ADVERTISEMENT

I got one for you, what are the Braves going to do with Matt Adams when Freddie comes back?

I vote keep. Looks like all their pitching is being groomed for 18 and 19. Trade him in July next yr if still below 500. I would jettison Tehran and keep Garcia if you can get any value. I like the position players. The Vandy pitcher fell in their lap at #5 today. Many experts had him going #1. I will hate to lose Brandon Phillips, but looks like they are going that way w him. He is a beast.

The Cards were trying him in the outfield but it was a slow transition which is why they traded him. He can't be any slower with a worse arm than Markakis. I'm not sure the Braves will want to give up his offense but his value as trade bait will be through the roof if he stays around .275 and hitting homers the way he has.

Good stuff guys, yeah I say keep him around until someone makes you an offer you can't refuse, I think that Kyle Wright pick will be huge!

Man these guys are fun to watch again!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
If they get the right offer for Kemp they'll trade him and move Adam's to LF

If they get the right offer for Kemp they'll trade him and move Adam's to LF
It's a different vibe to actually having a mix of veteran and young position players that could actually play MLB. Hopefully some of these guys can be under contract bench players and insurance policies as Ruiz, Albies, and Swanson develop. The Braves history of bench players the last ten years is laughable at best, although Beckham has 10 hr for Tampa. Don't forget about car accident Rodriquez for next yr.

They will keep Kemp because they need a right handled slugger. I suppose they could trade Adams for a third baseman.

Good stuff guys, yeah I say keep him around until someone makes you an offer you can't refuse, I think that Kyle Wright pick will be huge!

Man these guys are fun to watch again!

giphy.gif

Laugh all you want, but these guys ARE fun to watch! Looks like FF has bought into a solution, still need some starting pitching! I'm having a hard time remembering when a Braves team had this many +.280 hitters!

Quite honestly I wasn't planning on returning to the Braves. LOL! Just having a little fun.

Imagine having to face Freeman, Kemp, and Adams back to back to back after Inciarte and Phillips? That's pretty brutal. The questions at this point revolve around pitching. Can Julio get his groove back? Can Folty continue to dominate AND hold up? Will Garcia find some consistency? Will hitters figure out Newcombe? Will RA stop having complete dumpster fire games? If Dickey or Garcia get hot will they be traded? Will the pen quit blowing saves? The staff hasn't been terrible (other than Colon) but they have been terribly inconsistent.

I'll admit to having my Braves glasses on but considering
A. How horrible Colon has been (but won't be any more)
B. How terrible Tehran has been at home
C. How long Freeman has been out

It's fun to see this team at .500.

At the start of the season the only hitters that this team had was Incarte Kemp & Freeman. Adams has been a solid pickup. Markakis will hit for average but his power days are up. Same with Phillips but he is a great veteran for this young team to learn from. Flowers has been a pleasant surprise. Swanson can barely hit his weight but he has a great glove.

Folty has been pretty solid. Dickey seems to be getting better movement on pitches lately. Tehran needs to get out of his funk to have a chance. Newcombe has started strong. Hopefully he will continue but I doubt you can expect this level of dominance season long from a rookie.

It will be interesting to see what this team does if they are in it at the All Star Break. Will they make a trade to possibly get in the playoffs and boost attendance for the rest of the season or will they just see what this group does once freeman comes back.

I'll admit to having my Braves glasses on but considering
A. How horrible Colon has been (but won't be any more)
B. How terrible Tehran has been at home
C. How long Freeman has been out

It's fun to see this team at .500.

At the start of the season the only hitters that this team had was Incarte Kemp & Freeman. Adams has been a solid pickup. Markakis will hit for average but his power days are up. Same with Phillips but he is a great veteran for this young team to learn from. Flowers has been a pleasant surprise. Swanson can barely hit his weight but he has a great glove.

Folty has been pretty solid. Dickey seems to be getting better movement on pitches lately. Tehran needs to get out of his funk to have a chance. Newcombe has started strong. Hopefully he will continue but I doubt you can expect this level of dominance season long from a rookie.

It will be interesting to see what this team does if they are in it at the All Star Break. Will they make a trade to possibly get in the playoffs and boost attendance for the rest of the season or will they just see what this group does once freeman comes back.

That's a pretty good rundown, the one thing I like is so many guys are contributing to winning, if one guys down another one steps up, we haven't seen that in a while, Dansby's BA is down, but he has had a bunch of clutch hits! Yes this team could be pretty darn good with some consistent starting pitching and JJ to close the door, I think middle relief had been serviceable!

it's time for a few of the young pitchers the Braves have been drafting to make the majors and win some games...If they can't, Atl needs to fire it's scouts

Freeman says he wants to try 3rd base to keep Adam's bat in the line up. There is an analysis of all the Braves moves and trades by columnist Mark Bradley in today's AJC. Some good moves. Some too close to call yet and some bad moves. At this point the rebuild has run into some bumps.

The Braves have been playing pretty well, but there is very little chance they will sniff the playoffs. The second half of their schedule is much, much more difficult. They just don't have the roster for it. But they're ahead of schedule for a full re-build. The Astros lost 106, 107, and 111 games while they were rebuilding.

The first wave of older prospects they traded for is here (Folty, Newcomb). The first wave of big-time drafted pitchers are a year away or so (Soroka, Allard). Albies will be up if (when) they trade Phillips this summer. Acuna will arrive next year. Maitan is the one with the most potential, but still only 17 years old.

And Johnson blows another save today. That's several lately and most of them have been due to walks to start the inning.

I heard on a Braves broadcast that Freddie is practicing at 3rd.
Yep. Not sure I'll believe it until I see it. They could just be trying to increase the asking price on Adams. But Freddie offered to move to 3rd, said he's dead serious, and got his first action fielding a few ground balls over there. He's excellent with the glove, but I don't know if that translates to him actually being effective at 3rd. It would certainly upgrade an already solid offensive lineup to have Freeman and Adams as their corner infielders. That said, it will take another off-season to plug the holes in the starting pitching rotation so, despite the progress, I wouldn't expect them to be a real contender until '18 and '19, once a couple more of the young arms make it to the bigs.

Yep. Not sure I'll believe it until I see it. They could just be trying to increase the asking price on Adams. But Freddie offered to move to 3rd, said he's dead serious, and got his first action fielding a few ground balls over there. He's excellent with the glove, but I don't know if that translates to him actually being effective at 3rd. It would certainly upgrade an already solid offensive lineup to have Freeman and Adams as their corner infielders. That said, it will take another off-season to plug the holes in the starting pitching rotation so, despite the progress, I wouldn't expect them to be a real contender until '18 and '19, once a couple more of the young arms make it to the bigs.

I see no reason for rehabbing a guy at a totally different position unless they are dead serious! Not seen this mentioned much, and I'm not sure how they pulled it off, but having Ron Washington on the staff is huge! I wonder if Chipper has pitched in?

The Braves have been playing pretty well, but there is very little chance they will sniff the playoffs. The second half of their schedule is much, much more difficult. They just don't have the roster for it. But they're ahead of schedule for a full re-build. The Astros lost 106, 107, and 111 games while they were rebuilding.

The first wave of older prospects they traded for is here (Folty, Newcomb). The first wave of big-time drafted pitchers are a year away or so (Soroka, Allard). Albies will be up if (when) they trade Phillips this summer. Acuna will arrive next year. Maitan is the one with the most potential, but still only 17 years old.
They may have more home games
Than anyone in baseball in the second half. That could be a good thing...

August and Sept we seem to play well so it's going to be fun seeing this team turn it on.

Did someone say the schedule was going to get tougher in the second half, might well be but early on they seem to be holding their own! Starting pitching is the key for this team, but it sure is nice to see some power and avg. at the plate!

Did someone say the schedule was going to get tougher in the second half, might well be but early on they seem to be holding their own! Starting pitching is the key for this team, but it sure is nice to see some power and avg. at the plate!
On paper yes, starting from 4 Jul - 26 Jul the Braves play 19 games against Division Leaders and 2nd place teams. After the first 9 they went 5-4...a very good result. The next 10 games are home against the Cubs (3 games, 2nd Place NL Central), away to the Dodgers (4 games, 1st place NL West) and away against the Diamond Backs (3 games, 2nd place NL West). If somehow they can go 5-5, and 10-9 over this 19 game stretch, that will be a very good result.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT