ADVERTISEMENT

How to fix star players sitting out bowls

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
1) Allow December practice for all

2) EXPAND THE PLAYOFF

1) Not sure how that'll accomplish the stated goal?

2) Would love to see it, but not holding my breath. Things that make sense like this don't ever happen quickly. The powers that be love status quo.

Reactions: cornstock84
1) Not sure how that'll accomplish the stated goal?

2) Would love to see it, but not holding my breath. Things that make sense like this don't ever happen quickly. The powers that be love status quo.
1) The main stated goal of why there are so many bowls (which is a justification for the current 4-team playoff) is that it gives bowl teams extra practice.

2) I agree with you, but if the trend continues, it just provides extra fuel to the fire. Of course, the NCAA doesn't care about its unpaid players.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
The problem is the bowl system exists for one reason only ..$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It will never go away unfortunately. I think as long as Agents exist players are gonna skip bowl unless their teams are playing for titles . It’s a business . Kids aren’t playing for the love of the game anymore when they get to that Elite level . I will not be surprised in the future if can’t miss guys like Clowney and Fournette start skipping their final seasons . If Clowney leaves after his Sophmore season he’s still the #1 pick . Fournette probably lowered his draft stock his last year . Both those guys could have sat out , got paid and spent a year prepping for the draft . It’s unfortunate but it’s the way of Professional sports now . Big Money and Short shelf lives .

the NFL has the same trouble with playoff teams sitting stars in weeks 15 and 16 when playoff spots are wrapped up and there's nothing left to play for.

1) Allow December practice for all

2) EXPAND THE PLAYOFF
1) If your team is playing in a big bowl game the stars will play.
2) I don’t have a problem with this, it makes sense for the player. I just hope we get to a point to where we are playing in the CFP and we have enough quality depth that it won’t matter too much if someone decides not to play.
Next man up!

I’d say earlier bowls as well. Could’ve had a bowl this weekend rather than waiting until
Christmas and New Years Eve to play them. Play some of these smaller bowls 2-3 weeks after the season ends. Save larger bowls for the NY Eve / Day. I think it would be pretty cool to just have the National Championship game be a 5 pm game on New Years Day. Would be a sweet annual tradition in my home!

Doing something like this gets the bowl prep finished faster giving players more time to prep for draft. Biggest issue here would be exams / graduations.

Reactions: jbouton
It’s the threat of serious, career ending injuries. Since our bowl game is meaningless except to us, it will be a good opportunity for others to step up and shine. If we play as we have the last half of the season and Virginia plays as shitty as I have seen them on TV, we should kick their ass. Let’s not play down.

Reactions: Athenscock1
IMO, when you accept the scholarship, you accept the responsibilities that come with it. That includes classes, behavior, practice, workouts, team meetings, and games (including post season). If you choose not to meet your obligations in any of those areas, then you can lose the scholarship. If a player chose to skip practice so he wouldn't get injured before a game, most of us would have an issue with that and would support him being dismissed from the team or otherwise disciplined. In the case of someone choosing to skip a game, maybe they should have to reimburse the university for the full cost of that last year of their scholarship. At the very least, I'd be in favor of the university (any university) withdrawing any future support for that athlete, such as hosting a pro day. Sounds harsh, but at some point a commitment should be followed through.

Gotta make the post season part of the reg season. Maybe it's just me but I consider conference championships part of the reg season. We'd have to tie those games to the playoffs... a first round so to speak. That means expanding the playoffs to include all P5 champs coupled with either the highest ranked non-P5s or other at-larges.

Reactions: 1SGgamecock
I don't like it! I think it's punky and short sighted. But I respect their right to do it. I just hope they don't blow up a knee, a hammie or an Achilles while training for the combine. The worst injuries are not always contact injuries!

Reactions: jimnasium
Although I'm not crazy about this new trend, these players are doing what they feel is in their best interest for themself and their family. We all make decisions based on the same criteria, only difference is that it's not put out for all to see and comment on.

It’s the threat of serious, career ending injuries. Since our bowl game is meaningless except to us, it will be a good opportunity for others to step up and shine. If we play as we have the last half of the season and Virginia plays as shitty as I have seen them on TV, we should kick their ass. Let’s not play down.

The threat of injuries is a big part of it especially in Deebo’s case. But not all of it. If it were all about injuries I could’ve seen a guy like Deebo sitting out the Akron game. I think a lot has to do when the timing of the injury would occur. Not late November but in pretty much January. That’s a whole month later and less time to recover.

I think these guys sit out just as much for the high ankle sprains and hamstrings than the broken leg. If the leg breaks there is not much you can do. Even if the leg breaks in October or November. But the extra month of healing for the nagging injuries like a sprain or muscle injury could be the difference in 2nd round or 4th round. Especially in Deebo’s case.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Consider this:
How do you get to the next level? Recruiting top talent that is destined for the NFL.

What helps in recruiting that level of talent? Showing the recruits that you as thier coach will keep thier best interests in mind to help them achieve thier ultimate goal.

So to me, this is why you see Muschamp saying that he is there to "support the student athlete"...he knows ultimately there is greater benefit for the program in doing so.

That will work. Have to include more bowls as part of the playoff and add another round.

I don't mind a player like Deebo sitting out of our bowl game. I like the fact that it will develop another player for next years roster and will benefit the 2019 Gamecocks.

You chose not to play in the bowl then vacate the premises your contract is terminated. Get your agent to feed you the university held up its end of the bargain you left the team now you're own your own. The schools don't owe these guys squat just tell them it's in the best interest of the team.

You chose not to play in the bowl then vacate the premises your contract is terminated. Get your agent to feed you the university held up its end of the bargain you left the team now you're own your own. The schools don't owe these guys squat just tell them it's in the best interest of the team.
Substantial compliance.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I’d say earlier bowls as well. Could’ve had a bowl this weekend rather than waiting until
Christmas and New Years Eve to play them. Play some of these smaller bowls 2-3 weeks after the season ends. Save larger bowls for the NY Eve / Day. I think it would be pretty cool to just have the National Championship game be a 5 pm game on New Years Day. Would be a sweet annual tradition in my home!

Doing something like this gets the bowl prep finished faster giving players more time to prep for draft. Biggest issue here would be exams / graduations.
People won't be as prone to travel if they can't incorporate the bowls with the holidays, especially post- Christmas. I've been to three of them. When they were was a factor. It was like extending the holiday.

I think Deebo will be able to give alot of $$ back to his school with the size of the NFL contract he will sign. Plus he will expand our Gamecock brand just like Clowney, Jeffrey, and others.

I realize some of the other guys played in the bowl game the season they went pro but none of them had broken a leg in a college football game like Deebo. If another injury happend in the bowl game, he could not combine or be physically tested before his draft and his status would take a big hit. His great game against Clemson is the image he needs NFL general managers remembering to launch his draft status.

What should the school owe the players when student athletes do not have their scholarship renewed or are forced out?

Schools are guilty of not holding up their end of the bargain just as much. Especially in men’s basketball.

I think Deebo will be able to give alot of $$ back to his school with the size of the NFL contract he will sign. Plus he will expand our Gamecock brand just like Clowney, Jeffrey, and others.

I realize some of the other guys played in the bowl game the season they went pro but none of them had broken a leg in a college football game like Deebo. If another injury happend in the bowl game, he could not combine or be physically tested before his draft and his status would take a big hit. His great game against Clemson is the image he needs NFL general managers remembering to launch his draft status.
Give back to the school where does that fit into the equation? Players aren't thinking about the school when they bail on their obligations to play football they're thinking about themselves. If you're going to leave then leave.

Reactions: FJRTiger
What should the school owe the players when student athletes do not have their scholarship renewed or are forced out?

Schools are guilty of not holding up their end of the bargain just as much. Especially in men’s basketball.
And? If you are forced out then you leave your dorm and hit the bricks if you leave on your own the the same should apply. Either way the player has left the team and chosen not to take part in anymore football for the school or the fans. No university should be responsible for a player after they leave no matter whose choice it was. The OP was about elimination of the problem my idea would fix it or it would be a darn good start.

And? If you are forced out then you leave your dorm and hit the bricks if you leave on your own the the same should apply. Either way the player has left the team and chosen not to take part in anymore football for the school or the fans. No university should be responsible for a player after they leave no matter whose choice it was. The OP was about elimination of the problem my idea would fix it or it would be a darn good start.

You are free to your opinion as I am mine.

I doubt Deebo cares if you “pull his scholarship” at this point. He doesn’t need it. Quite frankly he should be able to come back for free and finish his degree later if he so chooses. He’s done a heck of a lot more than some random student from NJ who is getting their tuition free through scholarships.

This comes across as petty. It’s not like you can sign someone to play for the bowl game at this point. You’ll have the scholarship open for next football season.

You want these kids to have absolute loyalty to the university then say “so what” when schools do not show that same loyalty to student athletes. Yet you wonder why they leave.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT