ADVERTISEMENT

I have always wondered why college teams in the Southeast need or want

Brucifer

May 12, 2010
inside practice football facilities.

Yes, I understand it could be raining during the week when the team needs to practice but heck, aren't all Southeastern teams going to play in the rain at some point? Hence they need to practice in the rain.

It's not like it gets so cold in the Southeast, on a routine basis, that any team would need to practice inside. And even, during an anomaly, when the weather was cold, won't a team need to practice in the cold weather to better be conditioned for the game played that week in the cold?

Other than keeping up with one's competitors by having everything every other team in the Southeast has, I don't understand the need for an indoor practice facility.

Maybe there is a reason but I would just love to know why?

They have to learn how to play, before they learn how to play in bad weather. You aren't going to able to do that slopping around in downpour. A week of that makes for a week of bad practices which make for bad play in a games.

This post was edited on 1/19 9:23 PM by ReadR00ster

Originally posted by Brucifer:

Yes, I understand it could be raining during the week when the team needs to practice but heck, aren't all Southeastern teams going to play in the rain at some point? Hence they need to practice in the rain.

It's not like it gets so cold in the Southeast, on a routine basis, that any team would need to practice inside. And even, during an anomaly, when the weather was cold, won't a team need to practice in the cold weather to better be conditioned for the game played that week in the cold?

Other than keeping up with one's competitors by having everything every other team in the Southeast has, I don't understand the need for an indoor practice facility.

The schools are getting a lot of money. They have to spend it in order to be a "broke" non-profit. Therefore, they have to wastes a lot of money on things like indoor practice facilities if Florida because someone else has one.

So you prefer them to lose out on practice time when the southern electrical storms come rolling through? You can't practice or play in that type weather so you need a place to go.

August heat for preseason practice?

To keep Belichek from spying on us?

Once upon a time, spying probably did happen. Maybe it still does.

August heat for preseason practice?

But, won't that be to your advantage? You, want to have every advantage against your opponent as possible and the first game heat is one of them.

Originally posted by uscjunkie36:
So you prefer them to lose out on practice time when the southern electrical storms come rolling through? You can't practice or play in that type weather so you need a place to go.
How often does that happen.

Doesn't matter. 'The Mob' (of which I am a proud member) wanted a damn IPF and so we GOT a damn IPF!

Besides, Clemson already had one. If we ever would want/need one, we had to go ahead and get it done before the Budget & Control Board told us, 'You waited too long. Apparently, you don't need one'.

Yes, I know. We already had the Field House on Heyward Street, but now it's being converted for Indoor Track & Field.

We have had a indoor practice field for 40 years. There has always been a need. Now do they need to be as excessive as they are that's a whole different discussion

It can happen everyday, depends on the weather pattern. Have you not spent a summer in the South, it is either hot and dry, or hot in humid with thunderstorms every afternoon.

We don't NEED color-coordinated gloves and cleats either but we have them. It's an arms race... just that simple. If Alabama builds a really nice indoor facility, then everyone else has to build one. Think about this for a second... we don't even NEED a football team. This is all a game. We aren't signing free agents over here in the college ranks... you have to talk these kids into playing here. Whether or not the indoor facility means anything, no one wants to sit in some kid's living room and try to explain why everyone else has one and we don't.

whats wrong with playing in lightning....makes you run faster....we need some team speed

USC would lose out on a good many practices during some summers if they had no indoor option. No reason to practice in rain or lightning. You're risking too much.

Originally posted by uscbeckham:

USC would lose out on a good many practices during some summers if they had no indoor option. No reason to practice in rain or lightning. You're risking too much.
All, I'm trying to say is one needs to practice in the same environment they will be playing an actual game. And the best way to do that is practice outside.

I'm not oppose to having an indoor practice facility but it just seems unnecessary.

Originally posted by wt9:
We have had a indoor practice field for 40 years. There has always been a need. Now do they need to be as excessive as they are that's a whole different discussion
They do if you want to get recruits. It's all about impressing the top recruits right? Would you want to practice is a palace or a beat up smelly garage if you had your choice?"

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:
Originally posted by uscbeckham:

All, I'm trying to say is one needs to practice in the same environment they will be playing an actual game. And the best way to do that is practice outside.

I'm not oppose to having an indoor practice facility but it just seems unnecessary.
It's hard to perfect you craft unless you have ideal conditions. Perfecting your craft is going to give you more of an edge in a game with bad weather conditions than a team that didn't do that because they are trying to throw the ball around in 25 mph winds.

ADVERTISEMENT