ADVERTISEMENT

I have followed our ladies very closely this year and hence women's

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
basketball in general.

But, it seems that I have noticed there are not nearly the number of upsets in women's basketball than as in men's basketball. There are certainly upsets in women's basketball but not very big upsets and not the number of upsets.

The above is just my observations this year, I don't know if that is true year in and year out or not.

What's your opinion?

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:

basketball in general.

But, it seems that I have noticed there are not nearly the number of upsets in women's basketball than as in men's basketball. There are certainly upsets in women's basketball but not very big upsets and not the number of upsets.

The above is just my observations this year, I don't know if that is true year in and year out or not.

What's your opinion?
Not as many women play sports as do men, so the depth of talent is not as great as in MBB. Thus, not as many upsets.

I'd agree with that assessment. I even read an article on ESPN a week or two noting how few lower seeds win in the tournament. Honestly, I think its a resources thing. Large schools from the major conferences can afford to spend big money on their women's programs and still dominate in the men's game. Smaller schools/conferences (whose upper tiers rarely rise above a six or seven seed, with the notable exception of Gonzaga) basically have to spend everything they have just to keep their men's teams marginally competitive. Women's sports kind of get short shrift just because there aren't enough resources to go around.

basketball in general.

What's your opinion?
hence this:

hark

the fliers are truly competing against thy huskies

verily

this is a splendid game

out, damn (gino) spot

go dayton!

If Maryland wins, all four 1 seeds will make the Final Four. How's that for "competitive balance"?

Originally posted by cockhornleghorn:

basketball in general.

What's your opinion?
Not as many women play sports as do men, so the depth of talent is not as great as in MBB. Thus, not as many upsets.
Exactly. You never see the big NCAA Tournament upsets because the talent disparity between the haves and the have-nots is so great. That may change someday, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT