ADVERTISEMENT

I just saw this as it pertains to the ACC, Big 10 and Pac12. Enjoy.

I am pretty sure the SEC would just not participate and we would go back to the AP poll and Coaches Poll to decide the national champ. Just like the six or seven decades before 1998.

I would hate to see the sec pull out, because I think the rest would go ahead, and we'd have a playoff champion and an sec champ.

In all honesty, I think the sec would rather grumble over only having a limited number of participants than having none in the playoffs.

I am pretty sure the SEC would just not participate and we would go back to the AP poll and Coaches Poll to decide the national champ. Just like the six or seven decades before 1998.

A. if the SEC choices not to participant, I personally don’t see how you can call the SEC champion the National champion.

B. A limit on how many teams a conference can put in the 12, if that’s what it is, has already been discussed at 4. That rule will happen. I just wonder if the other 3 conferences will want it to be less per se 3.

C. Some can believe the SEC product can sustain itself at its current number but I don’t buy it. There will be zero parity considering it’s usually Alabama and everyone else. Also can’t call yourself national champion if 3/4 major conferences are left out.

Reactions: rogue cock
I would hate to see the sec pull out, because I think the rest would go ahead, and we'd have a playoff champion and an sec champ.

In all honesty, I think the sec would rather grumble over only having a limited number of participants than having none in the playoffs.
Yeah, no way the SEC will pull out of the CFP. Too much money lost.

Yeah, no way the SEC will pull out of the CFP. Too much money lost.

The fact that we and the rest of the SEC is still talking about this "Alliance" means it could be trouble for us. The hope is we can break the Alliance up with offers to OSU, Michigan, Clemson, FSU, etc. Then there is no "Alliance" and the SEC is still the most powerful conference in college football.

The fact that we and the rest of the SEC is still talking about this "Alliance" means it could be trouble for us. The hope is we can break the Alliance up with offers to OSU, Michigan, Clemson, FSU, etc. Then there is no "Alliance" and the SEC is still the most powerful conference in college football.
But none of what may happen will tempt the SEC to withdraw from participating in the CFP. That was the point of my post.

This will have about as much effect as when Notre Dame announced they had joined the ACC in everything except football. They then simply scheduled a few ACC games per year. That’s all this is…..an agreement to schedule a game or two between the conference.
I agree! I don't think it's anything except an attempt by the BIG, ACC and Pac 12 to make a little puff of smoke. It's obvious the SEC is the big dog in college football and they are going to be that way for awhile.

Reactions: tngamecock#
A. if the SEC choices not to participant, I personally don’t see how you can call the SEC champion the National champion. You couldn't. It would have to be who the AP and/College polls name.

B. A limit on how many teams a conference can put in the 12, if that’s what it is, has already been discussed at 4. That rule will happen. I just wonder if the other 3 conferences will want it to be less per se 3. The SEC will be happy if it goes to 12, they will be unhappy, staying at 4.

C. Some can believe the SEC product can sustain itself at its current number but I don’t buy it. There will be zero parity considering it’s usually Alabama and everyone else. Also can’t call yourself national champion if 3/4 major conferences are left out. You shouldn't be calling yourself anything, that is up to the pollsters. The 3 major conferences you mention basically has 5 teams that have any chance at an NC. USC, Oregon, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU. The SEC has OU, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida to more than match the lineup from the other conferences combined. 12 of the last 16 BCS champions are in the SEC now. It isn't really 3 conferences. It is really just Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, Oregon and USC. The rest of those conferences don't matter. The SEC has more leverage than you credit.

Who says they won't be playing on the first Saturday in December?
UND and Michigan have played each other for years. TOSU and Southern Cal are just throwbacks to some old Rose Bowl matchups. If this alliance isn't playing a Championship Game in December, they ain't done jack. And limiting the number of teams a league can get into the playoffs will only invalidate the playoffs. You might as well go back to the big bowls and the polls to pick a champion. It would be a better system.

UND and Michigan have played each other for years. TOSU and Southern Cal are just throwbacks to some old Rose Bowl matchups. If this alliance isn't playing a Championship Game in December, they ain't done jack. And limiting the number of teams a league can mget into the playoffs will only invalidate the playoffs. You might as well go back to the big bowls and the polls to pick a champion. It would be a better system.
First..all the best teams do not come from the SEC...it has one of the best teams, Alabama. Sorry, but they aren't the "end all, be all" of college football. TOSU, Clemson, and Oregon stand as good a chance of playing in a championship game as does Bama. Georgia is no different than Michigan....a talented team with bad coaching. Wisconsin is more consistent than LSU. Penn State and Texas are former powehouses that haven't produced as much lately, but both are still very capable. Then you have FSU, SoCal, Stanford, and several other programs in the PAC and ACC that are a coach away from being good to great again....recruiting is not an issue for them.

Second, limiting the number of teams from a particular conference to participate in the CFP will no more invalidate the playoffs than it did the BCS games, especially an expanded one. Only one team can win and if your conference's best team can't, then frankly you probably didn't deserve any additional teams. The more teams from more conferences the more interesting the competition and the more eyes that will be watching.

Second, the population base and the fan bases that the ACC, B1G and the PAC schools have are much greater than those schools in the SEC.....and it's not really close. But if the SEC wants to take it's ball and go home to play an SEC championship....so be it. I think it will kill the SEC as far as any national significance.

Sorry...but I don't get this egocentrism that SEC fans want to play. I have lived in the midwest, those schools have tons of fans....and, honestly, they care less about SEC schools than we care about them. Heck, I even have the B1G channel down here as part of my regular subscription package because there are enough alumni and fans here to justify it.

Sure, if those details don't take money from one and give to the other, right? But that is inevitable, right? I am sure the Big Ten is the big dog financially here and it isn't giving money to the other two. This announcement was for public consumption to take pressure off the cries to "do something, the SEC is getting too strong." There is no meat there if no agreement. It isn't like lawyers are just working out unimportant details. There is money at stake and no one has agreed to give any up.
What they want to accomplish with the alliance is to control the playoff rules and format AND create new revenue streams for those in the alliance.

They can align all they want the SEC has nothing to worry about. If for some reason the SEC wanted to add any of these programs all they would have to do is offer. Any one of them would gladly accept save Notre Dame or Clemson.

First..all the best teams do not come from the SEC...it has one of the best teams, Alabama. Sorry, but they aren't the "end all, be all" of college football. TOSU, Clemson, and Oregon stand as good a chance of playing in a championship game as does Bama. Georgia is no different than Michigan....a talented team with bad coaching. Wisconsin is more consistent than LSU. Penn State and Texas are former powehouses that haven't produced as much lately, but both are still very capable. Then you have FSU, SoCal, Stanford, and several other programs in the PAC and ACC that are a coach away from being good to great again....recruiting is not an issue for them.

Second, limiting the number of teams from a particular conference to participate in the CFP will no more invalidate the playoffs than it did the BCS games, especially an expanded one. Only one team can win and if your conference's best team can't, then frankly you probably didn't deserve any additional teams. The more teams from more conferences the more interesting the competition and the more eyes that will be watching.

Second, the population base and the fan bases that the ACC, B1G and the PAC schools have are much greater than those schools in the SEC.....and it's not really close. But if the SEC wants to take it's ball and go home to play an SEC championship....so be it. I think it will kill the SEC as far as any national significance.

Sorry...but I don't get this egocentrism that SEC fans want to play. I have lived in the midwest, those schools have tons of fans....and, honestly, they care less about SEC schools than we care about them. Heck, I even have the B1G channel down here as part of my regular subscription package because there are enough alumni and fans here to justify it.
You took awhile to come up with that. You have directed several points to me that I haven't even raised or suggested.

As for the SEC, since the BCS era began, I can think of five SEC schools that have won national championships. What other league can claim that?

As for limiting the number of teams from a league that can be in the CFP, how is that not putting one's thumb on the scales and how does that not invalidate the process, regardless of what league is penalized by it?

Then there's this one:

Who is suggesting that he SEC would go it on its own and not participate in the CFP? Certainly not I and certainly not the SEC. I was already aware where the population centers are and where the largest schools with the most living alumni are. I've been aware of those facts for probably 55 years.

I'm also aware that population in the contiguous 48 states is shifting southward and somewhat westward, but I assume you know that as well. Here is an indication. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/26/us/politics/congress-house-seats-census.html

What they want to accomplish with the alliance is to control the playoff rules and format AND create new revenue streams for those in the alliance.
There certainly will be a showdown on the playoff rules, but I don't know how this creates any new revenue stream. It is already being ignored in game scheduling.

First..all the best teams do not come from the SEC...it has one of the best teams, Alabama. Sorry, but they aren't the "end all, be all" of college football. TOSU, Clemson, and Oregon stand as good a chance of playing in a championship game as does Bama.
12 of the last 16 national champions are now in the SEC. It isn't just Alabama. Oregon has never won a NC. Sure there are a half dozen teams outside the SEC that can win an NC, but there are a half dozen inside as well. The SEC has as much power as the other 3 conferences combined, football wise.

I think UPC will still be playing us. I also still believe our conference will move to nine games, maybe more so because of this. Our schedules are going to be stout enough and there will be some decent G5 teams to play.
I do think there may be a possibility that we lose our rival game with them some where down the road. The SEC already showed that Florida, Georgia and SC doesn't get a say when they stopped us from playing last year. A lot of historic rivalries may be in jeopardy in the future.

If you want a playoff that is only for the best teams, there should be no limit how many teams from a conference gets in. There should not be any automatic bids either. With automatic bids you could get a scenario where a conference champion my not be ranked in the top 15 but they still get in. Automatic bids screw things up. After all games including conference championships are over, pick the best 12 teams. No limit on conferences, no automatic bids.

I do think there may be a possibility that we lose our rival game with them some where down the road. The SEC already showed that Florida, Georgia and SC doesn't get a say when they stopped us from playing last year. A lot of historic rivalries may be in jeopardy in the future.
We will not lose that game, however many of our fans wish we would but won't say it out loud.

Anyone, maybe save Nebraska, in the B1G. SEC would have to buy the payout and the grant of rights money for anyone in the ACC.....that would be a huge burden on all current SEC schools.
I agree. Unless the payout could be somehow reduced, I think it would be a deal-breaker. Multiple schools would be a bigger deal-breaker.

You took awhile to come up with that. You have directed several points to me that I haven't even raised or suggested.

As for the SEC, since the BCS era began, I can think of five SEC schools that have won national championships. What other league can claim that?

As for limiting the number of teams from a league that can be in the CFP, how is that not putting one's thumb on the scales and how does that not invalidate the process, regardless of what league is penalized by it?

Then there's this one:

Who is suggesting that he SEC would go it on its own and not participate in the CFP? Certainly not I and certainly not the SEC. I was already aware where the population centers are and where the largest schools with the most living alumni are. I've been aware of those facts for probably 55 years.

I'm also aware that population in the contiguous 48 states is shifting southward and somewhat westward, but I assume you know that as well. Here is an indication. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/26/us/politics/congress-house-seats-census.html
Sorry, but have been in and out of meetings and court all day. I don't disagree that the SEC has been dominant during the BCS era and since, they've also put the most schools in those games. But the only consistent team has been Alabama, they carry the flag for the SEC. And as I said Michigan, SoCal, FSU and other schools are only a good football coach away from being highly competitive. None have a problem recruiting or with money.

And, while the midwest and norteast may be losing some population, I don't think you will ever see SC, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. get anywhere near their population. And just because they are coming here doesn't mean they change allegiances....we have TOSU, Michigan, Penn State, UND and Wisconsin bars (off the top of my head) that have watch parties during the fall and they are packed. We have more B1G srea school bars than we do SEC and ACC combined.

Last edited:
If you want a playoff that is only for the best teams, there should be no limit how many teams from a conference gets in. There should not be any automatic bids either. With automatic bids you could get a scenario where a conference champion my not be ranked in the top 15 but they still get in. Automatic bids screw things up. After all games including conference championships are over, pick the best 12 teams. No limit on conferences, no automatic bids.
If you only want the BEST teams, why would you invite teams number 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12?

Because those who choose 1-12 or 13 or 14 or 15, etc.... are just as biased and subjective as they have always been....might as well go back to the BCS.

In all honesty, can anyone point to a 5th ranked or lower team that really needs to be included?

I like the 4 team, as long as we're talking about picking a champion, and not just making more money.

Because those who choose 1-12 or 13 or 14 or 15, etc.... are just as biased and subjective as they have always been....might as well go back to the BCS.

I don't know about going back to the BCS because I've heard horror stories about some of the computer polls they used but we know that teams ranked below 6th or so is in no way a National Championship level team.

...And, while the Midwest and northeast may be losing some population, I don't think you will ever see SC, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. get anywhere near their population. And just because they are coming here doesn't mean they change allegiances....we have TOSU, Michigan, Penn State, UND and Wisconsin bars (off the top of my head) that have watch parties during the fall and they are packed. We have more B1G area school bars than we do SEC and ACC combined.
I don't think overtaking them in population is either necessary or desirable. Being in a less populated region hasn't hurt the SEC up to now and I suspect will not going forward. And when you think about it, even though Northerners maintain allegiance to their schools when they move, which they should, if they are moving here in large numbers, which they are, then they have already changed allegiance in a more fundamental way.

In all honesty, can anyone point to a 5th ranked or lower team that really needs to be included?

I like the 4 team, as long as we're talking about picking a champion, and not just making more money.
Don't know. But whenever you have a limited number of teams, the last couple or few selections will always be argued....vehemently. Especially when those teams seldom, if ever, play each other.

Heck, look at the consternation we go through attempting to justify an NCAA Basketball Tournament selection.

Don't know. But whenever you have a limited number of teams, the last couple or few selections will always be argued....vehemently. Especially when those teams seldom, if ever, play each other.

Heck, look at the consternation we go through attempting to justify an NCAA Basketball Tournament selection.
The NCAA tournament selection may have it's troubles but in the end, the team that survives and wins the trophy is the best team. A four team playoff cannot determine the best team in my opinion but it is a fair argument to say that there is a much smaller number of teams that can win the football championship compared to the basketball championship.

I certainly can. Because inevitably there are going to be undefeated BYU's, Cincinnati's or Boise State's that take up one of those 4 spots. Put Ohio State and an SEC champ and Clemson in the others and there will be a 12-1 Note Dame, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama that is really the best team and could show it in an 8 team (or 12) playoff.

Just look at Alabama's 2011 national championship team. No way they make the 4 team playoff if Stanford, Boise and Oklahoma State win another game each. Alabama didn't even play in a conference championship game.

I certainly can. Because inevitably there are going to be undefeated BYU's, Cincinnati's or Boise State's that take up one of those 4 spots. Put Ohio State and an SEC champ and Clemson in the others and there will be a 12-1 Note Dame, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama that is really the best team and could show it in an 8 team (or 12) playoff.

Just look at Alabama's 2011 national championship team. No way they make the 4 team playoff if Stanford, Boise and Oklahoma State win another game each. Alabama didn't even play in a conference championship game.

I suppose I'm coming from the angle that recently there has been a large separation between the top 3 and the rest.

And I start to question if teams that didn't win their own division really deserve the shot. But that's talking "deserve" and not counting on a team getting hot at the end of the season. I remember the Bama example, and that falls under the "deserved" debate, imo. But I also think that's an outlier, and not the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT