ADVERTISEMENT

I cannot believe this has not been mentioned! uncarolina is in a hearing NOW with

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
the NCAA. The hearing started yesterday and continued at least through today, I don't know if it will go beyond today or not.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what information comes out of the hearing.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/

Below is another link I found. The hearing has concluded but it will be months before a decision is handed down or even longer if UNC appeals the decision.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....-unc-now-awaits-ncaa-ruling-in-academic-case/

Last edited:
Reactions: Gradstudent
Listen to the video, UNC is DARING the NCAA to do anything about the so-called academic improprieties.

the NCAA. The hearing started yesterday and continued at least through today, I don't know if it will go beyond today or not.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what information comes out of the hearing.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/

Below is another link I found. The hearing has concluded but it will be months before a decision is handed down or even longer if UNC appeals the decision.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....-unc-now-awaits-ncaa-ruling-in-academic-case/
The NCAA sure takes a LONG Time to count that Hush Money! Must have been in Small Bills.

I was frustrated and had given up on this, i did not know NC State fans broke this per sports illustrated, hey guys lets do the same to Clemson!

tumblr_inline_osbvks6DEO1t4a2j2_540.gif

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...andal-ncaa-investigation-infractions-hearings

UNC is facing five top–level charges for allegedly administering irregular courses that allowed students to get high grades in bogus classes. The hearing will determine what penalties and sanctions the university may face.

The NCAA has alleged that UNC used a fake African Studies course to help keep at-risk student-athletes academically eligible for the football and basketball seasons. Athletes in other sports have also been tied to the African Studies courses. This academic scandal spanned more than two decades and allegedly involved 3,100 students. It is estimated that 47 percent of those students were athletes, with 50 percent of those athletes being football players, 12 percent men's basketball players, 6 percent women's basketball players and the rest spread across other sports.

Deborah Crowder, a clerical employee in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, allegedly registered students in these courses and would distribute grades that would help the athletes meet minimum GPA requirements. The "paper classes" never met and only required students to turn in a final paper. Crowder left the university in 2009 but former department chairman Julius Nyang'oro continued the "shadow curriculum."

The fake classes were discovered by rival N.C. State fans who noted a former football player's paper for a Swahili Class was plagiarized. Nyang'oro was his professor for the class.

The university started looking into the matter when an incoming freshman received a high grade in an upper-level class, as reported by the News & Observer.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The NCAA sure takes a LONG Time to count that Hush Money! Must have been in Small Bills.

Don't think this has anything to do with hush money or the NCAA trying to protect UNC. UNC is challenging the NCAA's authority on this specific case. I don't see them winning though, which will mean some heavy penalties.

Reactions: rogue cock
The optimum result in this case would be two or three years of scholarship reductions, vacating titles in any years these classes were going on, two or three years of no postseason. They will not get the death penalty.

This is the most likely scenario.
The death penalty will never happen again (it would require a thesis to explain all the reasons why)

Reactions: king ward
Listen to the video, UNC is DARING the NCAA to do anything about the so-called academic improprieties.

everyone knows the NCAA will punk out with the proverbial slap on the wrist...then all hell will break loose on behalf of all the schools they lowered the boom on for much less

The optimum result in this case would be two or three years of scholarship reductions, vacating titles in any years these classes were going on, two or three years of no postseason. They will not get the death penalty.

I agree with you they will not get the death penalty. But, why shouldn't they get the death penalty?

Last edited:
I'd be fine with it, but after the destruction of SMU, they won't do it again. Penn State was about as severe as it's ever going to get in the future. Those were crippling sanctions.

I agree if Penn State didn't get the death penalty then no one will ever get it again.

Reactions: king ward
Widespread academic fraud taking place over 3 decades?

We're looking at you NCAA. We're all looking at you.
I think they are going to get nailed. They reportedly hid things from the NCAA during the initial investigation and the NCAA found out. They are no more a sacred cow than TOSU was and the NCAA hit them pretty hard for IMO much lesser violations.

Wow. Great find. Good read. Sickening that a University that prides itself on academics finds itself in a position having to defend itself against such blatant academic fraud. Glad the N&O reporters hung on like pit bulls in exposing the holier than thou blue bellies. That sky is not quite as blue as they think these days Thanks for the link, op.

I think they are going to get nailed. They reportedly hid things from the NCAA during the initial investigation and the NCAA found out. They are no more a sacred cow than TOSU was and the NCAA hit them pretty hard for IMO much lesser violations.
i disagree... guarantee you it will be a slap on the wrist...i'll bet right now they are negotiating a ruling that will not devolve into the nasty law suit neither side wants

i disagree... guarantee you it will be a slap on the wrist...i'll bet right now they are negotiating a ruling that will not devolve into the nasty law suit neither side wants
You may be right, but this one would be a lay up for them. Academic fraud has already been proven as the loss of accreditation for a year has proven. And they hid or failed to disclose information on violations during the initial investigation. This is too easy for them not to hot UNC with pretty heavy sanctions.

Where is the ACC in all of this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference
The members of the ACC also participate in the Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Consortium (ACCAC), a consortium that provides a vehicle for inter-institutional academic and administrative collaboration between member universities. Growing out of a conference-wide doctoral student-exchange program that was established in 1999, the ACCAC has expanded its scope into other domestic and international collaborations

They way UNC is handling this, with their go F yourself, we are UNC so we can do whatever we want and you cannot touch us...is reason why USC got out of the ACC so many years ago.

And ironically, it was because UNC and Duke were trying to keep us from landing a player because of academic requirements issues. If UNC gets off light on this, then there should be a full on revolt by all other schools against the NCAA.

I predict the UNC Women's Lacrosse team will get the hammer. On second thought, I predict the loss of 1 scholarship for the women's softball team, one for the women's basketball team, one for women's volleyball, and probation for the football and basketball teams.

Reactions: mbsurfside
I don't know where you live but if you live in NC and are a USC fan you will hate them 10 times more than a USC fan that does not live in NC.

The same analogy applies to those of us who live in the upstate when it comes to Clemson. My wife's family are all Clemson fans. She is a Gamecock ... by marriage. It was one of my non-negotiable requirements to be married. She is loyal, but doesn't understand the disdaine I feel towards Clempson. None of them do. In their defense, they don't have a way to understand because none of them ever attended Clemson.

Reactions: Eighty6pack
I'd be fine with it, but after the destruction of SMU, they won't do it again. Penn State was about as severe as it's ever going to get in the future. Those were crippling sanctions.

PSU seems to have done just fine after all the "penalties/sanctions". Remember when what the NCAA handed own was supposedly worse than the death penalty? What a crock of you know what that was. Most of the punishment got litigated and negotiated down. UNC will get nothing more than the wrist slap ... unless ... the NCAA doesn't want to fold their tent and dissolve completely. If they don't severely punish UNC, they will in effect castrate themselves, and the serial power cheaters will ratchet their recruiting tactics up several more notches.

They should be punish extra hard just for delaying the shit for so long. Its the end of the NCAA as we know it if nothing comes of it

PSU seems to have done just fine after all the "penalties/sanctions". Remember when what the NCAA handed own was supposedly worse than the death penalty? What a crock of you know what that was. Most of the punishment got litigated and negotiated down. UNC will get nothing more than the wrist slap ... unless ... the NCAA doesn't want to fold their tent and dissolve completely. If they don't severely punish UNC, they will in effect castrate themselves, and the serial power cheaters will ratchet their recruiting tactics up several more notches.
Penn State did fine - but only after several tough years - because they brought in a good caretaker coach, have a great legacy and were fortunate enough to get James Franklin after the dust settled a little. Not everyone could have recovered as well. Their recoverability doesn't mean their sanctions were anything other than rough, however.

Reactions: surfincock
The same analogy applies to those of us who live in the upstate when it comes to Clemson. My wife's family are all Clemson fans. She is a Gamecock ... by marriage. It was one of my non-negotiable requirements to be married. She is loyal, but doesn't understand the disdaine I feel towards Clempson. None of them do. In their defense, they don't have a way to understand because none of them ever attended Clemson.
Wallycock, looking back on it now, and knowing what your wife means to you, would you still have dumped her then if she hadn't agreed to your "non-negotiable condition"?

Wallycock, looking back on it now, and knowing what your wife means to you, would you still have dumped her then if she hadn't agreed to your "non-negotiable condition"?

It was always a deal breaker for me. Lucky for me, she had already rejected the indoctrination her family tried to put her through. Her immediate family wasn't so bad as her aunt, uncle, and cousins were. Both her aunt and uncle worked for the university. Her uncle worked in the athletic dept., knew all the coaches & their families, etc. They even set her up with one of the assistant coaches at the time who was also single, but she never drank the cool aid, and all of that happened before she even knew me. She wasn't a Gamecock fan either. She was ambivalent towards USC, but she had rejected the Clemson hoopla even though the rest of her family embraced it.

I have friends (male and female) from USC that married Clemson graduates, and it works for them, but it would take an incredible woman for me to be married to any Clemson fan.

Penn State did fine - but only after several tough years - because they brought in a good caretaker coach, have a great legacy and were fortunate enough to get James Franklin after the dust settled a little. Not everyone could have recovered as well. Their recoverability doesn't mean their sanctions were anything other than rough, however.

Some people think the PSU deal was a cover up. It was set quick and harsh to stop the reporting on the actual scandal. Many think there was more to it that never came out.

Some people think the PSU deal was a cover up. It was set quick and harsh to stop the reporting on the actual scandal. Many think there was more to it that never came out.
Conspiracy theorists always abound when people want a result other than what came down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT