ADVERTISEMENT

How To Recruit at USC For Us To Get In The Mix?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/a/cfb-preview-2017/blue-chip-ratio/amp

Clemson was the lowest ratio at 52% to win a championship but 3 of the CFP teams are in ratio this year, UGA, Bama and Clemson. Seeing as how our past classes aren’t great and right now we’re sitting at 4-4 star commits out of 18 comittswere another 4 years after this class from statistically being a contender. But it’s just statistics and math everybody can be a dreamer!
Thanks, there was a link that broke it down since 2000 I think, or last decade. But it was interesting in regards to stars and rankings.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
I don't know if you realize it but we are on the path you described. WM is on his second go around. He learned a ton the first time from his failures. Now he knows what it takes to build a program. Roper was all he could get when he came here and now he had to make a choice to keep him or take the next step. Question......If you were a potential OC candidate knowing you would have almost complete control over your unit and knowing that the other side of the ball was covered by two great defensive minds, why would you not come here ? The future is good.

Reactions: BOBO4
In the end, you need a program changing athlete at QB, RB or DE. In college football, those can change a program's trajectory. Let's hope that DJ becomes one of those type of players.

The CFP is in place to keep the status quo. Unfortunately we are not a part of that. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, now Georgia and a few others are the only teams they will consider unless they WIN their conference and still that committe has the power to keep them out of the playoffs. Got to win the conference/ forget about clemsonand once that happens then the young kids will hear about the gamecocks day and night on ESPN.

I don't think that your statement is accurate , "The CFP is in place to keep the status quo" , There may have been and inherent bias to AL , OSU, and the top SEC and Big10 schools in general, but your logic fails when you add Clemson and UGA in the list of "status quo.

Clemson in particular was certainly not part of the "status quo" . They earned their way into the playoffs all three times they have been included. UGA also was not part of the "sttatus quo". heck their performance this season was a surprise to many if not most of the experts.

I believe , if they would take the CFB to 8 with all power 5 champions, and three at large teams it would be as close to perfect a system as we will get. Let the committee select the other 3, and let the committee seed all 8,

Saying Clemson and UGA are there because they are "status quo" is not an accurate statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOBO4
You clarified the point I was attempting to make. Clemson over the past few years got included with the SEC status quo based on their high level of play, but before that Clemson would have needed to win the ACC to be considered if the CFP had been in place let’s say 8 years ago. Now imo if clemson had been undefeated until the ACCCG and lost by 3 to Miami, they still would have gone to this year CFP over Bama. So as much as I hate to admit it clemson has broken the stranglehold that the SEC use to have on championship selection. That doesn’t resolve the problem for ALL teams just Clemson. I agree 8 teams in a playoff is best! Thanks for the good conversation.

Reactions: EssoClub2
We need better PR. Hire outside if we have to. Right now Clemson is winning but they have become fashionable to be a fan of. If PR can make an old bitter lady, and run her as the leader of the free world we can put some shine on our program. People, especially kids are easily swayed. I always thought we disregarded this.

We need better PR. Hire outside if we have to. Right now Clemson is winning but they have become fashionable to be a fan of. If PR can make an old bitter lady, and run her as the leader of the free world we can put some shine on our program. People, especially kids are easily swayed. I always thought we disregarded this.

Here is a piece of an article where one of the 4?stars from IMG directly asked Venerables about him taking another job,

Last week, there were multiple reports that Arkansas had interest with Venables in their recent head coaching search (Chad Morris now hired).

Venables was brutally and refreshingly honest about his future to Jones Jr. and his family.

"He (Venables) knows a lot of coaches who are in other programs that had jobs and how everything seems good with people saying the money is better and stuff like that," Jones Jr. said to TigerNet on Friday. "But he says he loves what he does. He loves not having to worry about all the extra stuff with trying to be a head coach. He basically gave us his word that he is not going to leave. He loves Clemson. His kids love it. He loves the area. He knows when he goes home (back to Clemson from Florida) he is going back to the same coaching staff. He just loves not having those type of worries."

As a Clemson fan, the thing that worried me the most with you guys getting Muschamp was the relationships I thought he would have in FL...I've been surprised you guys don't have more recruits from there.
FL recruiting is about to get really interesting. With UF, FSU and recent success of UCF, there will be even more options for those FL kids. New relationships and recruiting pitches.

Of course there is an abundance of talent down there but competition is getting stiff.

Been saying for years that South Carolina should try to be the Oregon of the SEC. Auburn sorta does that with their up-tempo style of play, but they are still viewed as more of a traditional team. I think USC could more easily claim that image by going all-in with the up-tempo, no huddle offense, plus the trendy uniforms, mirrored helmets and everything. The Gamecocks need to differentiate themselves from all the traditional bluebloods in the league and be very intentional about being different and trendy. Certain elements are already in place like the totally unique Gamecock mascot, the unique structure of the stadium, newer traditions like Sandstorm, etc. Partner with Under Armor to do exactly what Nike does with Oregon's uniforms. And complete the whole thing by hiring a coach to run 90 plays per game and light up the scoreboard. Do that and suddenly USC becomes cool.

When other programs have built-in advantages with recruiting turf and winning history, you need to be the opposite and find a way to be different, trendy, cool. The formula is there. Both Oregon and Baylor used it to overcome their historical disadvantages, yet no team in the entire Eastern half of the country has replicated it. There are a few that do the uniform thing, but no one that combines it with that style of play.

I agree, but we have the wrong head coach for this to work. No way he accepts it.

I don't think that your statement is accurate , "The CFP is in place to keep the status quo" , There may have been and inherent bias to AL , OSU, and the top SEC and Big10 schools in general, but your logic fails when you add Clemson and UGA in the list of "status quo.

Clemson in particular was certainly not part of the "status quo" . They earned their way into the playoffs all three times they have been included. UGA also was not part of the "sttatus quo". heck their performance this season was a surprise to many if not most of the experts.

I believe , if they would take the CFB to 8 with all power 5 champions, and three at large teams it would be as close to perfect a system as we will get. Let the committee select the other 3, and let the committee seed all 8,

Saying Clemson and UGA are there because they are "status quo" is not an accurate statement.

8 would be good, but that adds another game to the already long season for these kids. I know D2 does it, but I’m not sure that’s good for anyone’s body especially while they are still growing. If the powers that be could somehow deal with the 12th game issue on every team’s schedule, perhaps expanding the playoff could work.

Here is a piece of an article where one of the 4?stars from IMG directly asked Venerables about him taking another job,

Last week, there were multiple reports that Arkansas had interest with Venables in their recent head coaching search (Chad Morris now hired).

Venables was brutally and refreshingly honest about his future to Jones Jr. and his family.

"He (Venables) knows a lot of coaches who are in other programs that had jobs and how everything seems good with people saying the money is better and stuff like that," Jones Jr. said to TigerNet on Friday. "But he says he loves what he does. He loves not having to worry about all the extra stuff with trying to be a head coach. He basically gave us his word that he is not going to leave. He loves Clemson. His kids love it. He loves the area. He knows when he goes home (back to Clemson from Florida) he is going back to the same coaching staff. He just loves not having those type of worries."

What I've said all along. The man ain't got the balls to be a Head Coach, and you can see it in his eyes. I don't think he'll EVER make the flip to an HC position. He's just a good ole Midwest kinda guy who lacks the 'poosh' to move up to a higher job level. It is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT