ADVERTISEMENT

I heard on the radio that Spurrier is taking over the offense calls

More empty words from Steve Spurrier.

A poster on another site linked the following articles from years past in which Spurrier made the exact same claim. Thus, Spurrier's statements yesterday appear pretty meaningless when put in context. I think we can expect more of the same this year: Spurrier calls the plays for UGA and another big game or two, and the rest of the games we get a hodgepodge of playcalling from 3 or 4 coaches, much of it nonsensical.

Check out the following articles:

2008-Spurrier Says He'll Delegate Some of the Playcalling[/B]
http://www.wspa.com/story/21497493/s...e-play-calling

2010- Spurrier: "I called most all of them last year, but I'm going to call them all this year" [/B]
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-plays-in-2010

2011- "After toying with delegating play-calling responsibilities for parts of the past three seasons, Spurrier says it's time that he take the whole thing back over this coming season."[/B]
http://www.sectalk.com/board/topic/7...tting-started/

So Steve, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us."[/B]

Originally posted by ipull4usc:

A poster on another site linked the following articles from years past in which Spurrier made the exact same claim. Thus, Spurrier's statements yesterday appear pretty meaningless when put in context. I think we can expect more of the same this year: Spurrier calls the plays for UGA and another big game or two, and the rest of the games we get a hodgepodge of playcalling from 3 or 4 coaches, much of it nonsensical.

2010- Spurrier: "I called most all of them last year, but I'm going to call them all this year" [/B]
https://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-plays-in-2010

2011- "After toying with delegating play-calling responsibilities for parts of the past three seasons, Spurrier says it's time that he take the whole thing back over this coming season."[/B]

So Steve, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us."[/B]
So.. I take it that you want Spurrier to retire????

To me, it seems like when Spurrier is calling plays, he is really jumpy and figity on the sidelines (like Auburn/Georgia this year). When he isn't, he is just standing there with his hand on his mic, other hand under his arm with his play chart. He says he is taking it back every year seems like.

ipull4usc, spot on! Also you can tell when HBC is calling plays, were aggressive and execute. You can tell the games he gets up playing for and those he doesn't.

So I guess we need a coach that can call all the plays and get us a 0-21 (laughing stock) record as apposed to a HC that has given us our best EVER seasons (3 back to back 11 win seasons? I would love for him to call all the plays but the MOST important thing for me as a fan is winning. Oh yeah for you fans who hate that we finally lost to Clemson after a 5 year run.....when did that happen in your lifetime?
mad.r191677.gif

Reactions: RD_Gator
When he let others call the plays, he was right there and could have overridden any of the calls. It was like the other coaches were in the driver's seat but the HBC was ready to take over the controls any minute. I don't see how him calling all the plays will be that much different other than an attitude that he is in control.
BTW, didn't we have a pretty good offense many of the games last year but our defense got run over?

Originally posted by JBM123:

ipull4usc, spot on! Also you can tell when HBC is calling plays, were aggressive and execute. You can tell the games he gets up playing for and those he doesn't.
He should be up for all of them. He expects the team to be.

You know it's funny how he wants his qb to be in rhythm. How can he expect the offense, or the qb, to have continuity if there isn't continuity within the play calling?

Steve Spurrier is the best game planner in college football, has been for 20+ years. I know he's gotten up there in age, but he is still the best and we need him to call as many games as possible. They say it doesn't matter that much, but style points do matter, and we have the best chance scoring when he calls the plays.

Never knew there was an issue with play calling last year. Definitely a few issues with execution. You can watch any football game and question a few play calls. I don't care what game it is. Thought that a record setting offensive year put that issue to rest. Funny how we have a disastrous year on defense, and the issue to open the following year becomes play calling on offense.

It may come down to who is better at NOT calling the plays. A coach that is not engaged with making the next call, is freed up from that and is able to watch the defense more closely, pattern them, and devote all of his brain space at what plays will work and what may not be working. I would say the play caller needs a couple of guys in each ear to inform and advise him about the tendencies of the defense. I'd say one coach should be focused on the defensive front and another should be looking closely at the back 7. I think Coach Spurrier is probably trying to find that right formula.

Kinda like Spurrier saying "We need to get X player the ball more", yet he never does.

It was d*MN obvious that Spurrier was NOT calling the plays in the clemson game last year. That was a horribly called game. Just don't know if it was Mangus or Jr.

Originally posted by umdterpcock:
You know it's funny how he wants his qb to be in rhythm. How can he expect the offense, or the qb, to have continuity if there isn't continuity within the play calling?

Steve Spurrier is the best game planner in college football, has been for 20+ years. I know he's gotten up there in age, but he is still the best and we need him to call as many games as possible. They say it doesn't matter that much, but style points do matter, and we have the best chance scoring when he calls the plays.
He was the best game planner in college football. I'm not down on Spurrier and I think he's done a great job here, but this is just not true anymore.

you people have short memories, Spurrier made horrendous play calling gaffs last year, at least one of which cost us the game (the not going for 2 at the end debacle). He admitted more than once that he made mistakes that cost us. Best in the college game? Maybe at one time, but not last year.

He can run the offense any damn way he wants to...he's Steve Friggin' Spurrier.

And y'all will miss hin when he's gone.

So enjoy it while he's here and quit whining.

Originally posted by Bigger_Stronger_Faster:

He is ultimately responsible to the fans. You know, the people who buy tickets and contribute to the athletic dept.
Who would have ever believed that USC, given its history, would have even won three straight 11 win seasons? He's the best but he's not above criticism and his pedestal has a few cracks in it.

Originally posted by Bigger_Stronger_Faster:

This is just plain childish and non-sense. The man is not above reproach. Have some dignity and stop acting like a teenage girl at the sound of his name.

This post was edited on 3/26 7:59 AM by G-C-Gamecock

The old Spurrier at Florida had good players. We don't have that type athlete and we sure don't have a QB like he had in those days. His QB's didn't and couldn't run but today he had better have a mobile QB or we are in trouble.

Reactions: RD_Gator
I could really care less who called the play when we get a win.......It's pretty much meaningless.....I am sure as the HBC retains the ultimate authority to override any play at any time if he desires.....

Winning takes care of all problems!

Originally posted by Cackdiesel:

Originally posted by umdterpcock:

He was the best game planner in college football. I'm not down on Spurrier and I think he's done a great job here, but this is just not true anymore.

Yes Spurrier is still the best offensive game planner in college football. Does he mess up some? More than he should? More than he used to? Yes he does.

I never ever would accuse him of being the best clock manager, even before he got some age on him. He struggles really bad with it now, worse than ever.

If you think he's not the best game planner in college football still, go and watch us play Auburn last year. We have no business being on the same field with Auburn yet we had a shot to win it in the 4th qtr. Spurrier made the playing field more equal with his game plan.

If you ever watch the ESPN special about Spurrier you'd understand why he calls the plays that he does. He expected himself as a player to play to at an elite level, and to execute at an elite level. Now he expects the same from the players he coaches.

Spurrier is the best, maybe the best ever. Like it or not.

Originally posted by basses:

The old Spurrier at Florida had good players. We don't have that type athlete and we sure don't have a QB like he had in those days. His QB's didn't and couldn't run but today he had better have a mobile QB or we are in trouble.
I agee, we need a mobile qb just to throw in the element of
unpredictability into the offense. When you're 70 years old, you have a
lot tendencies.

I don't buy for a minute that SOS didn't call the plays at the end of the
Tennessee game or Kentucky game. And even if he didn't call the exact plays, are there really people who believe he wouldn't overrule any play he didn't like?

Spurrier is just WAY too pass happy. How many times did Connor Shaw basically veto a Spurrier play call by taking off and running? Many, many times. And we were very successful with CS at quarterback.

What about 2012, 2013, and 2014?

Is it not reasonable to assume that he's been delegating the play-calling, and maybe most of them in 2014? Look at the results of 2010 and 2011. Don't they speak for themselves? That poster is just digging.

Originally posted by garnet_reign:

What about 2012, 2013, and 2014?

Is it not reasonable to assume that he's been delegating the play-calling, and maybe most of them in 2014? Look at the results of 2010 and 2011. Don't they speak for themselves? That poster is just digging.
The point is Spurrier has previously made this "I'm calling all the plays again" claim multiple times... and each time it turned out not to be true. Thus, there's no reason to believe it's true this time.

Why would Spurrier say in 2011 that he's taking back the playcalling... when he made the exact same claim a year before in 2010? There'd have been nothing to "take back" if Spurrier had actually taken the playcalling reigns back like he said he would a year before.

By the time the season rolls around, Spurrier will inevitably begin delegating playcalling at some point. We just have to hope he's not delegating that task to Spurrier Jr. like he did last season.

It wouldnt hurt my feelings if he was just a "head coach" and wasn't calling the plays. But if that were to happen I'd hope he hire a real OC and just over-see the program.

Originally posted by FORKCOCK:
If Jr is calling the plays, we may as well ramp up the coaching search.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Jr will be calling the plays again. We've heard this from the HBC before. He wants to give the experience to Jr, but he can't do it successfully. Spurrier will take the blame to keep the heat off Jr's back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT