ADVERTISEMENT

How recruiting works in 2021?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
I'll admit I'm a bit of an old fogey, but I'm not totally out of touch with technology. I'm not much on social media, other than FB which is really just a platform for pictures of my kiddos.

That said, I know the recruiting game has changed significantly, and that's part of what did Spurrier in. By his own admissions, he never adjusted well to the modern recruiting game...that it had become an all-consuming 365 day a year operation, that you needed to be in CONSTANT with kids you were recruiting AND that you had to give just as much attention to kids AFTER they had committed.

My personality is that I'd like to hear from someone maybe a couple times a month, just to reaffirm their interest so I'd know whether or not I should still be considering them, and once I committed, I wouldn't expect them to continue recruiting me. I'd want them putting their time into getting other recruits on board.

I guess I'm wondering what level of contact is necessary to show a kid these days that you're prioritizing them without contacting them so much that you're annoying? For me, even one text a day would get annoying before too long. Do you think coaches have to text every recruit daily? Multiple times a day? A few times a week? Once a week just to check in? I'm sure it's easy to get spooked knowing that "if I don't text today, Saban's staff might."

This doesn't even bring in the social media aspect.

Yes, recruiting has gotten painfully complex and time-consuming. I think it's a special formula. I think it's the average mean of their star ranking, multiplied by their 40-yard time, minus the school's final ranking at the end of the prior season. Then you add the player's vertical jump and divide that total by 2. Take the sum and, and divide by 7 (number of days in the week). The result is how many daily texts the position coach should send. The formula is a bit different for the HC and other assistants.

I'll admit I'm a bit of an old fogey, but I'm not totally out of touch with technology. I'm not much on social media, other than FB which is really just a platform for pictures of my kiddos.

That said, I know the recruiting game has changed significantly, and that's part of what did Spurrier in. By his own admissions, he never adjusted well to the modern recruiting game...that it had become an all-consuming 365 day a year operation, that you needed to be in CONSTANT with kids you were recruiting AND that you had to give just as much attention to kids AFTER they had committed.

My personality is that I'd like to hear from someone maybe a couple times a month, just to reaffirm their interest so I'd know whether or not I should still be considering them, and once I committed, I wouldn't expect them to continue recruiting me. I'd want them putting their time into getting other recruits on board.

I guess I'm wondering what level of contact is necessary to show a kid these days that you're prioritizing them without contacting them so much that you're annoying? For me, even one text a day would get annoying before too long. Do you think coaches have to text every recruit daily? Multiple times a day? A few times a week? Once a week just to check in? I'm sure it's easy to get spooked knowing that "if I don't text today, Saban's staff might."

This doesn't even bring in the social media aspect.
I have often thought that would be the world’s worst job, to have to constantly call kids you’re recruiting. Recruits speak of how often multiple coaches from a school have been in contact with them. I can’t imagine worst than having to do it. Good thing I am far, far from the danger of ever having to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT