ADVERTISEMENT

I just read we have four of five Offensive Lineman returning from last year's team.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Surely, I mean surely there will be some improvement across the offensive front. We were last in the SEC in sacks allowed last year. Surely, we can improve somewhat.

I'm with you, Freddie. With 80% of the OL returning, surely there will be improvement. It's logical. Another year of strength and conditioning + the past year's playing experience + new coach (there's usually a first-year excitement boost) + a QB with a year under his belt, ought to equal better performance. I'm on board.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Surely, I mean surely there will be some improvement across the offensive front. We were last in the SEC in sacks allowed last year. Surely, we can improve somewhat.
Shirley, we will be able to improve upon those numbers. We may even move all the way up to next to last in the SEC in sacks allowed this year. That would be an improvement, wouldn't it?

Shirley, we will be able to improve upon those numbers. We may even move all the way up to next to last in the SEC in sacks allowed this year. That would be an improvement, wouldn't it?

Here is another unflattering statistic, I think we were last in rushing yards last year (I could be wrong about that).

giphy.gif

It may be a talent issue. We need to recruit better linemen. However, there is no excuse for us not to improve at all this season on the DL.
alot of it has to do with other factors, If you are behind you pass more, thus causing more sacks, If you QB holds on to it to long, if your receivers cant get open, not saying this happens, just are factors

Bringing back 80% of something that was really bad may not necessarily mean it will be good the next time around...

But yes.. Logically you'd think there'd be some improvement along the line as the experience grows.

As I said above, talent in the SEC means something. But hopefully we can make some improvement with experience. It may mean only moving up to 13th in the SEC in sacks allowed.

Last edited:
Here is another unflattering statistic, I think we were last in rushing yards last year (I could be wrong about that).

I believe that has a lot to do with us beginning season with d Williams and a freshman ( a turner ) as well as OL not playing great. Stanley injured , knot hurt , plus OL coach. Dowdle did not play til halfway of seaso plus we had no true passing threat. All that contributed. Now we have quality RB depth , a passing game , and hopefully better OL with better OL coach

I believe that has a lot to do with us beginning season with d Williams and a freshman ( a turner ) as well as OL not playing great. Stanley injured , knot hurt , plus OL coach. Dowdle did not play til halfway of seaso plus we had no true passing threat. All that contributed. Now we have quality RB depth , a passing game , and hopefully better OL with better OL coach

And here is hoping that all of our guys stay healthy and can make meaningful contributions throughout the season.

They definately proved last year that being big don't mean you're necessarily good. We may be wishing 6 weeks from now we had lost more than one. But a new coach and another year makes me think it will get better.

Reactions: Heyward1
Improvement? Yes we will be just find, new coach will help. It will be very interesting! Go Cocks! Not quite ready to hit somebody yet, getting close.

We had John Hunt previous to Wolford's first stint here. We went from absolutely horrendous to decent. Elliot was not a great OL coach but his product was light years ahead of Hunt's. Wolf is without a doubt an upgrade and I look for us to actually be decent to good compared to other SEC teams. That ability to pound out some first downs and control clock will improve our defense also. This will be a fun year.

I didn't follow the team last year to speak of due to reasons beyond my control. Did Zandi just not workout? I thought when we signed him he would have been good. I always thought he had a tremendous upside.
He was 6'9" and imposing but as mobile as a Ford Maverick. He tried hard but was easily run around on a speed rush. Right now we have Bailey, who is mean and all SEC, Park who is decent and three guys that wouldn't start at any other SEC team. Glad we got Wolford back; he is a player's coach.

I never really got the Elliott OL coach thing anyway he was a DE at App. State right? Never cared for the over the top running into each other and high fives during pregame. The more business like approach with the coach me have now should work (I hope).
Do you know how many successful coaches, at all levels, never played a down of football? Lol...

You will see improvement, no doubt. Now whether that means more wins, who knows. Cant afford any injuries, thats a big key.

Oh boy howdy. We can't afford any injuries really but reality tells us there will be some. It's impossible to go through an SEC season without some injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT