ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t just pull for the Gamecocks...I AM a Gamecock!!!

Vs top 25:
Spurrier 2005-2008: 5-10 AVG ranking of ranked opponents: 12.333
Muschamp 2016-2019: 2-11 AVG ranking of ranked opponents: 8.307

So Muschamp has faced fewer, but better ranked teams.
Many bring up that Spurrier left us for dead and the barn empty. How bad did he really leave us? The best teams that Muschamp has had here so far were with Spurrier's recruits. Muschamp is 15-11 with Spurrier's upperclassmen and he's about to be 11-14 with his own upperclassmen.

Should Spurrier have retired after the 2013 season? Absolutely!! But he was begged to return by the same guy that found us Muschamp after having months of a headstart to find Spurrier's successor. We can't continue to blame Spurrier for everything.
Spurrier's recruiting fell off, but he didn't have bad teams. The 3-9 season was without a coach. He had lost the team, they stopped believing in him or whatever. They were still a talented squad.

Vs top 25:
Spurrier 2005-2008: 5-10 AVG ranking of ranked opponents: 12.333
Muschamp 2016-2019: 2-11 AVG ranking of ranked opponents: 8.307

So Muschamp has faced fewer, but better ranked teams.

Spurrier's recruiting fell off, but he didn't have bad teams. The 3-9 season was without a coach. He had lost the team, they stopped believing in him or whatever. They were still a talented squad.

The record vs. top 25 teams is a very valid point, but it should not be ignored that Clemson and UGA were nowhere near as strong in Spurriers first 3 or 4 seasons as they have been during Muschamp's first 4. If what you listed is accurate then 7 of Muschamp's 13 games vs. ranked opponents have been against either Clemson or UGA.

What setback is anyone worried about if we change coaches? We are already set back! We already have a coach that we are just going to get worse and worse with. Not firing him only makes it look like we have no interest in ever trying to be winners again on top of it. Yeah, maybe the next coach is not a keep either. We won't know if we don't try. We gave Muschamp a 2nd chance to prove he can be a good head coach and proved once again, no he can't.

I have been a loyal Gamecock fan for over 20 years. I plan for it to remain that way. But as some point our administration needs to start acting like they actually deserve loyal fans. I don't mind being a sheep if the shepherds are leading us to green grass and cool water. But if they just keep us aimlessly wandering toward a large cliff not paying attention to quicksand and other such hazards they are going to lose me as a fan.

The record vs. top 25 teams is a very valid point, but it should not be ignored that Clemson and UGA were nowhere near as strong in Spurriers first 3 or 4 seasons as they have been during Muschamp's first 4. If what you listed is accurate then 7 of Muschamp's 13 games vs. ranked opponents have been against either Clemson or UGA.
If what is listed is accurate, I do agree this is very valid information. But how much of a difference is there between #8 and #12? You're very correct that Clemson was nowhere near what they are today, but UGA was pretty strong during that span. I think one of the least talked about things that separate Spurrier from Muschamp is just the level of belief. With Spurrier, I can't think of a game where I didn't believe we could win or at least be in the game to the end. I can't think of one big time game since 2016 that I've had the same level of faith (including games vs. teams that should have been less talented). I truly wonder how much our players believe they can compete week in and week out. Spurrier's players believed they could beat anyone on any day and they say it to this day. Much of that faith is internal but it also comes from your leadership.

If what is listed is accurate, I do agree this is very valid information. But how much of a difference is there between #8 and #12? You're very correct that Clemson was nowhere near what they are today, but UGA was pretty strong during that span. I think one of the least talked about things that separate Spurrier from Muschamp is just the level of belief. With Spurrier, I can't think of a game where I didn't believe we could win or at least be in the game to the end. I can't think of one big time game since 2016 that I've had the same level of faith (including games vs. teams that should have been less talented). I truly wonder how much our players believe they can compete week in and week out. Spurrier's players believed they could beat anyone on any day and they say it to this day. Much of that faith is internal but it also comes from your leadership.
And don't forget that Florida had a dominant run with 2 national championships during that time. So that easily accounts for Clemson's current role on our schedule.

Everyone laughing at me asking for 6 years to make Head Coach evaluation: name a coach in our history besides Spurrier that you were completely happy with after 4 years.

VERY hard to do. You know why? Because we have kept that many coaches that long.

When we fired Sparky Woods, I was a recent grad and was 100% on board with it. But, looking back, knowing what I know now, had we given Woods 2-3 more years, we probably have a much better history than we have had.

I also read that some of you have never felt confident in games with CWM like you did with Spurrier. I can agree with that some extent, especially from 2011-2013. But outside of those years, we were just average and again, SOS finished 9-10 at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT