ADVERTISEMENT

I got a new job as a sports reporter but was assigned to record Dabo

Gradstudent

Feb 11, 2006
after Clemson's practice today.

Man it was boring, I'm the guy in the light blue Charleston shirt

You can start to see me in full view at the 2:16 mark, I didnt really ask any questions, but most were stupid and made me smirk

At 11:57, I started to check out Gamecock Central on my phone, I felt like Dabo kept trying to figure out what im doing.

No I dont think Dabo trusts me just yet, I think maybe my posture and general disinterest gave me away.

You can start to see me in full view at the 2:16 mark, I didnt really ask any questions, but most were stupid and made me smirk

At 11:57, I started to check out Gamecock Central on my phone, I felt like Dabo kept trying to figure out what im doing.

Oh that's good there grad!! I give it a 10!!

We were all reading your mind, lol.

Good stuff. Gotta love unenthused reporters at his pressers.

Last edited:
Next time ask him if he thinks it’s time for a formal apology for “the rant”

Pretty funny, but I also would hate for you to lose a cool career opportunity because you dont like who/what you're covering. If you make your employer look bad or they think you only will take certain assignments seriously then that's not a good thing.
Just saying this because sometimes you gotta see the bigger picture. Almost everyone in the media who wasn't famous previously has to climb the ladder.
Better than covering a story at the old folks home!

Who'd you piss off to get assigned that job?? Btw, he keeps looking at you because you're supposed to be in awe when standing in the Dabsters presence.

I believe I got the assignment, because I'm the new guy, new guy gets the worst assignment rule.

Hope they pay you by the hour if you keep that assignment.

Still frustrates the hell out of me Clemsin took a chance on that clown and that he got the best of us.

I get it. You've got to show your Gamecock bonafides by telling us how crappy it was to cover Dabo, and by acting like this is beneath you. Understandable fan reaction.

But, as a USC journalism graduate who has been in the business for 41 years, let me pass on some advice: When you're on the job, act like a professional, or at least like an adult. This assignment isn't beneath you. You aren't too good to attend an interview session at a major college football program. If you think you are, maybe you're in the wrong line of work.

Be professional and look professional. Lose the blue T-shirts. Wear a button-down shirts with khaki slacks; khaki shorts could work...

Even if you don’t like the assignment, don’t look bored, you need look the part that of being serious reporter. This is a stepping stone for something bigger in your career...

Act like you enjoy it...

I get it. You've got to show your Gamecock bonafides by telling us how crappy it was to cover Dabo, and by acting like this is beneath you. Understandable fan reaction.

But, as a USC journalism graduate who has been in the business for 41 years, let me pass on some advice: When you're on the job, act like a professional, or at least like an adult. This assignment isn't beneath you. You aren't too good to attend an interview session at a major college football program. If you think you are, maybe you're in the wrong line of work.
Oh zip it Mr. Precise. I assure you the kid's committed no "professional" sin.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Lol on the house taters here to like the comments that disagree with OP attitude towards tater clown . They’re the cockroaches of fgf .

Btw. Nice job Graduate Student. I see what you did there .

So, what, we were "Punk'd"?
Congrats on the historic internet prank and for fooling us fellow Gamecocks who took you at your word.
Oh how I feel so foolish now....smh

Reactions: Lakecock1
Funny as hell. OP even got a nice lecture.

ROFLMAF_zpslg6ttcwd.gif

Thanks for posting Grad, apologies I couldn’t force myself to listen to him

I feel a little bad, Alot of people not familiar with my humor in my posts, usually just to entertain myself.

It was subtle shot at many things including the State Newspaper, the funny thing is even Clemson fans have been wondering who this guy is on YouTube comments who likes to get in the shot but doesn't seem to care at all, or pay attention to Dabo I think the video is hilarious, if you watch just him.

Im glad a few got it and shared the entertainment value that i saw.

Great advise dispensed in some posts for sure by current and former members of the media that we can translate to all professions.

Unfortunately, I don't think the State cares to much what its readers or the public think about them.

Last edited:
I feel a little bad, Alot of people not familiar with my typical sarcasm in my posts, usually just to entertain myself.

It was shot at many things including the State Newspaper, the funny thing is even Clemson fans have been wondering who this guy is on youtibe comments who likes to get in the shot but doesn't seem to care at all, or pay attention to Dabo I think the video is hilarious, if you watch just him.

Im glad a few got it and shared the entertainment value that i saw,

Great advise dispensed in some posts for sure by current and former members of the media.

Unfortunately, I don't think the State cares to much what its readers think about their employees.
I showed this video to my friend who is the sports photography editor at The State. He said that they are giving Matt hell and that the video may go up on their website with added graphics this afternoon

Guarantee Clem's media apparatus had their antennae up on this one. No way they're gonna let somebody not properly vetted near the big man

Reactions: Gradstudent
I feel a little bad, Alot of people not familiar with my humor in my posts, usually just to entertain myself.

It was subtle shot at many things including the State Newspaper, the funny thing is even Clemson fans have been wondering who this guy is on YouTube comments who likes to get in the shot but doesn't seem to care at all, or pay attention to Dabo I think the video is hilarious, if you watch just him.

Great advise dispensed in some posts for sure by current and former members of the media that we can translate to all professions.

Unfortunately, I don't think the State cares to much what its readers or the public think about them.
Man I thought it was great! Please, by all means keep up the good work - I mean as far as I'm concerned, such humor is desperately needed here, particularly so from the posters/players that can do it just right, and of course "in tune". I think you did great and encourage you to "keep up the good work"!!

My only question is 1) how did you find this video and 2) how did you sit through 12 minutes of that?

@Gradstudent stuck in media purgatory until Gamecock Central hires him. Keep up the fight man, and don't listen to the folks saying you look like Matt Connolly. Matt Connolly looks like you.
Zackly there Grad! Like Beck said, "keep up the fight" my man! Persevere with perseverance!!

Guarantee Clem's media apparatus had their antennae up on this one. No way they're gonna let somebody not properly vetted near the big man

I think the next one was on the 16th and no lie, Dabo was sitting down on the steps and not standing.

Last edited:
My only question is 1) how did you find this video and 2) how did you sit through 12 minutes of that?

The site of a guy staring into the abyss with a posture pointing away, right next to Dabo, interested me, and in the little picture, I thought the hat on the guy in the shades may have been a Gamecock hat, but it was a Raider hat, so I clicked.

Then I saw some of the Clemson fans comments about how could somebody be so disinterested in Dabo immediately interested me and I saw the humor in it, especially if you just turn the volume down and watch. It was very funny to me, especially at the end when Dabo sees and seems to be thinking hey Im speaking over here, why are you not paying attention

Last edited:
Reactions: HI Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT