ADVERTISEMENT

I just saw this as it pertains to the ACC, Big 10 and Pac12. Enjoy.

It's more than a non-event, but I think it's not a revolutionary development. It's a reactionary move born out of a need to respond to a truly revolutionary development of which they are not a part.
It could really become a problem in scheduling teams from those conferences down the road. This is a circling of the wagons and an agreement not to aid and abet other group(s) not within their alliance. May not be revolutionary, but could be very effective against that revolution. And what may make it more effective is that they have the large population base behind them.

Reactions: SparkleCity
It could really become a problem in scheduling teams from those conferences down the road. This is a circling of the wagons and an agreement not to aid and abet other group(s) not within their alliance. May not be revolutionary, but could be very effective against that revolution. And what may make it more effective is that they have the large population base behind them.
I think UPC will still be playing us. I also still believe our conference will move to nine games, maybe more so because of this. Our schedules are going to be stout enough and there will be some decent G5 teams to play.

I think UPC will still be playing us. I also still believe our conference will move to nine games, maybe more so because of this. Our schedules are going to be stout enough and there will be some decent G5 teams to play.
Agree with us going to 9 or 10 conference games and that there will be some good G5 teams to play....especially since it appears that some of the remaining Big 12 teams will end up there. If UPC wanted to hurt us individually they could quit playing us.

What's the big deal? They have to do something. The SEC started all of this. You can't expect for the SEC to do whatever and the other conferences just roll over and die.
But if this is all they've got, they might as well. Now, if these conferences meaningfully expand, they might have something. They won't be able to trump what the SEC just did, but expansion will be more substantive than this.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

This will have about as much effect as when Notre Dame announced they had joined the ACC in everything except football. They then simply scheduled a few ACC games per year. That’s all this is…..an agreement to schedule a game or two between the conference.

But if this is all they've got, they might as well. Now, if these conferences meaningfully expand, they might have something. They won't be able to trump what the SEC just did, but expansion will be more substantive than this.
How can you say an alignment of 41 Universities that includes Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St. Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford isn’t a big deal. If those member institutions agree to agree or disagree on any policy that policy will go in that direction.

This seems like much ado about nothing, except that it means the CFP will be HIGHLY political in determing the format. All of the Conferences not named SEC will try to stick together and NOT let the SEC have 5 teams in a 12 team format. Although we all know 5 of the top 10-12 teams can and will be SEC teams. So in that regard, this will work against us.

These conferences could easily demand no more than 2 or 3 teams from a single conference gets into the CFP, which would REALLY hurt the SEC, and wouldn't effect them because they are not deep in talent.

This will have about as much effect as when Notre Dame announced they had joined the ACC in everything except football. They then simply scheduled a few ACC games per year. That’s all this is…..an agreement to schedule a game or two between the conference.
You are missing the point. It's about being able to establish a voting bloc that is unified in controlling the outcome of all votes taken on issues such as playoff expansion.

They are aware how badly the SEC wants it opened up to 12 teams with the addition of OK/TX. I believe they will try to restructure this now to ensure the SEC doesn't get 4-5 teams in for any given year.

How can you say an alignment of 41 Universities that includes Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St. Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford isn’t a big deal. If those member institutions agree to agree or disagree on any policy that policy will go in that direction.
An "alignment" is not a conference. An "alliance" is not a conference. The UN is an alignment. Just look at it.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
......or NATO. Some alliances work well together....and, to borrow an old adage, "the whole is greater than......"
As long as theses conferences are separate, they will be, first and foremost, competitors. That will only ramp up when they start individually expanding. That will mean they are still competing. If they eventually merge, break into divisions, and start crowning a single champion in each sport, then I will be impressed. Until then, they've got nothing.

As long as theses conferences are separate, they will be, first and foremost, competitors. That will only ramp up when they start individually expanding. That will mean they are still competing. If they eventually merge, break into divisions, and start crowning a single champion in each sport, then I will be impressed. Until then, they've got nothing.
You and I see this development differently. That "alliance" has big schools with massive fanbases in most of the highest populated states in the country.

Reactions: adg4419
You and I see this development differently. That "alliance" has big schools with massive fanbases in most of the highest populated states in the country.
But doing what? They'll be playing a few games against each other. But unless they're playing on the first Saturday in December, they ain't doing jack.

Reactions: tngamecock#
But doing what? They'll be playing a few games against each other. But unless they're playing on the first Saturday in December, they ain't doing jack.
Who says they won't be playing on the first Saturday in December?

And they can control the CFP as far as growth and participation. What's the SEC going to do if they don't like it....take their ball and go home? Three-quarters of the country wouldn't care. The games that alliance could put together would draw attention...UND v Michigan, TOSU v SoCal, etc, etc....

This was originally promised as an agreement, turns out the announcement itself says "no agreement". It isn't really an alliance at all. Just a present intention to work together on a collaborative approach surrounding the future evolution of college athletics and scheduling.

Last edited:
Not sure how to post it but there is an alliance video out showing them all together against the SEC

Not sure how to post it but there is an alliance video out showing them all together against the SEC
From their public announcement, buried down near the end: "“While there is no contractual agreement between the three leagues as far as it relates to the alliance”.

From their own announcement, a direct quote: “While there is no contractual agreement between the three leagues as far as it relates to the alliance”.
I would guess a written agreement between 3 seperate entities would take a while to work out all the details.

I could see one particularly large issue......UND. The ACC wants to keep them and the B1G wants them.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
I would guess a written agreement between 3 seperate entities would take a while to work out all the details.
Sure, if those details don't take money from one and give to the other, right? But that is inevitable, right? I am sure the Big Ten is the big dog financially here and it isn't giving money to the other two. This announcement was for public consumption to take pressure off the cries to "do something, the SEC is getting too strong." There is no meat there if no agreement. It isn't like lawyers are just working out unimportant details. There is money at stake and no one has agreed to give any up.

is this like a guild, or affiliation ? I like Notra Dame pary of one & while I would nearly never pull for ND, this whole thing makes me giggle.

Sure, if those details don't take money fromI one and give to the other, right? But that is inevitable, right? I am sure the Big Ten is the big dog financially here and it isn't giving money to the other two. This announcement was for public consumption to take pressure off the cries to "do something, the SEC is getting too strong." There is no meat there if no agreement. It isn't like lawyers are just working out unimportant details. There is money at stake and no one has agreed to give any up.
Doubt the B1G will part with any of its money....they simply make way too much to do so. And if they can find a way to add UND as well as most likely Kansas that will improve their payouts even more. The B1G payouts per team have been on average $5-10M more per year than the SEC payout per team....add UND to that and......

The unknown in all this is the new PAC 12 commissioner....he is as media savvy as any ,and has tons of connections.

The ACC has some attractive teams in good states and they just need to start finding a way to win again. They will never get to the level of the B1G and may end up getting surpassed by the PAC 12 as far as money goes.

This isn't a realignment of the conferences, simply a group of 3 independent conferences looking to strengthen its out-of-conference muscle.

Last edited:
Doubt the B1G will part with any of its money....they simply make way too much to do so. And if they can find a way to add UND as well as most likely Kansas that will improve their payouts even more. The B1G payouts per team have been on average $5-10M more per year than the SEC contract....add UND to that and......

The unknown in all this is the new PAC 12 commissioner....he is as media savvy as any ,and has tons of connections.

The ACC has some attractive teams in good states and they just need to start finding a way to win again. They will never get to the level of the B1G and may end up getting surpassed by the PAC 12 as far as money goes.

This isn't a realignment of the conferences, simply a group of 3 independent conferences looking to strengthen its out-of-conference muscle.
ND has a contractual commitment to join the ACC in football if they align with anyone in all sports. I don't know for how long the deal runs.

Reactions: rogue cock
If I had to guess, this is about them boosting their RPIs as much as they can (with an extended playoff on the horizon) while contributing to the SECs RPIs as little as they possibly can.

If I had to guess, this is about them boosting their RPIs as much as they can (with an extended playoff on the horizon) while contributing to the SECs RPIs as little as they possibly can.

Or simply voting to limit the number of playoff participants from each conference. That vote alone could be large, if they force participation by all the conferences instead of 6 sec teams, osu and clemson.

King's point was valid............they will have to do much more than this for it to be a big deal. Big wow, it's like the ACC/Big Ten challenge..............several schools play a team from another conference. I guess it would be more interesting to have someone like Michigan come to town once over that all powerful game against Syracuse.

Or simply voting to limit the number of playoff participants from each conference. That vote alone could be large, if they force participation by all the conferences instead of 6 sec teams, osu and clemson.
I am pretty sure the SEC would just not participate and we would go back to the AP poll and Coaches Poll to decide the national champ. Just like the six or seven decades before 1998.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT