ADVERTISEMENT

I could use a little Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier

This is my favorite quote by OBC, and why he was successful here.

On taking the coaching job at South Carolina
“I didn’t say we are going to win a lot. But we are going to play like winners, and we’ve got a plan in place to teach our guys how to play like winners and play like a champion.”
I was thinking the same thing. We could definitely use some of that in our locker room these days. Learn to act like winners and you'll be winners.

I remember Holtz talking about Ryan Brewer's lack of speed. He said if Ryan raced a pregnant woman he would probably finish third.

Holtz on Phil Petty's injury situation, Phil sprained an ankle in the game Saturday. A few days later he sprained his other ankle in practice. The good news is he isn't walking with a limp anymore.

It's not a quote, but I think my favorite Spurrier moment was the wide receiver pass back to Newton for the last TD at Kentucky. It was on 3rd down and everybody in the stadium thought we would run it up the middle and kick the fg to go up by 10. That team wasnt all that great, but he had a swagger and confidence that few coaches had.

That must have been 2014.

Yeap and I think we won that game by 2 TDs . That was the game where Vandy ran the opening kickoff back , we scored on our first possession of the second half and the same guy ran the ensuing kickoff back . Wild game . I think we had nearly 500 yards of total offense but it was still a close game most of the way . I think Vandy was playing with a 3rd string QB . 2014 in a nutshell . If we just had a bad defense that year and not an abysmally bad defense I think we win 10 games . 2014 was without a doubt one of my most frustrating years to watch . The Mizzou , Kentucky and Tennessee games still make me sick to my stomach . In reality with a decent defense we win those three and probably beat that juggernaut Auburn team on the road . The only games we really got spanked were TAMU and Clemson . What a frustrating year

Yeap and I think we won that game by 2 TDs . That was the game where Vandy ran the opening kickoff back , we scored on our first possession of the second half and the same guy ran the ensuing kickoff back . Wild game . I think we had nearly 500 yards of total offense but it was still a close game most of the way . I think Vandy was playing with a 3rd string QB . 2014 in a nutshell . If we just had a bad defense that year and not an abysmally bad defense I think we win 10 games . 2014 was without a doubt one of my most frustrating years to watch . The Mizzou , Kentucky and Tennessee games still make me sick to my stomach . In reality with a decent defense we win those three and probably beat that juggernaut Auburn team on the road . The only games we really got spanked were TAMU and Clemson . What a frustrating year

I think Spurrier has intimated this before, but he realized that year he made a mistake by promoting Whammy instead of hiring the best DC he could find. He probably realized recruiting was tanking too. That's why he wanted to retire instead of going through another rebuild both with staff and players.

There was no succession plan in place either. That part is partially on Tanner. It was his job to have a plan - or to make sure Spurrier had one.

Can you imagine...we had Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier as back-to-back coaches. 1999-2014+. And we're pretty much where we were in the mid-90s. Yes, I know facilities have improved.

Can you imagine...we had Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier as back-to-back coaches. 1999-2014+. And we're pretty much where we were in the mid-90s. Yes, I know facilities have improved.

That’s why hiring the right coach is key. It’s the most important piece of the puzzle. We’ve got the facilities, we’ve got the cash, we’ve got the fan base. We don’t have the tradition, but with the right coach we can still win big here.

Also, thanks to the foundation that Holtz/Spurrier laid, we can get back to prominence much quicker. However that’s why this year is key. Muschamp has a decent, respected OC in Bobo. If he can’t get it done this year, it’s time to move on before we dig a deeper hole.

Can you imagine if we had a semi decent defense that year and Spurrier rides off into the Sunset with another 11 win team ?? We could have the pick of the litter . Instead we just got the litter . I think if anything else it just shows that Ray just was not prepared for life after SOS .

Can you imagine if we had a semi decent defense that year and Spurrier rides off into the Sunset with another 11 win team ?? We could have the pick of the litter . Instead we just got the litter . I think if anything else it just shows that Ray just was not prepared for life after SOS .
Reporter: "Hey Lou. Has the tackling improved any so far in Spring practice""
Holtz: "I really don't know. Our running backs usually fall down before they are touched".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Lou on his first head coaching job:

"I took my first head coaching job at William and Mary -- there were not enough Williams and too many Marys."

This is my favorite quote by OBC, and why he was successful here.

On taking the coaching job at South Carolina
“I didn’t say we are going to win a lot. But we are going to play like winners, and we’ve got a plan in place to teach our guys how to play like winners and play like a champion.”

And he did get the mindset of those players to be that of winners. It took a few years. But how many close games did we pull out? A lot. We were going into clemsin games expecting to win. That mindset is long gone!

And he did get the mindset of those players to be that of winners. It took a few years. But how many close games did we pull out? A lot. We were going into clemsin games expecting to win. That mindset is long gone!
Agree. It seems like his message resonated with the the players and SOME of our fans. But many of the "Wait 'til next year" crowd were all too happy to fall back in to the loveable losers mentality after Spurrier "quit on us." And not because he's, you know, our all time WINNER. Eyeroll

I said in another thread that was talking about our not signing 5 star players that it is all about the coach. A great coach can win.with 3 star talent because of his ability to coach and motivate a winning attitude. They can evaluate players and coach them into winners. Just look at Shaw, Brewer or Munnerlyn. Bear Bryant once said: "I can take yours and beat his or his and beat yours" (sic)

I said in another thread that was talking about our not signing 5 star players that it is all about the coach. A great coach can win.with 3 star talent because of his ability to coach and motivate a winning attitude. They can evaluate players and coach them into winners. Just look at Shaw, Brewer or Munnerlyn. Bear Bryant once said: "I can take yours and beat his or his and beat yours" (sic)
Reminds me of a conversation between two high school coaches after a game many years ago. My high school team ,3A at the time, had lost on their home field to a 1A school, which was, is, and always will be a powerhouse. Their coach said to my school’s coach,” If I had the players you have, I’d beat any high school team in the state of South Carolina.”

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT