he didn't go all the way down with his squats.

True. It doesn't make the player. Clowney is exhibit A. I hope we kick tail this year. Tired of teams in orange and those mangy mutts.

The comment about ego lifting for a hype video being Bs is painfully ignorant. They do this competition in the weight room to build team chemistry, so it isnt for some video, it isn't to judge their squat form, it is to get the players to work together and get excited about each other's success. Clearly, judging by the way they celebrated Sawyer's squat it worked.

This is an article about Marquette Smith who was a high school junior at the time and weighed 181 pounds. He was benching over 400 and before he graduated his squat was up to 740 pounds. He was the top offensive player in the US his senior year and went to Florida State...
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...252874_1_emmitt-smith-weight-room-lake-howell

No way he can squat 740. No way. The WORLD RECORD for his weight class is 617lbs. I'm pretty sure his bench number is made up also. Very few 180 lbs athletes on college football teams bench 300 much less 400.

You must be real fun at parties.

And what part of this was a max lift day do you not understand? These pics/videos are NOT indicative of how the guys lift on a consistent basis.

Some of our "fans" truly amaze me sometimes with the lengths they will go to in order to bash, denigrate, downplay or otherwise be negative about players, coaches and/or administration they supposedly claim to support.

You know so little. A max lift needs to be with BETTER form than lifts for reps. At your MAX you are much more susceptible to injury that at 50% of it. It is absolutely imperative to use perfect form on one rep max lifts.

No way he can squat 740. No way. The WORLD RECORD for his weight class is 617lbs. I'm pretty sure his bench number is made up also. Very few 180 lbs athletes on college football teams bench 300 much less 400.
I have seen one guy rep 405 @ 185lbs but he had a little help. If he would've eaten correctly he would've been 225lbs. I spotted him while he did 405 4x. But I agree most 180lb guys are lucky to hit 315 as a pr.

Glad someone else understands what I was saying about our form, etc.

Has anyone ever wondered the long term effects squatting hundreds of pounds will have on the vertebrae? Just think about all that stress that is imposed on your spine and muscles and tissues? When doing squats on a regular basis in your 20s, what adverse physical effects will be inflicted on your body once you are in your 40s and after? Somehow, I just don't feel the human body was created to put a couch or piano on your shoulders.

Has anyone ever wondered the long term effects squatting hundreds of pounds will have on the vertebrae? Just think about all that stress that is imposed on your spine and muscles and tissues? When doing squats on a regular basis in your 20s, what adverse physical effects will be inflicted on your body once you are in your 40s and after? Somehow, I just don't feel the human body was created to put a couch or piano on your shoulders.
I'm in my 40's. I suffer a little soreness but it goes away. "They" say heavy lifting, protein high diet, etc strengthens your bones. I have no clue but I can say, knock on wood, ive never broken a bone, despite numerous atv and motorcycle accidents.

Does this count as correct form for a max squat:

Looking forward to the opening game with you guys.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for you guys) his on field performance hasn't matched his athletic and strength numbers yet. He does hold the edge extremely well against the run, but he is limited in terms of pass rush moves.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for you guys) his on field performance hasn't matched his athletic and strength numbers yet. He does hold the edge extremely well against the run, but he is limited in terms of pass rush moves.
That's always the problem with getting too big in certain areas...you sacrifice mobility for size and strength.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT