ADVERTISEMENT

I could understand it if Coach Martin came back next year.

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
FTR I am pro NEW COACH. I think it's stale on both ends and Coach Martin needs a change and we desperately need a change.
That said I could see him being
our coach next year.
1)The easiest thing to do is nothing. The national media LOVES Frank and constantly make excuses for him. They will praise Tanner to the hilt if he keeps Martin. Local media obviously too.
2)We will save paying the buyout money.
3)Who are we going to get to do better? Everyone not a Carolina person thinks Frank loses because of us, not him.
4)Does anyone actually believe Ray Tanner is qualified to hire an SEC Basketball coach?

Reactions: Stewart.H
FTR I am pro NEW COACH. I think it's stale on both ends and Coach Martin needs a change and we desperately need a change.
That said I could see him being
our coach next year.
1)The easiest thing to do is nothing. The national media LOVES Frank and constantly make excuses for him. They will praise Tanner to the hilt if he keeps Martin. Local media obviously too.
2)We will save paying the buyout money.
3)Who are we going to get to do better? Everyone not a Carolina person thinks Frank loses because of us, not him.
4)Does anyone actually believe Ray Tanner is qualified to hire an SEC Basketball coach?
If we don’t make the NIT, I’m fine with a clean break. If we do make the NIT, I’ll reserve judgement until the end. If we make a run to NYC, it could be a spring board to the tournament.

GG signing day will be huge. Get him and there is hope. Don’t get him and I’m still fine with a new coach.

I do hope we get on a big NIT run. Those are fun.
Carolina Basketball is stale. Unfortunately (IMO) there does not seem to be a big appetite to change. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I think a change is needed.

I won't be surprised if Frank returns - mainly because of the local kid that is considering us (but is not coming here). If Frank is gone, there is no chance in the world he comes.

The issue as I see it as I think Ray is going to have a tough time finding a candidate that is seen as an upgrade to Frank.

I think there are many coaches who could be as mediocre as Frank. Not sure why there would be any hesitation about going in another direction. Should have happened two years ago. But then again, they may let him hang around. I am about convinced that USC is not a bit serious about winning at a high level at any level. They just like to cash those big SEC checks

Last edited:
1)The easiest thing to do is nothing. The national media LOVES Frank and constantly make excuses for him.
Do you have any current links from a national media source (i.e ESPN, USA Today etc) to support this claim.

I would caution against thinking anything will happen anytime soon.

I would also caution against thinking a change will be made.

Reactions: PC31
I think a change is needed.

I won't be surprised if Frank returns - mainly because of the local kid that is considering us (but is not coming here). If Frank is gone, there is no chance in the world he comes.

The issue as I see it as I think Ray is going to have a tough time finding a candidate that is seen as an upgrade to Frank.
I am picking up from rival message boards that Jackson is considering re-classifying to 2022. I am, also, hearing the potential to re-class makes us more of a player. However, G-League Ignite is, also, a major consideration as well. Not sure I like the re-class idea. This has been tried with mixed results before. Emoni Bates re-classed last year and has been ineffective. The kid wasn't physically strong enough and just was not ready skill-wise.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I am picking up from rival message boards that Jackson is considering re-classifying to 2022. I am, also, hearing the potential to re-class makes us more of a player. However, G-League Ignite is, also, a major consideration as well. Not sure I like the re-class idea. This has been tried with mixed results before. Emoni Bates re-classed last year and has been ineffective. The kid wasn't physically strong enough and just was not ready skill-wise.

I know this has nothing to do with re-classifying but I thought Frank handled Dozier great. He was high profile, and I believe Frank handled him a bit different. I rarely ever saw Frank yelling at him in a game and I thought he knew he had to handle him a bit different- and it worked out great.

I believe Martin is done, unless we can't financially afford to let him go. Our next door neighbor (UGA) fired their coach after only 4 years. We will soon find out if USC is serious about men's basketball.

If we don’t make the NIT, I’m fine with a clean break. If we do make the NIT, I’ll reserve judgement until the end. If we make a run to NYC, it could be a spring board to the tournament.

GG signing day will be huge. Get him and there is hope. Don’t get him and I’m still fine with a new coach.
I can not, at this time, find us on any NIT projection of the 32 teams expected to go. I do not think the NIT is a foregone conclusion.

I can not, at this time, find us on any NIT projection of the 32 teams expected to go. I do not think the NIT is a foregone conclusion.
It's not. It's tougher for Power 5 schools to make the NIT field now because they take the regular season champions from smaller conferences when they don't win their conference tournaments.

If FM is gone, depending on who is hired, it could increase the chance that the local kid comes.

I believe Martin is done, unless we can't financially afford to let him go. Our next door neighbor (UGA) fired their coach after only 4 years. We will soon find out if USC is serious about men's basketball.
Georgia is probably the only other SEC school with more of a futile program than us.

I definitely agree it’s no shoe in we even make the NIT. Last time I looked we were out and getting blasted by a fellow NIT team like Miss State didn’t help.

Reactions: cpvniii
Reactions: cockofdawn
From Weber’s perspective fans were still bitter about Martin voluntarily leaving for South Carolina when Weber arrived. Many chalked up Weber’s first conference title with the Wildcats to coaching Martin’s players. Fans seemed hesitant to unite around Weber afterward, even when he posted impressive results in his first seven seasons.

Tell K-State they can have Martin back already!

Many of their followers were not displeased by his departure. His act wore on them.

Reactions: rogue cock
@Heath Cline said today on his show that he expects a decision one way or the other to come very quickly. Says IF we get into the NIT that would delay it but he, like many of us, thinks we don't get an NIT bid. Said maybe by Tuesday?
I am only reading the tone of his show but it seems like to me he thinks Coach Martin has a good chance to come back.
It just seems to me the appetite to fire Coach Martin has cooled a bit. That is just how it feels to me right now.
AND FTR before some non reading nut responds I AM PRO NEW COACH.
I want a fresh start with a new coach that does not act like a lunatic.

Last edited:
ECU, Rhode Island, Kansas State, Georgia, The Citadel, Florida Gulf Coast, South Dakota, UMas, San Diego and others have started the carousel. Every hour another coach is released.
NC State is staying by their guy. He hasn’t done much and finished last in the league.

@Heath Cline said today on his show that he expects a decision one way or the other to come very quickly. Says IF we get into the NIT that would delay it but he, like many of us, thinks we don't get an NIT bid. Said maybe by Tuesday?
I am only reading the tone of his show but it seems like to me he thinks Coach Martin has a good chance to come back.
It just seems to me the appetite to fire Coach Martin has cooled a bit. That is just how it feels to me right now.
AND FTR before some non reading nut responds I AM PRO NEW COACH.
I want a fresh start with a new coach that does not act like a lunatic.
Zero chance a decision is made by Tuesday. The buyout is reduced April 1. GG will delay a decision. We would be cutting our own nose off to fire a coach while the #1 recruit has us in his final 6. This kids decision literally holds Franks job security and Frank knows this and that’s why he brought GG up indirectly at his last press conference.

NIT isn’t going to matter. Even if we won the NIT it’s not going to rally the fan base or administration. At this point I think it’s sign GG or we will pay the buyout.

Reactions: rogue cock
If the decision is to retain Coach Martin...............
Well anyway. Clines point was no chance Carolina lets Coach Martin twist in the wind for weeks AGAIN like they did last year. We'll see who is right.

That loss in the SECT to MSU was inexcusable. 12 points in the second half??

That was all Frank Martin - not a thing in the world to do with USC, the BOT or Ray Tanner.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If the decision is to retain Coach Martin...............
Well anyway. Clines point was no chance Carolina lets Coach Martin twist in the wind for weeks AGAIN like they did last year. We'll see who is right.
He will twist until the final 4. I’m sure he’s aware he’s on the hot seat and is probably putting out feelers for other jobs that will reset the clock. The problem has been he was getting paid so much here and the buyout was so high that no one was going to touch that.

Reactions: PaleoCock
5516208f-0093-49f2-9dbe-b4ac7076894d_text.gif

are you fine with who we got and what we have lost...

are you fine with who we got and what we have lost...
Well this post was from way back on my end when the team was struggling and did not show any signs of life. I also have posted that no decision should have been made prior to the GG decision.

I am one of the few on here that would have preferred Frank to the current hire. So far we have a head coach with very little head coaching experience and the assistants we have signed have very little to no experience at least at the power 5 level. Our lineup is gutted and for now all I see is a complete blow up of the basketball program.

Well this post was from way back on my end when the team was struggling and did not show any signs of life. I also have posted that no decision should have been made prior to the GG decision.

I am one of the few on here that would have preferred Frank to the current hire. So far we have a head coach with very little head coaching experience and the assistants we have signed have very little to no experience at least at the power 5 level. Our lineup is gutted and for now all I see is a complete blow up of the basketball program.
Our team already sucked. We need to do something different even if it means things get worse for a little while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT