ADVERTISEMENT

I hope it doesn't cause anyone any trouble and certainly no harm but I am ready for some "white stuff"

This my 4th winter in Montana and I have not grown tired of snow yet. I still love it. But I'm hitting the road Saturday morning, so I hope we dont have a storm come through at the same time.

Are you coming home to SC for Christmas? Whatever your destination, have a safe trip.

Last edited:
True story!!30 years ago an Atlanta TV had a black newsman named Ron Sailor and a drop dead gorgeous white weather reporter,Virginia Gunn..One night Atlanta had a snow forecast and Ron had a lead in of “so,Virginia.am I gonna get any of that white stuff tonight?”Neal Boortz cracked up for days.

True story!!30 years ago an Atlanta TV had a black newsman named Ron Sailor and a drop dead gorgeous white weather reporter,Virginia Gunn..One night Atlanta had a snow forecast and Ron had a lead in of “so,Virginia.am I gonna get any of that white stuff tonight?”Neal Boortz cracked up for days.
That is funny.

Reactions: jonesz21
John West and Nixon. That must have been 71-73 time frame? Or was it before that?

I was living in Georgetown, SC in 1989. That fall Hurricane Hugo blew through in September. That October, was the big earthquake during the World Series in Oakland, CA. That winter, starting Friday December 22nd a freak snowstorm hit the coastal area starting just north of Charleston and going inland only about 30-40 miles. It started about 6 pm that Friday. My wife and I walked several blocks to a Christmas party, and flurries were just beginning. We left about 9 pm and it was snowing pretty hard. The babysitter lived just down the street so I didn't have to drive that night. When we went to bed the forecast said it would stop snowing by midnight. When we woke up there was 6 inches on the ground and it was still falling. The low pressure off the coast had stalled.

It snowed all day Saturday. By 5 pm there was 10 inches of snow on the ground and roads were impassable. I was supposed to take my son, who was just 1 1/2 at the time, to visit my parents who were staying at Pawley's Island. I got to the top of the bridge across the Waccamaw River on Hwy 17, and it was a whiteout. I could no longer see the highway and drifts were several feet high at the edge of the bridge. I could tell the snow was accumulating heavy on the north side of the bridge and we would have been stranded. I managed to turn around and make it back home.

Sunday was Christmas Eve and I woke up early. I could not open my front door and snow had piled up on the window sills so high I could not see out the front of the house. I managed to push the kitchen door open and went outside with a tape measure. The snow on my car in the driveway was 22 inches deep. It snowed another couple of inches that day. We woke up Christmas (Monday) morning and the sun was out. The temperature, which had not been above freezing since the Thursday before, was 40 degrees by 11 am. By 3 pm the roads were passable again.

Somewhere I have some pictures of this storm. I've never seen anything like it - anywhere.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

That’s hilarious. When I saw the topic of the thread I got a little nervous . I know a few that might have some 80s flashbacks .

It never snows in Columbia. I’m originally from Greenville and when I was a little boy it would snow a foot a few times a year it seemed. Here my kids never see snow.

When was that snowstorm in SC?
I remember it well. I was in the 7th or 8th grade. It was coming down hard and they sent us home from school by about 10:00. Luckily my daddy went and got us a kerosene heater. The power was out for days. We ended up with (I think) around 13-14 inches. It was incredible. At that time Lake City had a bunch of tobacco warehouses, and I'm pretty sure they all collapsed. We were out of school for days. Being a kid I didn't realize we were seeing history.

I remember it well. I was in the 7th or 8th grade. It was coming down hard and they sent us home from school by about 10:00. Luckily my daddy went and got us a kerosene heater. The power was out for days. We ended up with (I think) around 13-14 inches. It was incredible. At that time Lake City had a bunch of tobacco warehouses, and I'm pretty sure they all collapsed. We were out of school for days. Being a kid I didn't realize we were seeing history.
I was in HS and we were “set free” early that day. I remember a group of us driving over to a hamburger place off Broad River Rd with heavy flakes of snow falling. Traffic was bad, as you’d expect in Columbia when snow falls.

Daughter in western VA bout to get slammed in the morning.
I have some coworkers in Winchester, VA who are bracing for that storm. They are expecting 12-18" in this storm which will likely keep them at home for a couple of days. The montana folks always roll their eyes when we get the emails that the offices in VA are closing because we never get snow days out here. But while the folks in this office know what lots of snow looks like, they dont know what serious traffic looks like. Traffic in NoVa barely works on a good weather day. Add some snow to the mix and it would be like the apocalypse.

My best friend lives here in Marion, NC was born and raised in Lake City.

Reactions: importcock
My best friend lives here in Marion, NC was born and raised in Lake City.
Small world. He must be one of the smart ones. LOL. Got out of Lake City. We probably knew or knew of each other back in the day. LC is a pretty small place.

Born and raised in the upstate but only one white Christmas that I remember. Now In the Midlands where I live it would be rarer than hen's teeth.

Born and raised in the upstate but only one white Christmas that I remember. Now In the Midlands where I live it would be rarer than hen's teeth.

Dum spiro spero

s://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/historical-probability-of-white-christmas

It never snows in Columbia. I’m originally from Greenville and when I was a little boy it would snow a foot a few times a year it seemed. Here my kids never see snow.
The last appreciable snowfall in Columbia was January 2014 when it snowed about 6 inches. We've had some flurries and light accumulation since then, but absolutely nothing in the last 3 winters. If it doesn't snow this winter that will be 4 winters in a row without even a flurry.

When I checked the weather forecast here in Lancaster about 7am it said it was 37 and raining but felt like 30 so why wasn't it snowing instead?

The last appreciable snowfall in Columbia was January 2014 when it snowed about 6 inches. We've had some flurries and light accumulation since then, but absolutely nothing in the last 3 winters. If it doesn't snow this winter that will be 4 winters in a row without even a flurry.
Good.

I was in New Hampshire in January of my senior year in college, and never saw grass the entire month.

Lake City had a tough football team in 1959.
I'm getting pretty old but that's a little before my time. We also had a pretty good team around 09-10 I think. But a little too thugish. They got into a brawl with Wilson High and weren't allowed to play in the playoffs. I believe Shon Carson was the star on that team.

Lake City had a tough football team in 1959.

My friend played for Lake City probably during that time period, he finished Lake City in 1962. He had an uncle that was on the football staff and in fact there is a athletic building named after his uncle today.at Lake City.

I drove through Lake City one time on my way to Myrtle Beach and I thought it was a pretty neat little town, Just driving through the town it seemed nicer than the town I live in, Marion, NC. The reason I drove through the town was because my company had a plant in Kingstree many years ago and I think most of Management team lived in Lake City.

ADVERTISEMENT