ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll guarantee you this much on Bobo

We do not know what his best seasons are yet. No reason to look back and talk about those things until the end of someone’s tenure. Things have been up and down for sure but you do not have the sample size available yet to make the determinations you are alluding to.
Please. We know what his best year here was. It's right there in the record books for all to see.

Sorry, but eight years of the same ol', same ol' is plenty of time to make a determination. If you disagree, then how long do you think he should get? Six years here? Eight? How many?

I think that's a semantics argument. You say better fundamentals, huddle up and bring back the full back as a lead blocker.

I say that means "old school" offense that Muschamp has always favored.

I also dont like no huddle when the offense is sputtering. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense. But I think it's wrong to say no huddle is not an every down sitauation when a lot of the best teams in the country do it full time.
Most don’t do it every down though, and they are the best teams... Fundamentals are not their concern. They bring in players and teach them fundamentals on the practice squad for 2-3 years before they have to play them most of the time. We have a much larger percentage of young guys out there than the best teams. We are still trying to teach our guys where to stand and what routes to run.. The faster we ask them to go and the less direction we give them, the more mistakes they will make.

Please. We know what his best year here was. It's right there in the record books for all to see.

Sorry, but eight years of the same ol', same ol' is plenty of time to make a determination. If you disagree, then how long do you think he should get? Six years here? Eight? How many?
Well he hasn't had eight years here. He has had 4. How many years he should get is a product of what he does going forward, impossible to answer right now. If we have a decent season this year and win 8-10 the following season, it will completely reset the clock for him. If we struggle again this season and the following year, he will be gone. There is no chance we fire him after this season baring something completely crazy.

Reactions: garnet_reign
So he took over a program that was in bad shape with not a lot of talent and had better results than he has with the better talent he brought in. Even if you want to blame that on the assistants and not the head guy he’s still the one that hired them. If a HC has had almost as many OCs as years as a HC the problem is no longer the OCs.
Read what I said. He’s fallen short on hiring assistants

Then why did he have his best season with Spurrier's upperclassmen? The longer he's been here, the worse things have gotten.

And why is none of this "his doing?" The exact same things happened with him at Florida.
Bentley was better as a freshman than afterwards. Also the schedule was harder after the first year. Also not as many injuries

I think that's a semantics argument. You say better fundamentals, huddle up and bring back the full back as a lead blocker.

I say that means "old school" offense that Muschamp has always favored.

I also dont like no huddle when the offense is sputtering. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense. But I think it's wrong to say no huddle is not an every down sitauation when a lot of the best teams in the country do it full time.
If you notice, no huddle has evolved into taking more time on third down. Was go go go every down at first

Bobo could have gone to a dozen programs as OC. He chose USC because CWM gave him total autonomy because he finally realized the O is his achilles heel.

I am unsure if Bobo had many choices. Where are you getting this information From? Tell us. Was there any other School that showed an interest in Bobo? Don’t say UGA. I know three was zero Interest. Smart wanted a wide open offense, more like Clemson less like Bama.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
i don't recall Bobo ever having an exciting or prolific offense. I think the Georgia fans were glad to get rid of him if I recall correctly. I haven't been excited about this hire since I first heard it.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Bobo could have gone to a dozen programs as OC. He chose USC because CWM gave him total autonomy because he finally realized the O is his achilles heel.

Muschamp finally realized it? Or the big cigars that run the school realized it and told him it was the best way to save his job? Or his agent did? I am skeptical that this was all his idea.

i don't recall Bobo ever having an exciting or prolific offense. I think the Georgia fans were glad to get rid of him if I recall correctly.

Let's assume that is true. Bobo is only slightly above mediocre. It is still a huge improvement, as it is far better than even a good OC who has Muschamp interfering. Muschamp is like Kryptonite to offensives. Even a barely average guy will be a huge improvement if truly left alone by Muschamp.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Let's assume that is true. Bobo is only slightly above mediocre. It is still a huge improvement, as it is far better than even a good OC who has Muschamp interfering. Muschamp is like Kryptonite to offensives. Even a barely average guy will be a huge improvement if truly left alone by Muschamp.
How can you say this? You don't know what his involvement is in the offense. You aren't in the meetings, nor are you at practice. Everyone saying this is just making assumptions. It is the only conceivable reason in their minds that could exist for our lack of success.

Read what I said. He’s fallen short on hiring assistants
Yes and everything was a but you can’t blame the HC. Players not developing, players not panning out, rampant injuries everywhere he’s been. At some point all of it is on the HC. If the same guy repeats the same pattern at multiple places it’s not the guys he’s surrounding himself with.

Well he hasn't had eight years here. He has had 4. How many years he should get is a product of what he does going forward, impossible to answer right now. If we have a decent season this year and win 8-10 the following season, it will completely reset the clock for him. If we struggle again this season and the following year, he will be gone. There is no chance we fire him after this season baring something completely crazy.
Fair enough. But I still maintain that his tenure at Florida is very relevant when it comes to his overall job performance.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Dizzy01
Bentley was better as a freshman than afterwards. Also the schedule was harder after the first year. Also not as many injuries
Not sure what exactly what you're arguing. But Bentley not getting any better screams out lack of coaching and development.

The 2018 schedule was actually a much easier schedule compared to others. Some even picked us as a dark horse candidate to win the East that year. And Muschamp could only scrape up 7 wins while getting shut out the last six quarters of the season. Against the mighty Akron and Virginia.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I will guarantee you this much, this offense will be a dumpster fire. This will be like Holtz’s first years offense. We have zero weapons. Nobody scares you on this team.

How can you say this? You don't know what his involvement is in the offense. You aren't in the meetings, nor are you at practice. Everyone saying this is just making assumptions. It is the only conceivable reason in their minds that could exist for our lack of success.

I watched him for all his time at Texas and knew many in the program, players and coaches. Even as head coach in waiting he evidently had this behavior (interference with offense even though a defensive coach). I talked to people at Florida who were in the program and fans there. They said the same thing even without me suggesting it. IMHO, It is his Achilles Heel as a coach. Understand that I like Coach Boom personally. The players love him and he is a very good defensive coach. If he fails at South Carolina, many teams will grab him as a DC. His best chance of success as a HC is to hire a good OC and be hands off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gradstudent
So in 8 years as a HC with 5 OCs, we're supposed to believe that him always having a pathetic offense is just coincidence?

Most don’t do it every down though, and they are the best teams... Fundamentals are not their concern. They bring in players and teach them fundamentals on the practice squad for 2-3 years before they have to play them most of the time. We have a much larger percentage of young guys out there than the best teams. We are still trying to teach our guys where to stand and what routes to run.. The faster we ask them to go and the less direction we give them, the more mistakes they will make.
Exactly. Reality is, you run what you can execute with the personnel we have. We have too many young players to run an up-tempo offense all the time.

I will guarantee you this much, this offense will be a dumpster fire. This will be like Holtz’s first years offense. We have zero weapons. Nobody scares you on this team.

Holtz's first team had no offense line, thus no offense and injuries to QB1 Phil Petty and no back up qb.

Derek Watson was a weapon, always a threat to go the house on a long run, Brian Scott could play as well

Last year I thought the no huddle hurt us, our offense could not form drives or string a couple first downs together, and would go 3 and out very quickly and punt the ball back and put a gassed defense back on the field.

11th in yards per game and 12 in pts per game in the SEC conference, and yes we played with a true freshman backup QB all but 1 game, which hurt, but again another reason the hurry up can backfire

Also seems like so many teams run it, teams are more prepared, Bobo's offense with the potential implementation of a full back at least sounds like a wrinkle.

So in 8 years as a HC with 5 OCs, we're supposed to believe that him always having a pathetic offense is just coincidence?
If that were true... but we averaged over 30 points a game year before last. That is hardly pathetic. It fell apart in the bowl game that year, but most of the season our offense was humming along just fine... I am not going to go deep into Florida stats to further refute, just saying I think you are being obtusely negative and making assumptions that are not necessarily true. The past is not always an indicator of the future... Whether we want it or not, these are coaches we have right now and he is clearly trying to make changes to get better. May be time to stop whining about a bad season and act like you care about this team.

He's going to get 2 more years. There is no doubt about that. What worries me is that CWM will have marginal seasons this year and next, and people will be saying give him an extension because he improved from 2019. If that happens we will be mired in mediocrity for a generation. That's what a 4 win season will do for a school like SC.

Reactions: Lurker123
If that were true... but we averaged over 30 points a game year before last. That is hardly pathetic. It fell apart in the bowl game that year, but most of the season our offense was humming along just fine... I am not going to go deep into Florida stats to further refute, just saying I think you are being obtusely negative and making assumptions that are not necessarily true. The past is not always an indicator of the future... Whether we want it or not, these are coaches we have right now and he is clearly trying to make changes to get better. May be time to stop whining about a bad season and act like you care about this team.
That was good enough to be ranked 57 in scoring offense, his highest here. His lowest was 116. At Florida, his highest was 56 with a low of 114. His average ranking in scoring offense here is 94, while at Florida was 80. Overall, his average is 87. That's pathetic by pretty much any standard. Against SEC opponents and Clemson, it goes even lower.

If we judge someone's past performance as a reason to hire them, then it can absolutely be used to predict future performance.

Reactions: ddw1263
So if he has bad offenses there can only be one explanation - he interferes??? How about he hires bad OCs? Just like Bobo, who basically got run off from UGA.

I watched him for all his time at Texas and knew many in the program, players and coaches. Even as head coach in waiting he evidently had this behavior (interference with offense even though a defensive coach). I talked to people at Florida who were in the program and fans there. They said the same thing even without me suggesting it. IMHO, It is his Achilles Heel as a coach. Understand that I like Coach Boom personally. The players love him and he is a very good defensive coach. If he fails at South Carolina, many teams will grab him as a DC. His best chance of success as a HC is to hire a good OC and be hands off.
Oh, so you watch him? Well, I watch him too, but I cannot tell he is interfering with the offense from watching him. The only way to know that is to be involved with the program. So far I have heard no former OC complain that the reason they failed was from Muschamp interfering. But you know this from watching that which cannot be watched, and from the rumor mill. Very convincing.

The Bobo Hiring showed Muschamp isn't willing to get out of his comfort zone. After the news of us going back to a huddle reassures this. Shorten the game, playing ball control has Muschamp written all over it.

I think doing the same thing every other team is doing (tempo) is a sign of lack of identity and creativity. Also, if you don't have the personnel, it's suicide. It's "hurry up and get your offense off , and defense on, the field". I'd rather have coaches who are innovating their own ideas that work for our team rather than trying to mimic what others are doing because "hey it looks like a great idea".

I don't care if they huddle or not, I just want to see plays that work and executed to perfection. Ultimately, that's the key to winning.

Oh, so you watch him? Well, I watch him too, but I cannot tell he is interfering with the offense from watching him. The only way to know that is to be involved with the program. So far I have heard no former OC complain that the reason they failed was from Muschamp interfering. But you know this from watching that which cannot be watched, and from the rumor mill. Very convincing.

Think what you want, the offensive assistant coaches who coached while he was there at Texas weren't shy to talk about it after he left.

Reactions: Gradstudent
So if he has bad offenses there can only be one explanation - he interferes??? How about he hires bad OCs? Just like Bobo, who basically got run off from UGA.

So Charlie Weis who was OC on three of New England's Super Bowl wins, was OC of the KC Chiefs (taking a previous record of 4–12 and taking them to 10–6 and having the best NFL rushing attack) and OC of the NY Jets where he turned Rodney Hampton into a pro bowler, is a bad OC? Come on. There has to be another explanation.

So Charlie Weis who was OC on three of New England's Super Bowl wins, was OC of the KC Chiefs (taking a previous record of 4–12 and taking them to 10–6 and having the best NFL rushing attack) and OC of the NY Jets where he turned Rodney Hampton into a pro bowler, is a bad OC? Come on. There has to be another explanation.
NFL and college are two different things. He could be a bad college OC but an excellent NFL OC.

I think doing the same thing every other team is doing (tempo) is a sign of lack of identity and creativity. Also, if you don't have the personnel, it's suicide. It's "hurry up and get your offense off , and defense on, the field". I'd rather have coaches who are innovating their own ideas that work for our team rather than trying to mimic what others are doing because "hey it looks like a great idea".

I don't care if they huddle or not, I just want to see plays that work and executed to perfection. Ultimately, that's the key to winning.
In the year 2020 kids want to play in a up tempo offense. The key to winning is recruiting. You don't carry a jackass to the Kentucky derby.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT